Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Hobo Elf

Arcane
2604c8c350d537bb08322a3ea7a94a0fcf8606b56e39ba1f62301224aa417e84.jpg

there's hyperbole, then there's full-retard.
Who am I to deny a man his incredibly bad shooter gameplay, wildly fluctuating quality of level design and badly balanced and thought out skill selection?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Deus Ex's levels were all well-made.

I don't know why anyone would think a slamdunk Obsidian sequel would have worse gameplay though. They improved Fallout 3.

Flou

Arbiter
So that's the reason Sawyer was "researching stealth" back then. I think I remember it being speculated that it "might" be an Obsidian Deus Ex game.

Sawyer and/or MCA even visited Eidos Montreal back then, so the rumours/speculations did end up being true. Sad that it didn't happen though. I would have loved to play a Deus Ex game by Obsidian and I bet MCA would have loved writing one as well.

Flou

Arbiter
Deus Ex's levels were all well-made.

I don't know why anyone would think a slamdunk Obsidian sequel would have worse gameplay though. They improved Fallout 3.

The levels were well made, the actual gameplay was horrible at times. By gameplay I mean the bad shooter with very painfully dropping frame rates when ever something actually tried shooting back at you.

Does Deus Ex use Unreal Engine? Either way I'm sure they could have built upon it and with their narrative skills they could have made a great sequel to the game. Damn Thi4f for selling so badly, yet another Obsidian game that I would have loved to play that ended up getting axed.

Klarion

Arcane
This next-gen console Unreal 4 game... It's going to be for PC too... right?

I bet it'll be VTMB sequel... Paradox just acquired it's IP and VTMB got big fanbase. Plus you got guys who created it working for your business partner, Obsidian... it's a no-brainer.

Cain and Boyarsky both being leads kind of gives it out too...
"We're not making a Vampire game" - Brian Heins
Source?

Quillon

Arcane
This next-gen console Unreal 4 game... It's going to be for PC too... right?

I bet it'll be VTMB sequel... Paradox just acquired it's IP and VTMB got big fanbase. Plus you got guys who created it working for your business partner, Obsidian... it's a no-brainer.

Cain and Boyarsky both being leads kind of gives it out too...
"We're not making a Vampire game" - Brian Heins
Source?

https://youtu.be/73cYTlul9vM?t=1365

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

We’ve had a spectacular track record with this source in the past. As you may recall we were the first to accurately leak Red Dead Redemption 2 details. Other Websites like Forbes even tried to make fun of us for it. They weren’t laughing very long.

And the Forbes guy bit the bait: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...-that-unbelievable-fallout-new-vegas-2-rumor/

To sum up what’s being referenced there, last year, I wrote a piece called “This 'Red Dead Redemption 2' Rumor Is The Worst Rumor To End All Rumors.” It was a teardown of what I thought was a badly sourced rumor about RDR2, so much so that I felt the need to address it in a standalone piece.

Now, to find out that FragHero is gloating about being “right” about RDR2, when their “source” got nearly every single detail of the reveal wrong rubbed me the wrong way, and now I see they’re doing it again with Fallout.

I would certainly read an article about why New Vegas 2 would be a great idea. I am less interested in an article full of bad information where the author also celebrates past bad information they threw out into the internet like fanboy chum.

Here are the facts: Obsidian is working on Pillars of Eternity 2, which uses the art cited in that article. It is extremely unlikely they could do this while also working on a new Fallout game. That said, my opinion is that yes, it would be cool for Bethesda to get someone to do another New Vegas-type sequel for Fallout 4, whether that’s NV2 or moving to a new city. Literally nothing points to that actually happening at this time, however.

I tried to ask FragHero about their past and present claims, they responded with a series of troll-ish joke answers that they required I post “in full” which had nothing to do with the questions and did not answer them, so I’m not doing that. Previously, they also offered to publish my “rant” post on their own site, which I also declined. The one actual answer I got was when I asked if they could tell me anything about their source, or if it was even real, to which they said, “We're just a team of nerds who spend our lives scouring the internet for the most entertaining gaming content.”

Quillon

Arcane
IGN's host sucked, trying too much for shock value. GI's host & interview was much better about 14 months ago.

Fairfax

Arcane
Talks about the bonus payment fiasco. "Why didn't Zenimax just pay you anyway? Isn't it short-sighted to just burn a talented outfit like Obsidian?" this guy is fishing for some juicy headlines.
Feargus clarifies that they never asked for the bonus, Zenimax just put it in there. Agrees that Metacritic bonuses are silly and mentions other examples. "Personally, it does feel a little petty". And you want to work with Bethesda again saying that stuff? :lol:

Doesn't blame SEGA for cancelling Aliens, but says they were short-sighted near the end.

Stormlands was "very focused on storms" and the world was "almost post-apocalyptic". Doesn't blame Microsoft, but says they handled it poorly in some ways. The executive producer from Microsoft was changed, and the new guy wasn't in tune with what the previous one had in mind. Can't say why Stormlands was cancelled, but ultimately it came down to not having a champion at MS.

Not getting the South Park sequel was frustrating. Felt a bit slighted that they didn't even get offered, but says they couldn't have done it anyway because they had too many projects at the time.

Admits some of their games got cancelled because they agreed to a budget that ended up not being enough.

---

Overall not a very good interview, but I guess it was informative to the IGN audience. The "I don't blame them, but it's their fault" answers were classic Feargus. I don't know if he simply doesn't care or nobody ever told him that stuff doesn't help them at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wouldn't have it any other way. The "sensible" option is to not talk about stuff like this at all.

Fry

Arcane
The dude's running a company and paying salaries. Airing dirty laundry doesn't do him any good.

Flou

Arbiter
The dude's running a company and paying salaries. Airing dirty laundry doesn't do him any good.

I thought he cleared a lot of things that have been said previously, instead of airing dirty laundry. The whole metacritic thing... originally all blame was put on Bethesda, now Feargus clears the issue saying that they never asked for a bonus. Wasn't it MCA who started that shitstorm in the 1st place?

Feargus comes out as honest, naturally he has his own point of view, but at the same time he understands why the publishers have cancelled some of their projects without actually putting the blame fully on them. The IGN dude tried his best to get Feargus to say something damning, but Feargus didn't give him anything except that he felt slighted about not being offered the South Park game. Shocker, someone had his feelings a bit hurt, how will they ever get more work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom