Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

almondblight

Arcane
So, considering some games in the thread are "no more than 7/10" or have other flaws, but still deserve more recognition than they get, should I split the list into "Undiscovered treasures" and "Good for what they are" sections?

That'd probably be a good idea. If we could work on getting some mini-reviews up, it might be good too.

Another category for noteworthy ones that no one has played might be useful too (for instance, something like Odyssey, which apparently inspired some elements of Geneforge). Then they could be moved to one of the other categories whenever a member gets around to checking them out and writing something up.

V_K

Arcane
So, I added tags to the games already on the list. I welcome additions and corrections, especially on the games I haven't played personally (marked with [???] tag), but let's keep the tag count per game at 5-6 tops.

V_K

Arcane
Latest additions: Last Dream, FreedroidRPG, both Age of Fear games, both Excelsior games, LISA (hope that last one doesn't cause a shitstorm). As always, corrections for descriptions and tags are very appreciated.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There's Heroes of Steel, from the Templar Battleforce guys. (Bros?)

I just started playing it seems pretty cool.
It used to be a pretty bare-bones mobile port, but the devs added a fair amount of polish since release.
Cons: It has some slight input delay issues, but you can get over 'em by using Cheatengine's speedhack. (Glad Underrail made me discover it :))

4r7tMsB.jpg

Also, the tile graphics are regurgitated ass. Still better than Avernum tho

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Labyrinth of Touhou 1 & 2. Some of the best RPG combat, encounter & party building design ever, blobber or not.

Not that obscure anymore though, since I and some other people have been plugging it all over the place during the past couple of years.

V_K

Arcane
Labyrinth of Touhou 1 & 2. Some of the best RPG combat, encounter & party building design ever, blobber or not.

Not that obscure anymore though, since I and some other people have been plugging it all over the place during the past couple of years.
Yeah, I don't think there's a single codexer left who hasn't heard of them. :D

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Added Mr. Robot and Datajack to the OP, will wait for a couple more opinions on Lisa - there doesn't seem to be a consensus on that one.
Don't know about obscurity but the NPC's are straight taken from the 'Dex it seems. It is a kind of western jrpg when it comes to combat, but writing is just depressingly morbid, the whole world feels like a pit of despair.

EDIT: Ah it's already included. Nevermind.

Last edited:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gates of Skeldal (1998) [free]
[Dungeon Crawl] [Puzzle Heavy] [Premade Party] [TB]

Stylish turn-based blobber set in a large world with many unique locations to explore. Originally availible only in Czech, a fan English translation exists now.

woaah, this looks amazing! But is the fan translation a real translation? Because the site there says...

"The first version has been translated using Google Translator. I know, that result of machine translation can be horible. Text resources are included into package, so if you want, you can correct it. Don't forget to send corrected files to me: ondra-novak@email.cz"

I want to play this so badly but google translator?! :negative:

V_K

Arcane
"The first version has been translated using Google Translator. I know, that result of machine translation can be horible. Text resources are included into package, so if you want, you can correct it. Don't forget to send corrected files to me: ondra-novak@email.cz"
IIRC the current version is not the first and was edited into something more or less serviceable. At least I don't remember any problems with understanding the in-game text.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
There's Heroes of Steel, from the Templar Battleforce guys. (Bros?)

I just started playing it seems pretty cool.
It used to be a pretty bare-bones mobile port, but the devs added a fair amount of polish since release.
Cons: It has some slight input delay issues, but you can get over 'em by using Cheatengine's speedhack. (Glad Underrail made me discover it :))

4r7tMsB.jpg

Also, the tile graphics are regurgitated ass. Still better than Avernum tho
They really should consider selling their games directly on their site or on GoG or even on itchi.io.

Some games from the list can be purchased directly on the developer's site :
Voidspire Tactics
Mr. Robot (a demo version is available)
Heroes of a Broken Land (a demo version is available)
Last Dream (a demo version is available)
Age Of Fear & Age Of Fear 2 (a demo version of the second episode is available)

Dex is available without DRM on the Humble store : Dex
The Dwarf Run is available without DRM on indieGameStand : The Dwarf Run

V_K

Arcane
Added Dustbowl - a recent update introduced a light character and leveling system, so now it's a full-blown RPG/Adventure hybrid that certainly deserves much better sales. Really worth supporting, especially given that the guys behind it are now working on a similarly structured game set in the times of Black Death and with a much more robust RPG system to boot.

quasimodo

Augur
So, I added tags to the games already on the list. I welcome additions and corrections, especially on the games I haven't played personally (marked with [???] tag), but let's keep the tag count per game at 5-6 tops.

Thanks for the tags. This makes it much easier to see which of these games is worth looking into.

V_K

Arcane
Aethra Chronicles (1994) [free]
[TB] [Full Party Creation]

Actually it's a mix of created characters and hirelings.
Yeah, I have struggled with how to put it better while keeping it concise (i.e. no more than 3 words). In the end, I decided that the important information here is that 1) the game is party based and 2) you create several characters, and ran with the standard full party tag. If you have better ideas, I'm all ears.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I've been playing Heroes of Steel recently and can recommend it based on the first act. Amazing that this is basically a two-man team and an andoid/tablet game to boot. I'm playing it on PC with the excellent AMIDUOS android emulator. However, it contains what basically amounts to the single longest go-kill-rats-in-the-cellar-low-level-scum! sequence that has ever been done in an RPG - or will be done. The entire first act, in fact (about 6-8 hours). But don't let this deter you. Seems like a good game. Will continue my play-through today

V_K

Arcane
However, it contains what basically amounts to the single longest go-kill-rats-in-the-cellar-low-level-scum! sequence that has ever been done in an RPG - or will be done.
Longer than that 4-level dungeon in Drakensang?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom