Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

dukeofwhales

Cipher
They would be silly to reveal it before PoE is released and it turns out to be pretty good after all, considering the negative reception to the beta. But, they do have staff to pay.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They would have to be completely insane to launch the new KS until PE comes out.

It worked for Fargo, (Torment) that isn't going to work for Obsidian.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
They could have probably launched it before the beta when all the press about the game was positive. Now they've gotta wait till its out.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How much they'd get depends on the pitch.

I think most people who crowdfunded PoE aren't paying too much attention to the beta or beta feedback. Teacup tempest.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How much they'd get depends on the pitch.

I think most people who crowdfunded PoE aren't paying too much attention to the beta or beta feedback. Teacup tempest.

Yeah, here's the thing - during Wasteland 2's beta period, Brother None made it abundantly clear to me that despite appearances on this forum and the WL2 official forum, the beta's reception had on the whole actually been extraordinarily positive.

I don't have any such contacts at Obsidian, so I don't know if the same is true for PoE. I imagine the reception might be not quite as good since even mainstream gaming journos have complained about the combat, but that was probably inevitable - RTwP design is more difficult.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
SA and badgame seem to like it more than the IE games, although I think as a whole they don't like the IE gameplay that much anyway so that's not an achievement. But yeah I've seen way more negative reception about PE than the WL2 beta.

I've also noticed that most people only play the game for a little bit when a new patch comes out and then that's it - and that playthrough represents their impression of the beta, the impression a lot of people are having about v301 is "omg this is way better", when it actually isn't, in fact it's worse due to bugs, but it's a lot easier.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.megacynics.com/

000552.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm actually both those things to Obsidian though.

Like I'm pretty confident someone at Obsidian said this with me and others in mind.
"I definitely know the type of backer, at least that are super-crazy, sometimes almost scarily, passionate," the individual said. "But not really any who took it too far. To be honest, we pretty much only had good experiences with these types of folks — in the end, anyway. I will say there were times that I definitely worried, 'oh crap, this person is maybe a little too into this, this could go either way.' There's a worry all that excitement and energy is going to turn against you.

"The flipside is, I think you really need these 'crazy' people who are dissecting every tweet and pore over every detail of everything you say," the individual added.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Random bit of info about Obsidian's current effort into Skyforge (by Eric DeMilt)

- Currently ca. 7 people large (Expanding)
- 2 primary teams are built up. (Class Development and Level Design teams)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom