Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Duraframe300

Arcane
Twitter just nearly gave me a heart attack

B5pdOsNIAAAo2ry.jpg:large

For a fake I like though how another tab is gay sex with hats.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
infinitron is suggesting that the guy that was partly responsible for a a few of the good bits of a post apocaliptic RPG with shooting mechanics is the man for the job for a an isometric RTwP, party based game set in fake europe. Because "they are both rpgs".

He was the lead designer of Baldur's Gate 3 : The Black Hound.

But you are such a dedicated dumbfuck shiposter you probably missed an information pasted everywhere.

Try. Harder.

Lhynn

Arcane
He was the lead designer of Baldur's Gate 3 : The Black Hound.

But you are such a dedicated dumbfuck shiposter you probably missed an information pasted everywhere.

Try. Harder.
Hey fagasaurus, im talking about actual games here bro. I dont see how him being in charge of a canceled title from which we have little to no information is of any relevance. You should have mentioned IWD2, but you didnt, because it was shit.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
He was in charge of what Project Eternity is essentially supposed to be about and brought it to 80% completion according to the readily available sources. Said sources gave a description of the game that seemed full of incline.

IWD2 was supposed to be a disaster and from all the accounts we got Sawyer made the best out of it.

He's creating a system from scratch, which I think is a mistake, that turned out to not be complete failure in the firsts tests. Which is an achievement Numenera failed miserably at in it's full release.

There's a fine line between criticising, disliking versus being a dedicated anti Sawyer shitposter and you are stepping on the wrong side.

Lhynn

Arcane
He was in charge of what Project Eternity is essentially supposed to be about and brought it to 80% completion according to the readily available sources. Said sources gave a description of the game that seemed full of incline.

IWD2 was supposed to be a disaster and from all the accounts we got Sawyer made the best out of it.

He's creating a system from scratch, which I think is a mistake, that turned out to not be complete failure in the firsts tests. Which is an achievement Numenera failed miserably at in it's full release.

There's a fine line between criticising, disliking versus being a dedicated anti Sawyer shitposter and you are stepping on the wrong side.
Am i tho? havent been posting regularly about this game for months, and when i do i take breaks from it because every fucking choice he makes strikes me as so god damn retarded and obvious that me and a huge number of codexers are well past the point of giving a shit. I dont really have a problem with that asshole, i have a problem with what hes doing to muh BG spiritual successor.
As for IWD2, it would have been fine as a glorified expansion pack, i cannot understand how they fucked up so royally bad that a teenager with a boner for IE games dropped it midway because it was that boring.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I think you're confusing IWD2 with NWN2.

Lios

Cipher
Sure romantization is a major factor in loving Obsidian
and of course growing up you get to piss on most things romantic because that's how it rolls, but,
I suppose that I kinda accepted the bugginess and the campy at times humor as another trademark of theirs
Plus I enjoyed their games even if I wanted to punch my screen during playtime in some cases

ALPHA PROTOCOL: is an amazingly addictive piece of shit. I've finished it 3 times and most probably I'll do it again in the future
KOTOR 2: can't be played without restoration mod or else you'll need to punch your kids to let go of the rage for such a missed opportunity
NEVERWINTER NIGHTS 2: well throwing pebbles to the sea and staring at the circles in its surface is more exciting than hunting down the Shadow Krieg or what was the name of that nefarious dark lord, plus obnoxious companions for the most part, also as far as the camera thing goes when I first played it I thought that it was my fault because I was drinking from the morning. I enjoyed it though and don't ask me why.
NWN 2 MASK OF THE BETRAYER: More surrealism which is good, don't dig the epic epicness in games in general but this was a pretty solid title
NWN 2 STORM OF ZEHIR: if I was a P&P addict when I was a kiddo maybe I could dig it more, some concepts were cool (f.e skill checks and uses) but generally I wouldn't replay it, it gets a pass though from me cause it's an interesting little fella
FALLOUT NEW VEGAS: kinda saved the Fallout franchise from going full retardation mode as far as I can comprehend, and had great fun with it. What I didn't like in this game wasn't Obsidian's fault anyway (1st person view and combat etc etc)
DUNGEON SIEGE 3: Never played it.
SOUTH PARK STICK OF TRUTH: is big budget and very well polished, south park + Obsidian combination worked because the game felt as if these two sides were highlighting each other's strong points, but I couldn't care less for South Park anyway, so I tried it a little in a friend's house and didn't touch it again.

POE seems like another wild card and that's what it gets me horny with these Obsidian guys
cause I'm pretty sure that even if some mechanics are shit or the game is buggy as hell or whatever
I'll still pretend a relative died a horrific death and skip work for a week in order to finish it,
all in all I think Obsidians get more praise than they might "deserve" but man would I like
to see them keep poppin games up in the future.

*oh as for Armored warfare, well a man has to eat .

Cadius

Santa Monica Studio
Developer
don't answer this question :troll:
Thanks for the heads up. Should be okay considering.. :)

Cadius what areas of the PE code are you working on ?
I'm just bug fixing. Not implementing anything new and not focusing on anything in particular. So if you're wondering if you can pick my code apart, the answer is probably not.

I was the lead engine / optimization programmer on armored warfare before this, so doing whatever I can do that requires little-to-no ramp up time. Really just want to do what I can to help before I start elsewhere.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So if you're wondering if you can pick my code apart, the answer is probably not.

Nope, that's not why I was asking.

Will you be doing any optimization on PE too? Or just bug fixing ?

One of my mates from Estonia is doing a postgrad in C++ optimization, he enjoys it. (But yeah PE is C#)

Cadius

Santa Monica Studio
Developer
Nope, that's not why I was asking.

Will you be doing any optimization on PE too? Or just bug fixing ?

One of my mates from Estonia is doing a postgrad in C++ optimization, he enjoys it. (But yeah PE is C#)
If I get thrown bugs that say to do so, then sure. I've resolved some hitching issues / stalls when using certain abilities, if that counts. Just kind of blindly taking care of what gets thrown at me for another few weeks.

A language is just a tool to get a job done, and no tool is best for everything. C++ just happens to give you a lot of control over OOO and memory management, which makes fine tuning the code /process possible. There are certain optimizations that can be made for any game, regardless of language used to program it. I'm pretty sure I've asked every applicant/candidate at Obsidian about optimizations in the interview, and it's very unfortunate that most entry level applicants don't understand the concept of cache coherency or how to avoid/reduce cache misses. I think your mate is doing the world a favor by keeping the art alive.

Name

Cipher
I'm digging around sites, and have a vague feeling that they are burying the tie between Obsidian and Skyforge. I mean developers from Obsidian did appear in those "diary" videos, but there is no Obsidian logo on any of these videos or sites, and Obsidian website only lists Armored Warfare and the external link to that forum.

It's not they are hiding it, it's just they are not presenting it the way it was first announced.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I'm digging around sites, and have a vague feeling that they are burying the tie between Obsidian and Skyforge. I mean developers from Obsidian did appear in those "diary" videos, but there is no Obsidian logo on any of these videos or sites, and Obsidian website only lists Armored Warfare and the external link to that forum.

It's not they are hiding it, it's just they are not presenting it the way it was first announced.
They are presenting it exactly the same way if not more prominently. Also nearly everything regarding western PR has Obsidian or more specifically Eric DeMilt in it. That includes interviews and videos even outside the dev diaries. Like that recently released developer walkthrough.

Also what?

http://sf.my.com/us

The Obsidian Logo is right there! Lower right corner. Sure its not as prominent as the Allods logo, but it never was.

Name

Cipher
They are presenting it exactly the same way if not more prominently. Also nearly everything regarding western PR has Obsidian or more specifically Eric DeMilt in it. That includes interviews and videos even outside the dev diaries. Like that recently released developer walkthrough.

Also what?

http://sf.my.com/us

The Obsidian Logo is right there! Lower right corner. Sure its not as prominent as the Allods logo, but it never was.

Haha I missed that. They really makes it look like that Obsidian is a My.com subsidiary.

Tigranes

Arcane
Obsidian logos have always been demoted to little corners due to the publisher-developer power relationship, which is why so many people thought FNV was a Bethesda game or NWN2 was a Bioware game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom