Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Our Lord MCA is working on "something" but we don't know what it is (The kickstarter or something else).

Probably a spinoff his high school RPG idea where instead of a student you play a twitter gender warrior chased from her home by mean gamers

Duraframe300

Arcane
In people that come up with some weird fake Wikipedia articles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_Roses_:_Silly_Slayers

Rumble Roses : Silly Slayers is an upcoming wastelinesexy females-only street fighting game that was developed by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Deep Silver for Microsoft Studios,Feral Interactive and Nintendo of America. The fighting game is descripted to be announced in Q2 2015 on Computers, New 3DS and Xbox One. It's the sucessor of the Rumble Roses series.

However the thought of this being a reality and the codex reaction to it would be just too delicious.
:troll:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obsidian does it again

JES said:
PLEase, for the love of GOD, tell the higher ups at OBsidian to make a modern darklands style menu based RPg
"historical games don't sell."

Josh said:
Have they heard about the most beloved and huge selling game series ever, set in historical times, Assassin's Creed?
when i brought up assassin's creed up in one of these discussions, someone said, "yeah but assassin's creed is, like, fun."

history is anti-fun and you need to work your way out of it.

Josh, make a turn-based gun game that makes Wasteland 2 look like amateur hour first.

It can take place in the early 20th or possibly 19th century if need be.

Athelas

Arcane
FEARGUS! :argh:

Though I don't see how bringing up Assassin's Creed success is an argument to support that historical games can be succesful. The AssCreed games have always been about anything BUT historical events, choosing instead to focus on the sci-fi-ish templars/assassins nonsense. Also, what may sell like hotcakes for one genre ('gritty' realism for FPS'es and action games) doesn't necessarily apply to another genre like RPG's.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Josh said:
Have they heard about the most beloved and huge selling game series ever, set in historical times, Assassin's Creed?
when i brought up assassin's creed up in one of these discussions, someone said, "yeah but assassin's creed is, like, fun."

history is anti-fun and you need to work your way out of it.

All the more surprising as it's the same type of fallacious BS Obsidian had to face : "top-down iso RPGs just don't sell".
Anyway someone needs to read a little bit of Dumas : "il est permis de violer l'histoire, à condition de lui donner un enfant." Obs guys can write, can't they ? So where's the fucking problem ?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wondered why Paradox decided to make an RPG that set in a fantasy world, despite their other in-house hits were all historical games. Historical RPGs don't sell?

Anyway, goddamn Obs.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wonder why they think "historical games [or RPGs] don't sell." It's not like there has been any historical RPG since Darklands, unless I'm forgetting something. Plus, Paradox's historical strategy games seem to sell well enough. I hope it wasn't the failure of the Ars Magica KS that made them think so.

Not to mention that even Darklands is historical fantasy rather than pure history, and JS's spiritual successor wouldn't have to be non-fantasy either.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All the more surprising as it's the same type of fallacious BS Obsidian had to face : "top-down iso RPGs just don't sell".
Anyway someone needs to read a little bit of Dumas : "il est permis de violer l'histoire, à condition de lui donner un enfant." Obs guys can write, can't they ? So where's the fucking problem ?
Reminder that only a single person at Obsidian believed their ks would be successful.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
obsidian are slamdunkers. project eternity is a freaky crowdfunded exception.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's not like there has been any historical RPG since Darklands, unless I'm forgetting something.

Expeditions: Conquistador failed so everything else historical ever must also fail. It's Marketing 101.
:rage: Obsidian. Maybe try making a good game, regardless of the fucking setting, for once.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
I don't really like Obsidian, mainly because of piss poor, half assed quality control.. but if I was happy with everything else I could probably get over that, the main motivation for me being a frame of mind to actually want to hate on Obsidian is because of Chris Avellone.

Chris once said in an interview (this was after PS:T had fully established it's rep, can't find the interview anymore, can't prove what I read :/) [paraphrasing] That PS:T was too wordy, it would never be made again like that, but he came off as really disparaging towards it and if he looked down on it and by extension those of us who considered it the best thing since sliced bread.

Considering that it's the best thing he's ever been involved in it really put me off the guy, it made me think that PS:T was a fluke (and seeing the rest of his stuff maybe this isn't so far off the mark) and that he felt entitled to negate everyone's (generally agreed) opinion just because he made it (the quality of which he hasn't been able to duplicate since).

It just annoyed me, it stuck with me and I kind of ignore him now. (Like he knows I exist, lol.)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I don't really like Obsidian, mainly because of piss poor, half assed quality control.. but if I was happy with everything else I could probably get over that, the main motivation for me being a frame of mind to actually want to hate on Obsidian is because of Chris Avellone.

Chris once said in an interview (this was after PS:T had fully established it's rep, can't find the interview anymore, can't prove what I read :/) [paraphrasing] That PS:T was too wordy, it would never be made again like that, but he came off as really disparaging towards it and if he looked down on it and by extension those of us who considered it the best thing since sliced bread.

Considering that it's the best thing he's ever been involved in it really put me off the guy, it made me think that PS:T was a fluke (and seeing the rest of his stuff maybe this isn't so far off the mark) and that he felt entitled to negate everyone's (generally agreed) opinion just because he made it (the quality of which he hasn't been able to duplicate since).

It just annoyed me, it stuck with me and I kind of ignore him now. (Like he knows I exist, lol.)

I feel almost the same way except about Josh Sawyer.. To me MCA is kind of a chatty patty who really likes to talk about what's going on in his head at any time. He may have thought PS:T was too wordy for that form of game. It can be a little daunting to read through essays of text in a video game when you have the capability to show something instead..

This is what hopefully makes games a little more powerful then a choose your own adventure book.

While we are ranting on Obsidian Celebrities:
Josh Sawyer on the other hand has turned into an unapologetic SJW who can shit on almost any games when he has yet to actually design a single game well. Someone please point to a game Josh has designed and without question stand behind to this day. It doesn't exist. He will blame anyone and anything about why his genius couldn't be fully utilized and why every game he touched / is currently touching will turn into a blundering mess.

I even heard him once tweet that he sometimes has to shout at people he works with (as Obsidian) when it comes to showing too much cleavage or not portraying woman’s rights properly in games. He actually yells at co-workers over this?

He is just a dweeby little white knight web developer that got hired at Black Isle through a fluke of chance and was the biggest DnD player at the company at the time so they threw his ass on some dying project Interplay wanted to rush out the door for a quick buck.
Then some how the job title stuck. I can seriously picture this douchy little dweeb bicycling around California with all his gear on yelling at people driving for not respecting his lane while wearing a "I need feminism because.." shirt.

Last edited:

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Josh Sawyer has never been someone I cared enough about actually form an opinion of, good or bad.

Obviously I've heard the name but I've never considered him a significant enough anything, just "Yeah, there's a guy called Josh Sawyer that people talk about, meh." and the only reason I can think of that would cause that is, that whatever he's been involved in had made such little impression on me that I've never bother wanting to find out who was behind it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Josh Sawyer has never been someone I cared enough about actually form an opinion of, good or bad.

Obviously I've heard the name but I've never considered him a significant enough anything, just "Yeah, there's a guy called Josh Sawyer that people talk about, meh." and the only reason I can think of that would cause that is, that whatever he's been involved in had made such little impression on me that I've never bother wanting to find out who was behind it.

Which is probably an even bigger insult to his massive ego then my long typo filled rant. (this keyboard is horrible)

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

Which is probably an even bigger insult to his massive ego then my long typo filled rant. (this keyboard is horrible)

I like rants.. do moar. I tend to indulge a lot myself:)

Seaking4

Learned
I wonder why they think "historical games [or RPGs] don't sell." It's not like there has been any historical RPG since Darklands, unless I'm forgetting something. Plus, Paradox's historical strategy games seem to sell well enough. I hope it wasn't the failure of the Ars Magica KS that made them think so.

Not to mention that even Darklands is historical fantasy rather than pure history, and JS's spiritual successor wouldn't have to be non-fantasy either.

For plenty of the PoE interviews Josh Sawyer kept saying that isometric CRPGs never stopped selling but that people just stopped making them so of course there was nothing left to buy. I could kind of picture him trying to use the same argument (of course without a successful Kickstarter backing him up).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom