Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obscure space sims and Wing Commander clones

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Everybody's heard of Wing Commander, Freespace and the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games, but during the 90s heyday of the space sim, many clones were produced. Let's reminisce about them.

Retribution (1994) by Astros Productions: http://www.mobygames.com/game/retribution

Early into the 24th century man was on the verge of extinction. Before stellar colonization, war loomed close on Earth as its people cried out in their millions for food. Then, we were visited.

The Krellans came to our aid like avatars from the far reaches of space to teach us their way to live with ourselves in union.

With them, the Krellans brought a new wave of technology, unprecedented medicine, and best of all, the wisdom of peace. Farming and agricultural needs were met and bettered with their help in our colonisation plans. No more would man starve or fight for an acre of corn.

Our new found friends slowly led us away from Earth and taught us the ways to perfect terra-forming techniques to solve our ever constant population and resource needs. Since the Krellans first made contact with man many new worlds have echoed to the sound of man's foot fall and we now stand at the threshold of the entire galaxy. In this, man's new hour we live as man was intended...peacefully.

The year is 2425. This is the golden age of man, a time of hope. But given time, any foundation can crumble...

A first person SciFi-Simulation … as an young rookie pilot you have to prove yourself in 11 campaigns, each with 4 highly strategic missions. You have hatred in your heart and become driven by one compulsion … RETRIBUTION !

I received this game as a birthday present from some friends when I was a kid. Retribution's schtick was that instead of deep space combat, all missions took place planetside. Unfortunately, although a few of the game's missions were kind of interesting (including a few where you get to control a tank instead of a fighter), generally speaking flying around mountains and taking out surface-to-air missile pods is a lot less interesting than dogfighting, so things got repetitive quickly.

Story-wise, instead of Wing Commander's emotionally engaging character-driven plot, all you had was the same three characters at HQ to talk to between missions - the commander, the mission control lady, and your dropship pilot/mechanic. The most interesting part of it was the game's textual mission log, that had a lot of nerdy sci-fi stuff in it. For example, you can learn that one of your missions takes place on a planet that's actual a huge sentient biomass, who joins you after the mission. But none of that stuff has any impact on actual gameplay, which is just a linear series of missions as you fly towards Earth.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Perhaps some people heard about Forsaken, a solid Descent clone with box art that can make anyone go full "wtf".

The game:

The wallpaper:
16929_forsaken-4.jpg

Box art:
965169231-00.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/forsaken

Comic
Forsaken was featured as a comic book series published by Acclaim Comics shortly after its release. First in a Turok/Forsakenspecial edition (written by Fabian Nicieza and Evan Skolnick, and inked by Mat Broome and Sean Parsons) in which Turok gets lost in the alternate future of Forsaken. And then in a 4-issue limited series (written by Shon Bury and with art by Joe St. Pierre) which delineates the story of the main character presented in the Turok special (yup, the Forsaken babe), who turns out to be an artificial lifeform/living weapon, who gets possessed by what appears to be a human spirit.

Extras
The original Forsaken release includes a 12-month calendar featuring shots of the Forsaken cover-girl.

lol

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
OK, so one reason I made this thread is that I've been trying to remember the name of another one of these games.

It was a Wing Commander 3-style space sim with cheesy FMV cutscenes, where (IIRC) you play as the member of a resistance group on an alien-controlled earth. The aliens control Earth through some kind of human megacorporation, with a "World President" who is their puppet ruler. There were probably some missions in the game where you fight the Quisling humans too, though I never got that far. I remember that it had some kind of database where you could see the specs of various enemy ships.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Was it for DOS or Windows? Approximate year of release or when you played it? Did it feature open space?

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Deep Space by Psygnosis:

Spooky atmosphere but crap game. Possibly my first Amiga game, although I could be wrong. Came in a nice box with a badge.

Warhead:

Brilliant game. The plot was totally ripped off in some Star Trek: TNG episode some years later, which is why I shall always hate TNG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Was it for DOS or Windows? Approximate year of release or when you played it? Did it feature open space?

Can't really narrow it down to beyond "mid-90s". Definitely after Wing Commander 3's release I would say, but I don't think I was deep into high school yet, so 1994-1998?

One another thing - I'm pretty sure the aliens were Star Trek-style "Rubber Forehead Aliens", not anything weird.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Perhaps Inca? It wasn't really obscure but has slided into anonimity through time. At release it was one of those games that fully embraced the fmv craze. Adventure with space shooting. Also made by Cocktel Vision. There's also a sequel called, tadaa, Inca II.

Then we've got Epic. Believe it was made or published by OCEAN and DID. Big names in gaming back then who made a lot of sims. This one was about humanity trying to escape from a supernova. Had great reviews at the time and a sequel called Inferno. Which was universally panned, btw.

Keeping the whole obscure angle going, ever played Xenocracy? It was a wierd mix between a space fighter and a political strategy game where you play various factions against each other to maintain a balance as a sort of peace keeper. Remember it having a pretty nihilist take on stuff with the term 'meat puppet' being used often. Had all sorts of missions (including ones above surfaces) and looked stellar at the time. No idea how it aged.

Last edited:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
From the 90's:
Star Crusader:

Colony Wars:

Tachyon: The Fringe

Some modern, somewhat obscure Wing Commander-like games:

Eterium, a Wing Commander clone/homage infused with fugly animu art. The gameplay is ok, very similar to WC but with more inertia. Mission design is unfortunately also Wing commander like: go from A to B and kill everything, the game would be better if they took more from Tie fighter/X-Wing and Freespace in this aspect.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/280200/?

Battle Of Sol, remake of an arcade space game Sol Exodus, didn't play it yet. The original was ok, too "arcadey" though (more than WC, for example: no wingman commands, stupid hacking minigame for blowing up capships)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/282620/

These aren't space SIMS
You're such a smart little sperg, aren't you. The name stuck and it's used for games like Freespace etc. to differenciate from straight up arcade space shooters. I sure everyone knows they aren't real space SIMS. Maybe "space combat game" would be a better term.

Last edited:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
It's not the same as a shooter when you collect power ups, fight "bosses", alone against hordes of enemies, have restricted movement etc.

Guinea pigs aren't actual pigs, in a similar way people call Freespace-like games space sims and there's nothing you can do about it.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet

Can't really narrow it down to beyond "mid-90s". Definitely after Wing Commander 3's release I would say, but I don't think I was deep into high school yet, so 1994-1998?

One another thing - I'm pretty sure the aliens were Star Trek-style "Rubber Forehead Aliens", not anything weird.
The Raven Project?

gQ1bMut.png
5UBYpjS.png
HxoQbqw.png

It was a Rebel Assault style game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

The Raven Project?

gQ1bMut.png
5UBYpjS.png
HxoQbqw.png

It was a Rebel Assault style game.

Yes, I believe that's it! Well done.

potatojohn

Arcane
It's not the same as a shooter when you collect power ups, fight "bosses", alone against hordes of enemies, have restricted movement etc.
Stargunner = space-themed shoot'em up

Freespace = arcade space game

Orbiter = space sim

Pretty simple stuff.

And don't tell me I'm pedantic. That's just rudely dismissing codex culture that has spent 50000000 posts discussing what is an rpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom