Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Exar Kun

Scholar
but i like boob....

Hormalakh

Magister
I appreciate creativity that's all. If the womyn were all fat and ugly, I'd have the same issue.

As for lizard head, especially lizard head.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I agree with Hormalakh, he appears to have range with men but his women are very same-y and look more like barbi dolls. It's the industry standard for the presentation of women, but it sure makes him look like a one-trick pony at drawing females. On the other hand, I think these show more potential

Z3sPnXG.jpg

BhRv7RD.jpg

V2zuFbo.jpg

Duraframe300

Arcane
Programmer Andrew Klinzing has rejoined Obsidian Entertainment. Andrew worked from 2006-2009 at Obsidian on Alpha Protocol.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, the worst part of the game was systems design. Followed by level design.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Level design was okay, I think. Gameplay and systems, the worst. And the horrible lack of polish.

That bug when all the enemies on the map vanish when you reload, that was borderline amateurish work.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Programmer Andrew Klinzing has rejoined Obsidian Entertainment. Andrew worked from 2006-2009 at Obsidian on Alpha Protocol.
:hmmm: Wasnt that like the very worst part of the game? well, besides animations.

Well, you might as well give the blame to design there. Remember, the game was a frankenstein monster that was constantly put new together again.

Literary stitched together. Keeping track of clean code there is insane. That the game came out as clean as it did and didn,t end up NWN2/F:NV is actually commendable.

And no it wasn't the worst part. Gameplay design was.

Duraframe300

Arcane
On that part remember the Anthony Davis anecdote when a designer thought it was a good idea to put a barrel full of fully physic enabled balls into the game.

Lhynn

Arcane
Literary stitched together. Keeping track of clean code there is insane. That the game came out as clean as it did and didn,t end up NWN2/F:NV is actually commendable.

It was worse than NV. Way worse.
Yup, on my first playtrough i had a glitch on the graphics and had to play it completely with black spots on the faces. But i didnt give a shit, i enjoyed it anyway, so much that it granted a replay on the same day i finished it,
I love AP, flawed as it is.

Duraframe300

Arcane

No, it wasn't.

Yup, on my first playtrough i had a glitch on the graphics and had to play it completely with black spots on the faces. But i didnt give a shit, i enjoyed it anyway, so much that it granted a replay on the same day i finished it,
I love AP, flawed as it is.

And the first thing people saw in NV was a head twisting around and flying off the body.

Of course NV got patched, AP wasn't.

But in no way was the launch version of NV better than AP.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I don't think I've ever had a major bug in NV. The very occasional crash or freeze, but nothing else.

When I played AP, I literally wanted to bash my fucking monitor sometimes.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The occasional crash or freeze is something you have to deal with in a lot of games. I don't see why that's shocking. Oblivion crashed on me every 20-30 minutes like clockwork and nobody talked up the bugs in that POS.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I don't think I've ever had a major bug in NV. The very occasional crash or freeze, but nothing else.

When I played AP, I literally wanted to bash my fucking monitor sometimes.

And I had zero bugs in Alpha Protocol. Dem difference in experience. Quantitativ NV has way more bugs than AP. Thats just (a very provable) fact. It's also the bigger game, so you can argue there.

Point is from what we know about AP's development you haven't seen half of the mess the game should have been. Even in your experience.

Xeon

Augur
I think I read in one of the interviews that Sega delayed the game even tho it was finished or something. Did they stop Obsidian from fixing the bugs during that time or something?

I also didn't experienced any bugs during my AP playthrough. FNV aside from rare crashes I didn't experience anything that terrible.

Edit:
It's very weird that while AP feels very rushed and unpolished, MCA says that it was ready for release earlier, and that the publishers made them wait to build up some hype...
Sega stopped funding shortly before October 2009 when it was originally supposed to be released. Everyone thought it was delayed to get more polish, and Sega even said as much.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/02/05/sega-on-alpha-protocol-delay-whats-been-changed/
"We had a few reasons for doing it. One: We wanted to position it better, give it a lot of time. The main reason: We really wanted to polish the game up, make it everything Obsidian planned it to be, and give the consumer a very polished game.

"We added a couple of other things. Tweaks in lighting here and there, added the inventory comparison screen so you can compare what you're buying to what you have equipped. Just bringing the whole quality level up."
Not mentioned: Lighting tweaks and inventory comparison were the only things done during those months

Last edited:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
There was an anonymous post somewhere on the net claiming to be from a developer who said that Sega were constantly sticking their nose in and asking for changes from a non-developer perspective.

Duraframe300

Arcane
There was an anonymous post somewhere on the net claiming to be from a developer who said that Sega were constantly sticking their nose in and asking for changes from a non-developer perspective.

Partly because Obsidian didn't know what to do. AP was a complete mess from both perspectives. Developer and Publisher.

Athelas

Arcane
About a decade late, but I'll take it. Some of those dialogue nodes in MoTB were sorta bugged.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom