Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Lhynn

Arcane
So there's an interesting dialogue with Caesar, a couple of interesting interactions (something smaller than a dialogue I suppose) in the NCR military camp and an interesting concept of a secret society. So basically 20 minutes of interesting stuff out of a few dozen hours of gameplay. Yep, looks like we played the same game after all.
Nope, those are the highlights, while gameplay isnt very good exploring that game is really enjoyable, world building was pretty awesome this game. Sadly it has little replay value, once youve seen everything you really are done with it.

naossano

Cipher
I am not sure Bester played the games.
FoNV has a lot of good stuff.
The best companions since Fo2, the most open-ended MAIN quest, good way to handle the BOS, Freeside & the Strip, Dead Money, Benny, Finally plotlines about Nightkins, which actually deliver, etc...

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The best companions since Fo2, the most open-ended MAIN quest, good way to handle the BOS, Freeside & the Strip, Dead Money, Benny, Finally plotlines about Nightkins, which actually deliver, etc...

> Someone disagrees with me about the subjective quality of a story line / quest content quality
> Must be lying and never played it

naossano

Cipher

> Someone disagrees with me about the subjective quality of a story line / quest content quality

It is not about the overall quality.
It is about finding some good plots and characters in the game.
The former can hardly be agreed by everyone, while in the latter, you just have to find at least one instance. (or more)

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

It is not about the overall quality.
It is about finding some good plots and characters in the game.
The former can hardly be agreed by everyone, while in the latter, you just have to find at least one instance. (or more)

I have a question and it's an honest question I'm not trolling or picking holes in what you're saying.

Do you believe that a game gets a pass as long as something good can be said about it, even though overall it might not be very good?

EDIT.. actually this question shouldn't just be aimed at you so I'll throw it out to anyone who cares to reply.

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher
Depends on what you call giving a pass.
On the specific topic of FoNV, i found a lot of things enjoyable in it, not just plotlines, but also RPG mechanics that were deeply missing in previous titles (FoT-FoBOS-Fo3), like the reputation system, the faction system, the faction clothes, the many things you can change within the factions that have impact in the end. I think the meat of the game, what i was looking for, quite enjoyable. On the other hand, i can't stand the gamebryo gameplay, and i consider that there is far too much combat filler, courtesy of Bethesda's Fo3 engine & philosophy. Also, there are holes in some areas, like the lack of any Legion actual settlement with civilians.
Overall, it was welcomed after Fo3-FoBOS and i really intend to finish the four path. But on the other hand, i don't think i will replay it afterward, as there are too many things that i didn't enjoyed and don't want to go through again.
It isn't perfect by any means, but it should be given credits when it deserve.

More generally, it depend on the balance between good and horrible things, and what you consider important between those things. Still, if the end result sucks, it doesn't prevent from seeing what it good, like there are always bad things in good games.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New Vegas is best played without fighting. It is to this day my favorite playthrough. I didn't have to bother with the "pick up stuff stuff a la Elder Scrolls" gameplay and just focus on the characters and story. You can still have other NPCs killed by other people.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I wish I knew why you guys like New Vegas over here. It had very little of the original Fallouts, even the color palette was entirely different. A slightly better Fallout 3 if you will, still shit as a Fallout RPG, though.

Stop expecting an open world action RPG to play like an isometric zoned turn-based RPG and maybe you'll be on your way toward realizing why so many of us like it. It's hard to enjoy a steak when you only want to taste chicken.

Athelas

Arcane

More like he didn't even mention any reasons why he thought it sucked. He just mentioned he didn't remember anything about it, which is basically an argument of ignorance.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I wonder when we're going to find out details about obsidian's non-tank non-card game project.

After researching for Obsidian trademarks I found, they hadn't trademarked Pillars of Eternity. Only Project Eternity is trademarked and it is expired. Maybe Codex should trademark PoE and not give it up until Sawyers resigns? It would be glorious!
Expecting troll? I am dead serious

The following is for 90% false positive, so don't get hopes up.
So the Wheel of Time is this project Obsidian was going to make but it's somehow stopped/ has unclear status?
34i2r0j.jpg

Corporation SC 129 really is the company to which the franchise belong. Also, this document was published few months after Feargus claimed there are not gonna make the game. It looks there were some rough time registering the trademark, so maybe Fergus statement is no longer current. If I remember correctly Obsidian is working on 2 or 3 secret projects as for now? Duraframe300
It nearly certainly means nothing, because there is also an older filing:
206lfgw.jpg
:

Name

Cipher
After researching for Obsidian trademarks I found, they hadn't trademarked Pillars of Eternity. Only Project Eternity is trademarked and it is expired. Maybe Codex should trademark PoE and not give it up until Sawyers resigns? It would be glorious!
Expecting troll? I am dead serious

The following is for 90% false positive, so don't get hopes up.
So the Wheel of Time is this project Obsidian was going to make but it's somehow stopped/ has unclear status?
34i2r0j.jpg

Corporation SC 129 really is the company to which the franchise belong. Also, this document was published few months after Feargus claimed there are not gonna make the game. It looks there were some rough time registering the trademark, so maybe Fergus statement is no longer current. If I remember correctly Obsidian is working on 2 or 3 secret projects as for now? Duraframe300
It nearly certainly means nothing, because there is also an older filing:
206lfgw.jpg
:

The IP holder, Red Eagle Entertainment, plans to make movies, games based on the property, etc. Apparently the age of 21 century Tolkien trend soon passes, and bloody and gritty stuff now dominate the entertainment, so if they can't find funding then, they won't have any luck now.

Oh they also tried social mobile gaming on Kickstarter, failed too...

Anyway we can basically cross this off...

naossano

Cipher
They will rename it "the staying of Sawyer"
Anyway, it would be nonsense to fire the designer at this step of the project.
Main design would have been done anyway. At least, there would be consistency with the same guy.

Athelas

Arcane
That's pretty odd. He describes it a 'fun game' so that would rule out any games Obsidian is working on. :happytrollboy:

Duraframe300

Arcane
I asked him if it was for Pillars or a new project

Instead of giving me an answer he favorited the tweet

:troll:

So, which conclusion to draw...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom