Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Flou

Arbiter
But why would she quit her job if she is pregnant? Some stupid American laws again that prevent the mother from having a maternity leave from work?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But why would she quit her job if she is pregnant? Some stupid American laws again that prevent the mother from having a maternity leave from work?

Maybe she has something less time-intensive lined up. Just because you can work a certain job while pregnant doesn't mean you want to.

I'm sure Obsidian offers maternity benefits, it's supposed to be a cushy place to work.

Flou

Arbiter

Maybe she has something less time-intensive lined up. Just because you can work a certain job while pregnant doesn't mean you want to.

I'm sure Obsidian offers maternity benefits, it's supposed to be a cushy place to work.

Maybe, but at least here in Finland, no one would hire a pregnant lady. Because the maternity benefit stuff would fall on the new company, not the old one. And that shit is expensive at least here and they would have to hire someone else to cover for her during her maternity leave.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dumpsterfire is a great Roguey-esque nickname but man you have to show some restraint for the greatest amount of effectiveness.

I'm very skeptical that after releasing three consecutive isometric RPG's that all have a pre-industrial fantasy setting, Feargus is going to greenlight another one, with the difference being that it would have less audience appeal and sell less than the others. Even Bethesda and Bioware understand the value of branching out into different settings (that is, different settings that are marketable).

Josh Sawyer's Historical RPG is a passion project that's not expected to bring in much money. It's a reward for valued service. It seems likely The Outer Rim: Subtitle will be released or at least announced beforehand.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That-Should-Do-The-Trick_o_98427.gif

It will be fun thing to watch,who knows,the game could surprise us all.....doubtful,but still.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

omg the whole lot of you with this has nothing to do with DEADFIRE! coming outs on April 3 and or she is getting away before the ship sinks or the stomrs hit or she is tossed over board okay? OKAY? She is moving to London and was professional about the situation and saw the completion of the game to a level she felt comfortable to be able to move on in her life. Gosh it happens okay? :salute:

Well that is what I think anyway so all the best to you Kat I hope you got to take your finger puppet with you.
heart.png
QmWPNZs.jpg

Thanks,
Sherry

agris

Arcane
Patron
I don't think so, even Sawyer said he will leave the game to someone else after it's released, that he will not be involved in DLCs or further development. He said he MIGHT be involved in some light tuning and that's all. It's over for dumpsterfire.
Man, what a vote of confidence in a product. "We produce this widget because the customer demands it. I relinquish any obligation to support the widget beyond a timeline I find palatable. I hope our widget sells well for the continued health of The Company. Our widget is the best widget, we based our widget on Popular Late 1990s RPG games"

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Honestly there is no big problem with a producer leaving. At this point the producer's job is mostly done and they are mostly just a glorified extra pair of hands for Q/A, there's no serious work to be done.

The hard yards of coordination the technology and tool building process was done, the gameplay pipeline is set up, the DLC will practically make itself.

Hi.

omg the whole lot of you with this has nothing to do with DEADFIRE! coming outs on April 3 and or she is getting away before the ship sinks or the stomrs hit or she is tossed over board okay? OKAY? She is moving to London and was professional about the situation and saw the completion of the game to a level she felt comfortable to be able to move on in her life. Gosh it happens okay? :salute:

Well that is what I think anyway so all the best to you Kat I hope you got to take your finger puppet with you.
heart.png
QmWPNZs.jpg

Thanks,
Sherry

Sherry leaking inside info :thinking:

I wonder who there is in London, London seems like a harder place to get a gamedev job, as opposed to say moving to Montreal.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
plz no that'd be the most boring and anticlimatic solution to Obsidian scooby doo mysteries.

First reply from MCA, in 8 mins. Its a celebratory event for him whenever someone leaves Obs :P

MCA’s butthurt has been an amazing thing to watch. I respect a man who can keep the flame of a grudge burning so fervently for this long.

Also, I’m pretty sure Kat was not THE Producer on Dumpsterfire Deadfire (a la BAdler on the first one). She was the producer for backer fulfillment or whatever and the coordinator for the artists.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't think so, even Sawyer said he will leave the game to someone else after it's released, that he will not be involved in DLCs or further development. He said he MIGHT be involved in some light tuning and that's all. It's over for dumpsterfire.

The deal he had with Feargus was that, if PoE2 does well, he'd get to do his history game. We've known this for a long time now.

You're projecting too much into this.
Didn't Sawyer say his dream project was a historical low fantasy RPG set in medieval times?

I'm very skeptical that after releasing three consecutive isometric RPG's that all have a pre-industrial fantasy setting, Feargus is going to greenlight another one, with the difference being that it would have less audience appeal and sell less than the others. Even Bethesda and Bioware understand the value of branching out into different settings (that is, different settings that are marketable).

Sawyer says it'd be different:

:M

Ha, funny hwo he claims Kingdom Come has 11 out of 10 accuracy in terms of armor design, I remember reading some posts by historian ripping it to shreds saying that all of the armor is bullshit and that Warhorse must have consulted some larpers with no idea how actual shit looked.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Honestly don't remember seeing many Josh Sawyer tweets about KCD, I wonder if he's caught between teh fact that KCD is his dream game and the one he's wanted to make all his life while being one of the best RPGs ever made, and the fact it's made by a gay hating antifa member who is the opposite of everything he stands for.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

The deal he had with Feargus was that, if PoE2 does well, he'd get to do his history game. We've known this for a long time now.

You're projecting too much into this.
Didn't Sawyer say his dream project was a historical low fantasy RPG set in medieval times?

Sawyer says it'd be different:

:M

Ha, funny hwo he claims Kingdom Come has 11 out of 10 accuracy in terms of armor design, I remember reading some posts by historian ripping it to shreds saying that all of the armor is bullshit and that Warhorse must have consulted some larpers with no idea how actual shit looked.

The armour designs in KCD look pretty on point to me. There was a lot of ornaments in the clips,but that was normal during the time,nobles did liked looking shiny. Maybe the historian was one of those that claimed there was niggers in Bohemia,in 15th century.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Honestly don't remember seeing many Josh Sawyer tweets about KC:D, I wonder if he's caught between teh fact that KC:D is his dream game and the one he's wanted to make all his life while being one of the best RPGs ever made, and the fact it's made by a gay hating antifa member who is the opposite of everything he stands for.

Josh only played it for about 30 minutes so it didn't grab him like Skyrim did.

Developer
First reply from MCA, in 8 mins. Its a celebratory event for him whenever someone leaves Obs :P

Oh my god, I swear it's not, but you get experience points for shaming me into saying something. (Also, I've been going back through Codex posts since the NWN2 companion debacle.)

In short, sometimes leaving a company, any company, is the worst move for a person, and I’ve been equally happy when people decide to stay at Obsidian if it’s a benefit to them personally… it’s just that you can’t be as vocal and supportive about those decisions for a variety of reasons.

But thinking on it, I imagine any endorsements for any colleague have been one-sided (I did support Mike Laidlaw and David Gaider leaving BioWare, and I don’t have a personal issue with BioWare... hell, without them, Black Isle wouldn't have lasted as long as it did, but I did think it was a good move for those two to leave BioWare).

With Katrina, admittedly, I did know about it for a while and when the announcement was coming, so I was expecting it to show up on the feed – and I know where she’s bound next, so in short: I think it’s a smart move for her. So grats to her, and grats to her for taking the plunge! Life's too short to do otherwise.

Flou

Arbiter

Oh my god, I swear it's not, but you get experience points for shaming me into saying something. (Also, I've been going back through Codex posts since the NWN2 companion debacle.)

In short, sometimes leaving a company, any company, is the worst move for a person, and I’ve been equally happy when people decide to stay at Obsidian if it’s a benefit to them personally… it’s just that you can’t be as vocal and supportive about those decisions for a variety of reasons.

But thinking on it, I imagine any endorsements for any colleague have been one-sided (I did support Mike Laidlaw and David Gaider leaving BioWare, and I don’t have a personal issue with BioWare... hell, without them, Black Isle wouldn't have lasted as long as it did, but I did think it was a good move for those two to leave BioWare).

With Katrina, admittedly, I did know about it for a while and when the announcement was coming, so I was expecting it to show up on the feed – and I know where she’s bound next, so in short: I think it’s a smart move for her. So grats to her, and grats to her for taking the plunge! Life's too short to do otherwise.

Blizzard confirmed. You heard it here first! :)

Quillon

Arcane
but you get experience points for shaming me into saying something.

Thanks, nuff for a level up? Anyway, if this half-joke comment has shamed you into saying something, don't look at your own "appreciation" thread :D In which the allegations about you that you probably wouldn't or can't talk about(cos of NDA or whatever) anyway.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
but you get experience points for shaming me into saying something.

Thanks, nuff for a level up? Anyway, if this half-joke comment has shamed you into saying something, don't look at your own "appreciation" thread :D In which the allegations about you that you probably wouldn't or can't talk about(cos of NDA or whatever) anyway.

Please, for the love of god, don't look!

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
With Katrina, admittedly, I did know about it for a while and when the announcement was coming, so I was expecting it to show up on the feed – and I know where she’s bound next.

So, what we know so far:

1) Katrina is pregnant
2) MCA is the father
3) Katrina and MCA will move to London

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom