Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Duraframe300

Arcane

Hi!

Bester has not been banned. Bester is on 1 month moderator review at the OBS forums. Moderator review is when we manually approve his posts in order for them to become visible. This is typically necessary when we do find ourselves deleting a lot of someone's posts. Actually, I can't even remember the last time we banned someone.

Yeah, in 4 years I've never heard of someone banned which is why that would have surprised me. As far as developer forums go Obsidians belongs to the most lenient imo.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, they don't actually "ban", they just put you on "moderation queue" and then basically never approve a single thing you say because it contradicts their own opinions.
They also send you humiliating PMs saying that you should "think on what you said and how it affected everyone's feelings" and that they've "received complaints about your posts, which upset a lot of people", etc. They're like neo-nazi teletubbies. If your post doesn't shine, it's bad.

I once made a joke about rape and got suspended for a week, because "rape is a very serious subject and by making fun of it, you are condoning it".
Just tell them FUCK YOU, and register with a new account.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bester won't post there anymore, will he? he was a fun troll. Not up to Volourns standards, but still decent.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
An ancient evil has awoken: https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/515591800716005377

TbWapUu.png

:hero:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Missed opportunity: not calling it P1llars of 3tern1ty Tw0. POET.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sawyer showing off his rig + talking about vidya games

http://www.pcgamer.com/show-us-your-rig-pillars-of-eternitys-josh-sawyer/

Excerpt:

What's always within arm's reach on your desk?

At home, there's always some RPG rulebook on or near the desk. I try to keep up to date on new RPGs and every once in a while I'll pull an old book off the shelf to refresh my memory. I recently revisited Cyberpunk 2020 and Over the Edge, those were wild. Now, I'm reading through the D&D Next/5th Ed. player's handbook, The Burning Wheel, and various Ars Magica supplements. The home computer's guardians are two ceramic cats my girlfriend found somewhere (one repainted to look like my cat), an odd Japanese cat tape dispenser, and a wooden whale whose sole purpose is to hold my little space pen.

At work, there's always a tiny Field Notes notebook, a bunch of dice, and, sadly, a Coke Zero in reach. Various dictionaries and grammar books also get desk duty. Under the main monitor, Grand Wizard Cartman, a tiny model BMW Isetta, and a mini Eames elephant keep watch.​

What are you playing right now?

Papers, Please. I think it's a great game, and it does a fantastic job of merging mechanics with the themes of the story. We've been playing some Tribes at work but, unfortunately, I'm no good at it anymore. I'm a little way into Child of Light, which is also pretty fun but unusual for me, style-wise. The combat system is enjoyable and the art style is beautiful though. Unfortunately, I only have about an hour in on Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2 is coming out next week. My go-to quick game is still Hitman: Blood Money, I never get tired of goofing around on those maps.

I honestly haven't played it recently, but I have to recommend Kentucky Route Zero. I don't care if it fits a universal definition of "game" but it's enjoyable and really well made.

What's your favorite game and why?

I still go back to the original Fallout, Pool of Radiance, and Darklands. The last in that list may be my true favorite just because it's the most obscure of the three and the one that helped generate my interest in history. It was an extremely unusual RPG for its time and still is, even now. It opened my mind to different ways of playing with common RPG rules and concepts.​

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh's work spaces are a million times classier than Chris's.

Damn he sure likes his ram. What do you need 16 gb for, Josh???????????

and, sadly, a Coke Zero in reach
I knewwwwwwwwww it
2qnxnk9.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
Disable virtual memory, use a 4 GB ramdrive for the system temp folder and applications' 'working' folders, and you've got ~8 GB ram used after Win7 64 finishes loading. Without virtual memory, a lot of 64 bit games will use > 4 GB memory. Memory isn't expensive, 16 GB is the pragmatist's choice.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Josh's work spaces are a million times classier than Chris's.

and, sadly, a Coke Zero in reach
I knewwwwwwwwww it
2qnxnk9.jpg

You should lay off that shit Josh. Zero is more fattening and worse for your body than an actual gosh-darned Coke, which is already pretty shitty.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
>Zero is more fattening and worse for your body

Lolwhat? Hmm lessee.. 430kcal per liter in normal coke. 0 kcal and therefore 0 sugar in coke zero. Yeah, definitely more fattening and overall worse.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There have been studies that suggest regularly consuming artificial sweeteners can lead to weight gain because of the way the fake-sugar tricks your body.

I only have one a week so I'm fine.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Only because it tricks your body into feeling hungry/craving actual sugar and causing you to consume more energy elsewhere though, right? So as long as you watch your food intake outside of the diet soft drink you should be fine.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Still I really wouldn't recommend getting your daily dose of sucralose, aspartame or acesulfame-k. That shit is nasty.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Only because it tricks your body into feeling hungry/craving actual sugar and causing you to consume more energy elsewhere though, right? So as long as you watch your food intake outside of the diet soft drink you should be fine.
Crunch-time isn't great when it comes to maintaining self-control. :P

Jelly beans and other assorted candies are Josh's weakness.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The research isn't definitive at this point, but some studies seem to suggest that artificial sweeteners trigger metabolic processes in the body that are meant to break down sugar. The theory goes that if you consume enough artifical sweetener, often enough, the body stops releasing enough of these hormones when you do consume sugars. Supposedly this leads to things like diabetes and other metabolic disorders.

Regular soda is shit too, which is why I stick to scotch.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Meh, you can have small spikes of insulin due to fake sugar. Nothing to worry about. If you'd drank two regular cokes, those spikes would've been ginormous. Each can of coke contains 8 cubes of sugar. It's like drinking tea with 8 cubes of sugar. It's crazy.

eremita

Savant
Meh, you can have small spikes of insulin due to fake sugar. Nothing to worry about. If you'd drank two regular cokes, those spikes would've been ginormous. Each can of coke contains 8 cubes of sugar. It's like drinking tea with 8 cubes of sugar. It's crazy.
It's okay, if you're an athlete... But of course not if your days consist of sitting on a couch with xbox controller in hand...:patriot:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I remember when one of Chris's e-stalkers here noted that he was no longer in a relationship thanks to Facebook. Avoid that garbage.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't avoid it. Just make sure it's not public. And don't spend every waking moment on it.

Stan: Naw. All or nothing is easy. But learning to drink a little bit, responsibly, that'sa disciprine. Disciprine... come from within.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I don't know if I missed something, when will Obsidian reveal or start the second Kikctarter ? Is it delayed like PoE?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom