Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Duraframe300

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

He doesn't seem as cheery about Icewind Dale 2's conversion to 3E as Feargus and Josh are.
One more reason i like him. Ad&D always felt better to me in the IE games than IWD2 3E

No, it's not about the qualities of the system. He's talking about the amount of work involved.

MCA said:
Icewind Dale 2 almost destroyed the programmers in the attempts to implement the new systems (although arguably, that wasn’t an executive row decision, it was a director decision).”

"Destroyed", wow! And Feargus in his Matt Chat interview makes it sound like it was all really easy. WTF?

Duraframe300

Arcane
MCA said:
Icewind Dale 2 almost destroyed the programmers in the attempts to implement the new systems (although arguably, that wasn’t an executive row decision, it was a director decision).”

"Destroyed", wow! And Feargus in his Matt Chat interview makes it sound like it was all really easy. WTF?

It got easier (or more like possible), but IWDII in general was insane work due to the timetable. That's not really surprising/ We knew that already.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A refresher of JES-thoughts regarding 3e in IWD2:
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/49192-iwd2s-use-of-3e-was-a-mistake/
Depends, did focusing on the change take away from improving other aspects of the game - coherent story, bugs, NPC development and so on....
Not really, no. Most of the work was on myself and programming, and I didn't spend the majority of my time working on it. The other designers were barely affected by any of the 2nd Ed./3E changeover stuff. As with any game, IWD2 had bugs, but the number and severity of bugs was pretty mild compared to the other IE games.

Most of the major flaws in IWD2 were developed during the first few months of the project, when we believed we were on a much shorter timeline. It was difficult to restore coherency or make other large course corrections later on. The 3E implementation was on a three-phase timeline that Malavon and I outlined early on. We never really knew if we were going to hit Phase 2 or 3, but luckily we did.

EDIT: A lot of the coherency issues came to light relatively late in the project, when we started doing extensive playthroughs. By that time, we could recognize that there were problems, but we didn't have time to overhaul the areas. For example, Targos and Shaengarne and the Ice Temple all feel very different and had many different problems during the course of development. It probably would have taken a long time to get those three areas to feel "right" and to better establish the story and characters in them.

Areas like the Fell Wood and Black Raven Monastery were the victims of vision exceeding grasp -- not because Dave made bad inherently bad designs, but because he kept running into engine and scripting limitations. There were aspects of the engine with which he was familiar on PS:T that were different in IWD2's code base, but he often didn't realize the difference until he had put a certain amount of time and effort into going down a particular path. He was disappointed with how he wound up having to implement those areas.

The question for us was never "do IWD2 or do something else". It was "leave IWD2 as a 2nd Ed. game or make it a 3E game". We didn't put 3E into IWD2 in "a fit of excitement". We put it in with a very clear idea of what we could and could not do in phased periods of development. We knew we couldn't implement meta-magic feats. We knew we couldn't implement AoOs. Given the responses of pretty much everyone in this thread (other than you and one other person), almost every professional reviewer, and my personal opinion on how the 3E in IWD2 came out, I have no doubt it was the right decision to make.

And after all this talk about Darklands in XIX USA I again remembered that nobody ever did Deadlands CRPG. Where's justice in this cruel world?
XsWeDAI.png

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't visit Facebook much.

Obsidian, I know someone over there is reading this. Make a turn-based rpg and call it Beta Protocol.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
And after all this talk about Darklands in XIX USA I again remembered that nobody ever did Deadlands CRPG. Where's justice in this cruel world?

If you watch that Feargus Matt Chat interview, Feargus mentioned he DID want to do a Deadlands cRPG.

I would throw wheel barrels full of cash at them if they did that (as long as it was turn based).

After they make the sci-fi KS game first, of course....

Duraframe300

Arcane
So, I checked out facebook and found this on Andre Nguyen's page (Recently worked as an animator on South Park)

https://www.facebook.com/gelatin?hc_location=friend_browser&fref=pymk

Huh

South Park DLC, possibly?

I'd think that train is long gone. Possible though.

From the wording in his bio on his twitter account I get the feeling its something other than SP

Finished animating South Park at Obsidian Entertainment. Now I work on other things at Obsidian. :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom