Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
By the way, has anybody considered that Obsidian may be helping out with Paradox's new RPG, Runemaster?

Arkeus

Arcane
I'd be happy if Obsidian were making 1 isometric RPG (Eternity), one "popamole" RPG (South Park) and one AAA CRPG (New Vegas), the problem is we only know they are making Eternity and are helping out with 2 MMOs, once Eternity is out, what will they be doing for RPGs?
The expansion for PoE.

Then, depending on the success of PoE, either another game in that IP or a new kickstarter.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They'll be starting the next Kickstarter campaign before PoE is out, I'm very confident about this.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Long time Obsidianitie Joseph Bulock (2005-14) has left Obsidian for Riot Games. He worked on Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege III and South Park: Stick of Truth.

Duraframe300

Arcane
All these SPSOT are going to be leaving now aren't they?

No.

Not that I can tell. Alvin left for personal reasons, 2 QA's (who probably just moved on) and I have no idea why Bullock left. Maybe he wanted to go work on LOL for a while already. It does seem like a good time to move on when a project's finished.

Duraframe300

Arcane
It may also be that he got frustrated during SPSOT's development if my suspicisions were correct.

Hormalakh

Magister
so when POE is out and they're working on the expansion, will they do a kickstarter for POE2?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
so when POE is out and they're working on the expansion, will they do a kickstarter for POE2?
There have been previous statements that they would rather use kickstarter to launch new products instead of sequels.

Hormalakh

Magister
Well...only if PoE does well. Otherwise, they'd kickstart PoE2, right? which is why i'm asking. i doubt the next kickstarter will occur until after poe is released and they gauge the market.

Arkeus

Arcane
Well...only if PoE does well. Otherwise, they'd kickstart PoE2, right? which is why i'm asking. i doubt the next kickstarter will occur until after poe is released and they gauge the market.
We don't know, they could also launch a kickstarter just before they release the Alpha and they have some videos to show. After all, once they are in the Alpha/Beta stages they aren't using the environmental artists much anymore/etc i think, and so they may want to have a new kickstarter for those.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Unless they changed their minds the next Kickstarter arrives before POE releases and it's not going to be POE2.

If POE2 is going to be done by Kickstarter will rely upon the success of POE.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-25-yes-obsidian-really-is-making-an-mmo-tank-game

Mind you, he has openly talked about wanting to do this before, and said, back then, that he may reveal what the game is around April-time, which is roughly now.
That's been pushed back.

"South Park consumed more time and so, while we've been working on what that's going to be, we just don't feel like we've gotten it to where we need it to be, so we're going to push that out," he said. "My hope really is to look at an early Fall Kickstarter. We like that as well because we'll be done with Eternity."

So early Fall for a new Kickstarter.

Also: Ferg still wants to make Kotor 3, but is scared it might bloat the studio to an unsustainable size (cough Irrational Games cough).

Athelas

Arcane
Told ya they wouldn't do another Kickstarter until Pillarz was done.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Much unessescary comments by the interviewer. And too long stuck on the same questions.

Boring interview.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Told ya they wouldn't do another Kickstarter until Pillarz was done.
That might still happen. Early Fall is sooner than you'd think and a optimistic date for Pillars release.

And it's pushed back because of work on other titles. Not because of such a decision.

Athelas

Arcane
"I think we have a pretty cool idea for what that's going to be, but we want to vet it internally a little bit more. It gives us time, and then people don't think we're just going to use the money to finish Eternity."
So yes, the expected bad press of 'why are you doing a 2nd Kickstarter before the first one is finished?' is definitely a concern. As it should, if they want to raise a good sum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom