Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/chris-avellone/

- Obsidian has at least two unannounced projects. Chris Avellone did core work on one and lead writes on the other.

The development team also consists of a number of the key people from the original – Creative Lead Colin McComb, and programmer Adam Heine as the Lead Designer (Adam writes better than me, btw, so he basically does everything better than me), and Aaron Meyers, who did environment art for the original Torment.

Adam Heine Is this a response to something you posted recently? :)

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What ever it is they're doing, I hope they stay away from fantasy for a while.

Duraframe300

Arcane

- Obsidian has at least two unannounced projects. Chris Avellone did core work on one and lead writes on the other.
It says he just finished core writing on an internal project, which I'm pretty sure is the two companions for Pillars.

OTOH, 'unannounced internal projects' is technically plural, although that could just be a typo.

For example, in the past month, I was doing core writing work on one of our internal projects, now I’m illustrating cartoon Kickstarter backer rewards, and also doing creative lead duties on another of our unannounced internal projects scripting lore and world sourcebook material

- Why didn't he just name that project?
- Another unannounced implies that the first project is unannounced as well. Also *our*. Considering both our and plural.....

Athelas

Arcane

It says he just finished core writing on an internal project, which I'm pretty sure is the two companions for Pillars.

OTOH, 'unannounced internal projects' is technically plural, although that could just be a typo.

For example, in the past month, I was doing core writing work on one of our internal projects, now I’m illustrating cartoon Kickstarter backer rewards, and also doing creative lead duties on another of our unannounced internal projects scripting lore and world sourcebook material

- Another unannounced implies that the first project is unannounced as well. Also *our*. Considering both our and plural.....
Because he was speaking generally about what he does on an average day. The interview doesn't have a single mention of PoE, by the way.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Because he was speaking generally about what he does on an average day. The interview doesn't have a single mention of PoE, by the way.

Because he was never asked about it. And even then it does name it by saying Kickstarter. Which there it didn't.

And that doesn't answer my second point.

Duraframe300

Arcane
And with that last revelation I once again list projects Obsidian is currently known to work on

Pillars of Eternity (+expansion)
Unannounced Project (Chris Avellone is creative Lead. Most likely original IP)
Unannounced Project
Armored Warfare
Skyforge (Co-Developer. Small team)
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Additionally Brian Heins is Project Lead on one of the unannounced projects with Constant Gaw as Lead Level Designer. Furthermore is Andre Nguyen Lead on something. Theres also to think about that they acquired the Pathfinder license long-term. So other stuff might come from there also.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It wouldn't surprise me if one ends up being the Kickstarter rpg and the other some console game. The pathfinder rpg will probably only happen in a year or two, I think.

jdinatale

Cipher
New pictures of Joshua E. Sawyer all ready for Halloween

552436_10151264985475600_1227481410_n.jpg

222457_10151264981255600_656859826_n.jpg

Theres also to think about that they acquired the Pathfinder license long-term.

I would LOVE to see them do something with this. It better be turn based though.

I have no inside knowledge about this, but I would be very surprised if Feargus (or Paizo for that matter) set this licensing deal up with the intention of making their first and, for all intents and purposes, flagship Pathfinder CRPG into a RtwP game. My impression is that Obsidian (correctly, and especially in the wake of Blackguards, D:OS' and WL2's relative success) recognizes that there is a sizable market niche for tactical TB games that they are currently not getting a slice of. As much as people love to make fun of Feargus for being a bit of a schlub and making so many SLAMDUNKS!, it's no coincidence that Obsidian (and Black Isle before it) remain(ed) afloat under his tenure (albeit with a few hiccups, such as the 2012 layoffs at OES). The man is very good at recognizing markets and market trends.

Not to mention Paizo and OES could pretty much just print money (once they have an engine built) by making one-for-one adaptations using the PF AP as design docs.

That's not to say that I would be surprised if OES/Paizo announces a RtwP 'spin-off' series of licensed PF games somewhere down the line.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Hi. We at Obsidian Entertainment really love our backers' input. Seeing as you're a PoE beta participant, we'd like to invite you to our forums, because we're really anxious to read what you have to say.
Oh, and by the way, we just banned you from our forums for calling Zoey Quinn a w-star-star-hore, because that's racism and mysogeny. Have a good day.

So, hello everyone.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hi. We at Obsidian Entertainment really love our backers' input. Seeing as you're a PoE beta participant, we'd like to invite you to our forums, because we're really anxious to read what you have to say.
Oh, and by the way, we just banned you from our forums for calling Zoey Quinn a w-star-star-hore, because that's racism and mysogeny. Have a good day.

So, hello everyone.

IP address: Not in California

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

So, hello everyone.

Qiu5QLw.png

Duraframe300

Arcane

So, hello everyone.

Read that post again. Though I can't imagine what bester did to get banned. Theres plenty of people critical of Zoe on the Obsidian forums. And you don't usually get banned there at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

So, hello everyone.

Read that post again. Though I can't imagine what bester did to get banned. Theres plenty of people critical of Zoe on the Obsidian forums. And you don't usually get banned there at all.

Yeah, I get it. I just wanted to make things clear for everybody else.

http://forums.obsidian.net/user/51705-bester/

Doesn't look banned to me, but maybe you don't see. He does seem to be a regular poster in "The Patriarchy" thread. :P

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Yeah, they don't actually "ban", they just put you on "moderation queue" and then basically never approve a single thing you say because it contradicts their own opinions.
They also send you humiliating PMs saying that you should "think on what you said and how it affected everyone's feelings" and that they've "received complaints about your posts, which upset a lot of people", etc. They're like neo-nazi teletubbies. If your post doesn't shine, it's bad.

I once made a joke about rape and got suspended for a week, because "rape is a very serious subject and by making fun of it, you are condoning it".

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yeah, they don't actually "ban", they just put you on "moderation queue" and then basically never approve a single thing you say because it contradicts their own opinions.
They also send you humiliating PMs saying that you should "think on what you said and how it affected everyone's feelings" and that they've "received complaints about your posts, which upset a lot of people", etc. They're like neo-nazi teletubbies. If your post doesn't shine, it's bad.

I once made a joke about rape and got suspended for a week, because "rape is a very serious subject and by making fun of it, you are condoning it".

Considering knowing who posts there I have trouble believing your post or at least at the degree you are describing it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Why the fuck would you post those kinds of things on the official forums of a game development company. That's why generalist fan forums like this one exist, you know.

Anyway, our GamerGate thread is over here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ping-ground-currently-airing-gamergate.90469/

But you'll have to survive in the gaming forums for a year before we give you access to the really good stuff. Good luck. :hero:

Last edited:
They also send you humiliating PMs saying that you should "think on what you said and how it affected everyone's feelings" and that they've "received complaints about your posts, which upset a lot of people", etc.

So... you're admitting to being humiliated by someone pointing out (in private messages no less) and expressing their disagreement with certain statements you've made?

FFS.

You're either:

A) A masochist

B)A troll

C)An idiot

or

D)All of the above

In any case, welcome to the Codex, I guess- you should feel right at home.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:lol:

Discrimination: Obsidian has a zero-tolerance policy with regard to racial, ethnic, gender, religious, disablement, and/or sexually discriminating remarks.

Objectionable Content: The use of abusive, vulgar or profane language, even if hidden through the use of symbols or other characters is not tolerated. Intentionally posting workarounds to our language filters are prohibited. Posts may be edited or deleted at any time by the moderation team, and depending on the severity and frequency of said posts, the poster may be censured or banned.

Private companies/individuals have the right to disallow any content they wish on their forums.

Tigranes

Arcane

Hi!

Bester has not been banned. Bester is on 1 month moderator review at the OBS forums. Moderator review is when we manually approve his posts in order for them to become visible. This is typically necessary when we do find ourselves deleting a lot of someone's posts. Actually, I can't even remember the last time we banned someone.

I always found it interesting that people would try and argue with us about why post X is not racist, or why post X is free speech, or why whoever they were calling retarded deserved it. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong. But, uh, you'd think it's obvious that OBS mods don't exist to perpetuate their principles of speech to the world, they exist because there are some things a family friendly game developer (I know, South Park...) don't want on their own website.

Bester welcome to the Codex!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom