Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

V_K

Arcane
I have one sort-of-roguelike on the list, Occult Chronicles, since it's not included in the roguelike thread.

ntonystinson

Scholar
I found this today Eador.Imperium. From their Steam page:
Eador. Imperium is a standalone expansion forEador series, known for its unique blend of grand strategy, turn-based tactics and RPG elements. Launching now in Early Access, Eador. Imperium features new heroes, new units and new gameplay mechanics for the series with more to come soon.

At the moment players can try out 5 new heroes and 30 new units. For this purpose we prepared 5 special shard scenarios starring each of the new heroes, with proper grounds to test new units as well. New heroes are not yet available in ‘Shard battles’, but this is coming very soon.

Full version of Eador. Imperium is going to feature a brand new single player campaign, more new units and a new gameplay system based on Masters and rituals. All original Eador content (plus 'Allied Forces' DLC) included.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I found this today Eador.Imperium. From their Steam page:
Eador. Imperium is a standalone expansion forEador series, known for its unique blend of grand strategy, turn-based tactics and RPG elements. Launching now in Early Access, Eador. Imperium features new heroes, new units and new gameplay mechanics for the series with more to come soon.

At the moment players can try out 5 new heroes and 30 new units. For this purpose we prepared 5 special shard scenarios starring each of the new heroes, with proper grounds to test new units as well. New heroes are not yet available in ‘Shard battles’, but this is coming very soon.

Full version of Eador. Imperium is going to feature a brand new single player campaign, more new units and a new gameplay system based on Masters and rituals. All original Eador content (plus 'Allied Forces' DLC) included.

Looks like a HoMM clone. Kind of had my fill of those...

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I only played the older 2D Eador, but it was really quite nice. And I mostly heard good things about the 3D remake.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I bought some indie strategy-tactics-RPG-thingie that was on sale on Steam for 5 eurobucks, and it's actually pretty fun: "Age of Fear 2: The Chaos Lord".
The first game is now on my wishlist too because it's a moderately challenging turn based tactics game with levelups and shit.

It has two campaigns with some minor choices (like, do you take up a cursed sword and risk your knight becoming cursed, or leave it?) and challenging battles. Your units gain experience and can be upgraded. Losing a unit means it's gone and you have to recruit a new one. Keeping them alive is rewarded.
There are, apparently, some fights where you're supposed to lose. When your heroes die the game ends; in these fights, the fight ends and you progress to the next story piece followed by a fight. Things like "you got captured by an overwhelming enemy force, now you gotta escape!"... and you lose all your precious levelled up units, which is nasty. You do keep all the upgrades and items on your heroes though so eh, it's fine.

Fun game. Graphics are shit, sounds are shit, there is no music, writing is mediocre. But the combat is good. Was well worth the 5 eurobucks I paid for it.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Fun game. Graphics are shit, sounds are shit, there is no music, writing is mediocre. But the combat is good. Was well worth the 5 eurobucks I paid for it.

pbWA5aF.jpg

ntonystinson

Scholar
Defragmented is a lightning-fast cyberpunk action RPG. Unravel a power struggle for the future of evolution through strategic combat, unique character classes and a pulsing synth soundtrack.Welcome to Entropolis – New World, Bad Blood.

• New World, Bad Blood: Explore the neon city of Entropolis and uncover the conspiracies that lurk within its walls. Museum curators, rogue police agents and benevolent scientists struggle to enforce their world views... but who can you trust?
  • RPG character progression: Play as three different classes as you shoot, loot, and repeat at lightning speed. Multiple skill trees let players craft personal characters for a challenging end game.
  • Super fast-paced combat: Health points are precious in Defragmented! Players will need to plan their attacks ahead of time. Make use of unique class skills and item loadouts or meet certain death.
  • Synthwave soundtrack: Pulse-pounding beats from a diverse group of electronic musicians. Includes artists from works like KUNG FURY, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Hotline Miami 2 and original Defragmented music.
  • Procedural loot and combat: Collect procedurally-generated futuristic guns and gadgets. Enemies change their weapons every time you replay a level, forcing players to switch up strategies.
  • Destructible environments: Entropolis is not stationary. Tactical cover can be shot through, knocked over and blown apart - keeping players and enemies on the move.

Defragmented is a lightning-fast cyberpunk action RPG. Unravel a power struggle for the future of evolution through strategic combat, unique character classes and a pulsing synth soundtrack.Welcome to Entropolis – New World, Bad Blood.

• New World, Bad Blood: Explore the neon city of Entropolis and uncover the conspiracies that lurk within its walls. Museum curators, rogue police agents and benevolent scientists struggle to enforce their world views... but who can you trust?
  • RPG character progression: Play as three different classes as you shoot, loot, and repeat at lightning speed. Multiple skill trees let players craft personal characters for a challenging end game.
  • Super fast-paced combat: Health points are precious in Defragmented! Players will need to plan their attacks ahead of time. Make use of unique class skills and item loadouts or meet certain death.
  • Synthwave soundtrack: Pulse-pounding beats from a diverse group of electronic musicians. Includes artists from works like KUNG FURY, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Hotline Miami 2 and original Defragmented music.
  • Procedural loot and combat: Collect procedurally-generated futuristic guns and gadgets. Enemies change their weapons every time you replay a level, forcing players to switch up strategies.
  • Destructible environments: Entropolis is not stationary. Tactical cover can be shot through, knocked over and blown apart - keeping players and enemies on the move.

Comes across as more of an 80s video game ... I can't see much RPG in there

So I bought some indie strategy-tactics-RPG-thingie that was on sale on Steam for 5 eurobucks, and it's actually pretty fun: "Age of Fear 2: The Chaos Lord".
The first game is now on my wishlist too because it's a moderately challenging turn based tactics game with levelups and shit.

It has two campaigns with some minor choices (like, do you take up a cursed sword and risk your knight becoming cursed, or leave it?) and challenging battles. Your units gain experience and can be upgraded. Losing a unit means it's gone and you have to recruit a new one. Keeping them alive is rewarded.
There are, apparently, some fights where you're supposed to lose. When your heroes die the game ends; in these fights, the fight ends and you progress to the next story piece followed by a fight. Things like "you got captured by an overwhelming enemy force, now you gotta escape!"... and you lose all your precious levelled up units, which is nasty. You do keep all the upgrades and items on your heroes though so eh, it's fine.

.... Saw this game on Steam, but the giant demon that looked like Satan himself kinda put me off making the purchase

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Was this advertisment paid for?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I completed that game. The gameplay wasn't that good. I was maybe worth it for the comedy central European accents though.

ntonystinson

Scholar
http://www.bevontule.com/about/
Bevontule is an upcoming tactical turn-based RPG that layers innovative mechanics atop classic role-playing elements, presenting a compelling, deep and mature storyline detailing the tumultuous history of a world and its continent. The idea of Bevontule has existed in a very basic, conceptual form for roughly 20 years, its primary emphases being on plot, lore and character development, as well as combat, customization and rewarding progression.

Featuring a deep, challenging and innovative turn-based tactical combat system, much of the tension revolves around the many ways in which characters can master the nuances of their available skills and equipment setups to best dispatch the highly intelligent enemies they will encounter. We do away with grid-based movement and allow the party unbridled range of motion upon the battlefield. Using its dynamic targeting and movement systems, the player can check the outcome of any action from any position. If an action appears, it can be taken and there is no randomness to suddenly snuff out what would be an otherwise strategically-sound decision.

Plot progression is driven by a tightly-written and mythology-deep storyline that has been decades in the making and is codified in many short stories, maps, sketches and even its own wiki. Not only is the main story-line arc of the game solidified, but so too is the extensive history and setting in which the game occurs. Featuring a welcome return to navigation upon a true world map and a questing system urging quality over quantity, you’ll join a maturely-written cast of characters and the stranger among them looking to maybe stave off the looming calamity… or unwittingly hasten its arrival.

At LiminalLLC, we’ve played our fair share of role-playing games and grew up during what we would argue were the golden years of RPGs, churning out such behemoths as Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy Tactics and many, many more. While it could be argued endlessly as to which one truly wore the crown, each one presented some embedded piece of wisdom. We hope Bevontule will go down as a worthy successor to the ideas presented in the many masterpieces that came before us. Having the resolve, knowledge, experience and passion to see the game through to its completion, we are more than equipped to make this desire a reality.
They have a playable demo here
http://gamejolt.com/games/bevontule/173378

ntonystinson

Scholar
KINGDOMS is a procedural medieval RPG in a randomly generated open world. The main feature of KINGDOMS is a smart AI system that completely controls NPC behavior. As the player, you can fully interact with this massive world and become any person you want to be.

MAIN FEATURES

>>DYNAMIC WORLD
During the game, the world changes constantly: settlements appear, new houses, taverns, and shops are built. NPCs decide for themselves what to build next and how their settlement should be developed; and of course this living world reacts to any players' actions.

>>LIVING AI
Each npc has his own life goal and acts depending on this goal. Every NPC is unique - temper, motivation, reputation, skills and many other parameters affect NPC behavior. Even when NPCs have the same goal, this goal can be reached in different ways depending on situation.

>>FREEDOM
You can do anything you want, you can go anywhere you want. Explore caves and ruins, fight wild animals and bandits, trade with other characters, open shops, taverns or manufactories, create settlements or even whole kingdoms and manage them or just help other people. It’s up to you!

>>DYNAMIC COMBAT
As with all other aspects of KINGDOMS, we want to make combat as realistic as possible. The movement of your sword depends on mouse movement. Our goal is to make combat intuitive and give you a challenge. One perfect strike can be the final one.

>>K-EDITOR
Our mods editor, K-Editor, allows you to make any kind of modifications from new items to global mods. World, quests, AI, items, creatures - All can be changed or modified.

I haven't played it and the steam reviews are mixed but it's still in early access and the game has some promising ideas

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Hay guys I too am making a game.

World of Magical Creatures: Saga of Dragons and Spells and Shit - An anvi joint.

FEATURES:

Complete Freedom with a Classless System - You can swing a sword or shoot "Firebolt", the possibilities are endless, as long as they include either swinging a sword or shooting firebolt.

A full game editor - Make your own adventures and share them with friends! So we don't have to.

Destructible Environment - Click a barrel and it becomes a broken barrel!

A sprawling Open World adventure - thousands of miles of land for all your virtual walking needs.

Dynamic ever changing world that changes based on YOUR actions! - When a character gives you a quest to collect 20 wolf pelts, those wolves will be forever peltless and that character will no longer ask you for stuff. You changeded the world.

Visceral Combat - when you a press a button, something super awesome happens. Unlike boring games like Dragon Age when something only awesome happens, this game has super awesome things.

Streamlined Content - No need to waste your precious time on confusing and deep things. Just press X and the game is over!

Many Unique Hairstyles - Your character can have hair or be bald.

Deep Character Customisation Like Elder Scrolls - Your character will level up and you can spend your points on Strength or Magicalness. The choice is yours!

Exploration - There is a path to the north but also one to the west.

Amazing Pixel Art and Animation - it will 'amaze' you how a game can look like this in 2016

High Quality Soundtrack - Game features an mp3 made by my buddy Mike.

Early Access NOW available - Pay now just $29.95 and I will start work on the game right after I learn how to program.

Full Keyboard Support - yes I actually saw this once in a game

Episodic Storytelling - Look out for Chapter 2 in sometime around 2026 with yet another 8 whole minutes of gameplay.

Full Voiceover -
All characters full voiced, by me and my buddy Mike.

Full Detailed Crafting System -
combine bread with cheese to make a sandwich. Or combine bread with chicken to make a sandwich. The possibilities are endless.

Sandbox Gameplay -
Imagine you are in a space ship shooting aliens, or a mighty hero saving a beautiful princess, or playing a real game. The possibilities are endless. The only limit is your imagination!

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
It seems Void Pyramid just reached Steam. I'm glad the game will get some relative visibility, it's a very cool small game ; besides the developper seems to be a cool guy who like good RPGs and I like its own approach when he makes games.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It seems Void Pyramid just reached Steam. I'm glad the game will get some relative visibility, it's a very cool small game ; besides the developper seems to be a cool guy who like good RPGs and I like its own approach when he makes games.
Just gave it a look and it looks like it has more of an oddball setting then the average (J)RPG indies clotting up steam, I'm always happy to see something like this being done. Thanks for the heads up. Downloading it now!

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Early Access, it seems. Already fun enough? ETA?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom