Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Maybe Feargus is just a lousy negotiator?
Maybe he has a habit of overpromising and his team either underdelivers, or if they deliver it's rushed and looks it?
Maybe his team has a habit of just not meeting deadlines?
People hated Bobby Kotick over his not wanting to do business with that company Double Fine, but he said from a business perspective it didn't make sense due to XYZ factors. I remember he said in one interview they weren't a good investment because they routinely missed deadlines. Could be the same reputation Feargus has brought with him.

Prime Junta

Come on people. He's running a company with 170 employees and managing to keep it afloat, without having a reliable, continuous source of income. He's managed to do so for 13 years, starting in a post-crisis economy, through one huge global downturn, and through several major shifts in the market he's in. All that while looking like a plump, hopeful hamster. That is not a small feat. IMO it would be more interesting to try to figure out what he did right than what he did wrong.

Fry

Arcane
I'd actually love to know how the Russkie tank thing came about. If he initiated that pitch and managed to convince them that a studio known for nothing but RPGs could make their tank MMO, I'm impressed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My all-time favorite Feargus move is how he managed to drag out South Park's development for years and years through two different publishers. Kept a team occupied for like half a decade!

Deleted member 7219

My all-time favorite Feargus move is how he managed to drag out South Park's development for years and years through two different publishers. Kept a team occupied for like half a decade!

You think the collapse of THQ was down to Feargus?

:hmmm:

Flou

Arbiter
My all-time unfavorite Feargus move is how he turned down GoT rpg before GoT was kool.

It kinda depends though... how freely can they work on the IP. GRRM is highly protective of his material, so is it just the book/tv series done in crpg mode or something completely different? While it may sound like a deal everyone would take in heartbeat (even before the tv series), since we don't know the exact details it's hard to judge him by it. What else did they have on the table at the moment etc.

Fairfax

Arcane
My all-time unfavorite Feargus move is how he turned down GoT rpg before GoT was kool.

It kinda depends though... how freely can they work on the IP. GRRM is highly protective of his material, so is it just the book/tv series done in crpg mode or something completely different? While it may sound like a deal everyone would take in heartbeat (even before the tv series), since we don't know the exact details it's hard to judge him by it. What else did they have on the table at the moment etc.
GRRM has no creative control over licensed products, including the show, though in some cases he was asked for some input, like the RPG and the graphic novel. Feargus said he didn't take the deal because he thought the setting didn't allow "standard role-playing fantasy things".

Flou

Arbiter
GRRM has no creative control over licensed products, including the show, though in some cases he was asked for some input, like the RPG and the graphic novel. Feargus said he didn't take the deal because he thought the setting didn't allow "standard role-playing fantasy things".

I thought GRRM was really strict when it comes to licensing. Obviously with the tv show he lost all that, since HBO can license the shit out of the tv show into other merchandise as well. Isn't the Telltale Game of Thrones license based on the tv deal?
I wouldn't just blame Feargus though. Someone at the office should have promoted the shit out of that IP. Like Feargus said in the IGN interview sometimes projects need a champion, that IP needed a champion and apparently had none at Obsidian. But then again what projects did they have at hand back then?

I personally would have taken the deal based on book IP alone. There's just so much you can do, if you aren't forced to use the same time as the tv show and books. Though with GRRM's masterful writing, anything else would have probably felt like cheap fanfiction like the tv show.

2house2fly

Magister
Aw man, he'd have been working on the New Vegas DLCs if he wasn't on South Park. He'd have probably done a better job of the Honest Hearts companions if he'd been on that.

Good to hear he was at least involved with Pillars 2 pre-production, I hope they get him back for some writing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another Feargus story about the development of Baldur's Gate:

Feargus
DEVELOPER

William D. - I do understand your frustration, and it is a constant balance for us. Back in the day, we got a lot of feedback and frustration from people on BG1 because they could only get their characters to Level 5 to 7 (depended on the class) - that was a lot of gameplay hours without much leveling. The reason for that was to make it so BG2 would not have the player needing to start off by killing gods. I'm exaggerating a bit here, but it was an issue that had to be dealt with, and there were A LOT of conversations about it. [BTW when I say we here, I was involved in a lot of the conversations, but I don't mean to say I developed BG1 or BG2, that was BioWare - I was just at Black Isle at the time and we worked closely with them during the days of BG - they were responsible for 99.99% of the games]. So, flash forward a lot of years (man I'm old) and we had to decide between limiting leveling on PoE 1 for PoE2, or doing the re-set. We decided the later.

exe

Augur
This maybe the wrong thread, but I want to give NWN2 OC + MotB a try, is there a mandatory fanpatch or anything like that?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Latest confirmation of the Tim Cain game just to get y'all hyped:

Feargus
DEVELOPER

Tim isn't work on Deadfire this time around. While that may sound disappointing, Tim is working on something new. It's nothing we can talk about yet, or for a while, but when we can - I think everyone is going to be super excited over what it is.

Rev

Arcane
They can't talk about it for a while, so no news until at least the next year, I guess?

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Latest confirmation of the Tim Cain game just to get y'all hyped:

Feargus
DEVELOPER

Tim isn't work on Deadfire this time around. While that may sound disappointing, Tim is working on something new. It's nothing we can talk about yet, or for a while, but when we can - I think everyone is going to be super excited over what it is.

Tim Cain's game? As in Tim Cain Lead Designer? Oh boy, here we go.

I had no idea he was designing anything as of now. Good news.

Also, please, forgive my Bethesda, first post.

Last edited:

Flou

Arbiter
They can't talk about it for a while, so no news until at least the next year, I guess?

Something like that yes. Boyarsky joined Obsidian ~13th of April last year and they were working on it back then already. Though probably with not that many people. From looks of it some of Tyranny team transferred to that project and maybe some of the staff from Armored Warfare. So I would say they are still in pre-production / late pre-production

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mmm, that warm fuzzy feeling of Codex's disappointment I've been hearing about...

:happytrollboy:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom