Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian working on a Pathfinder game - could be an Eternity CRPG + card game

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pathfinder; Pillars of Eternity

The hot buzz.. word... the latest rumors on the web is that Obsidian Entertainment is working on a Pathfinder game.

My source is Codex member tuluse, whose source is the Obsidian forums, whose source is enworld.org, whose source is some podcast, whose source is a Pathfinder developer who posted the accompanying picture on Facebook and shortly after removed it.

This would be the accompanying picture:

11493.jpg

Looks legit to me. I guess we'll hear more of this soon.

Update: Codex member Athelas remembered something Feargus told RPS some time ago:

Nothing stops us from being able to do those two different things. It’s going to make us look at Eternity as a brand. What else can we do with it? I want to hook up with the Pathfinder guys and see about doing a Pathfinder Eternity world book thing. It sounds a little weird, but… A card game. A board game. I’ve already been chatting with Cryptozoic Entertainment. We have nothing going on specifically, but they have a lot of experience in board games and card games. That’s what’s going to be transformative.​

Update 2: Apparently this might be two related games at once, a CRPG and a card game, according to the hint dropped by Lisa Stevens, Paizo CEO:

11494.png

In the same thread, she also posted:

All will be revealed this weekend. Well, maybe not all.

Press release tomorrow. More details throughout the weekend. We are talking about more than one type of game. I think you guys will be happy.

Btw, they are NOT taking over Pathfinder Online. Let's squash that right now.

-Lisa​

According to Lisa, it's also not a tabletop version of Pillars of Eternity.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Wannabe DnD rip off. Don't know much about the actual setting. the game itself could turn out to be fun and good if it is more NWN2ish than APish.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wannabe DnD rip off. Don't know much about the actual setting. the game itself could turn out to be fun and good if it is more NWN2ish than APish.
It's not really wannabe, it's an outright a d&d ripoff.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Fixed that for you."

That works too. I was just keeping comaprisons to the same company's game so there was no 'bias'.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Maybe it's one of those ipad electronic game supplements. The kind of shit Harebrained fucked around with after Shadowrun. A lot of Kickstarters and stuff for that sort of junk nowadays.

But hopefully it's a proper crpg.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How's the setting? I have heard of pathfinder and why it was created. But that's about as much as I know.

deuxhero

Arcane
It's OK. The "main" area (Inner Sea Region) is way better than the Sword Coast's generic crap. Either you have a bunch of nations who hate eachother in an uneasy peace or are in northern africaish colony with ruins and natives that run the gambit from bloodthristy to exploitable peaceful, which I'll take over "its peaceful until some villain comes along and threatens it (and if it gets too big don't worry Elminster will take care of it)".

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Wannabe DnD video game by wannabe Bioware. What's the point? There's already a wannabe Baldur's Gate on the table.

Rake

Arcane
Since it was mentioned, i would prefer a Warhammer RPG from Obsidian, but pathfinder is also alright.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"The "main" area (Inner Sea Region) is way better than the Sword Coast's generic crap."

Don't believe you.

"Either you have a bunch of nations who hate eachother in an uneasy peace or are in northern africaish colony with ruins and natives that run the gambit from bloodthristy to exploitable peaceful, which I'll take over "its peaceful until some villain comes along and threatens it (and if it gets too big don't worry Elminster will take care of it)"."

And, this confirms why.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm no FR expert, but the only actual threat of war I've seen on the Sword Coast FROM the sword coast was Luskan, who I've always seen potrayed as a less than serious threat to the lords alliance, only able to threaten them if there is another bigger issue at their door (especially as they are a single city). If it's not really that generic, blame the creators of every single thing I've seen set on the sword coast for being an untalented hack.

As for Paizo, a lot of the higher ups at Paizo really have no idea how the system works. I'm glad the guy who replaced Sean " cool prestige classes, like [...] Dwarven Defender" Reynolds seems to have some idea of what he's doing (not perfect though).

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If this is going to take place of my Obsidian SCI-FI game............................ I might be OK with this (as long as it's a cRPG, not a card game).

Avellion

Erudite
Would be great if Obsidian could focus on just Pillars of Eternity instead of spreading their resources thin on multiple projects.

They are already localizing armored warfare (why?) and developing PoE. Dont try to chew more than you can bite.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom