Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
WTF dude charles could make a better game in his farts. vogel is ugh. that's my argument btw i don't have the energy for anything more. instead of arguing about this by any chance do you what the different functions are for legacy ASCI when utilized in hexadecimal context? like i know "0A" can function as a STOP RIGHT THERE! as far as dialog and shit goes, but tonight i just found out for the first time it can also be used in combination with a preceding %d to CLOSE OFF an escape for the function trigger and force it to use all the functions between %d and 0A together.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
MrRichard999
oh my goddd hex strings are AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWEEEEESOMEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a fucking website about weather watching just gave me the best (and working) tutorial ever on how to use a string in the game's code add a few flags, add a width, and change the conversion perhaps to manipulate the order in which the game's text is displayed.

whaaaaaaaa

edit: and i used to think %d was a dice roll r000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 fles!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
sorry bout dat, i promise i'll just make another thread about this. i just feel so HAPPY. i finally understand what the fuck =F means, what ; is for, what % and $ is for... ahhhhh feeels good. it's funny because i actually thought (since i only see these stuff while working on RPG translations) that % was for die rolls and that =F and =G were for experience points and gold.,

!!!!!! hah

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Seeing your link for Gates of Skeldal reminded me of Cardhalia - http://www.say-realm.com/c1/index.html

Was a Czech only blobber game but translated too. Not bad at all, especially for the price.
Was it patched or does it still take 20-30 attacks to even land a hit?

There is no full character generation. You can reroll the three stats (str, wis, dex) for the two main character choices (male or female) or the other three pregenerated members, but that is it. Because of this, I haven't given the game a fair shake since I hate pregenerated characters, especially when I cannot even make at least one of my own so I have some sort of vested interest in one of them.

But, yes, you still miss a good amount, but this goes down significantly when you pump up the melee skill (only three skills too, melee magic, and thievery). But I don't remember missing 30 times in row, maybe at the most 10 or so when you first start.

This is story heavy as well, lot of story. It reminds me a lot of Lands of Lore without the VO in how rpg-lite it is and how everything is presented, and the focus on story.

But when it comes to crpg blobbers, beggars can't really be choosers and you can't argue with the price.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Aleshar: World of Ice must be the most obscure CRPG I've ever played.
There are only two signficant hits when you Google it; Haba's Let's Play here on the Codex and the Abandonia thread.
No mention at all on GOG or RPG Watch, and only a few insignifcant hits (at least in English) on Usenet.
The only thing that saves it from being ulta obscure is the fact that it's listed on Mobygames.

The game is good enough that it shouldn't be so obscure.

V_K

Arcane
Have you played Enchantasy? :lol:
The only thing that saves it from being ulta obscure is the fact that it's listed on Mobygames.
It was available on HotUD back when it was your go-to place for all old games. It's a pity it no longer exists, I've learned about a lot of forgotten gems through that site.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Have you played Enchantasy? :lol:

Haven't even heard about it.
But I've played some obscure ZX Spectrum RPGs that are not even on Mobygames, like Mindstone (at least I think it was an RPG) and Out of the Shadows (a notch less obscure after CRPG Addict played it).

V_K

Arcane
Added Void Pyramid and, after a bit of consideration, Balrum to the OP.
Void Pyramid reminds me of some of the early 1980s games from CRPGAddict's blog - the time when CRPG developers were only figuring out how the genre should look like. It's very light on mechanics, and the only combat tactics there is is to use a weapon (a consumable item here, there is - so far - only one kind of it too) to dowble your damage, but in terms of reactivity and alternative build-dependent solutions it basically blows anything that isn't Quest for Glory out of the water.

daveyd

Savant
Perhaps OT, considering it isn't released yet, but... I came across this game while perusing Steam Greenlight: The Underground Man

From the screens trailers we can see a lengthy Fallout-esque skills list, huge amount of text, and text-parser based dialogue. If nothing else, it appears to be a polar opposite to mainstream popamole RPGs.

Seems there's barely any info online about the game in English aside from the Greenlight page.

daveyd

Savant
Looks interesting, but unfortunately it's Russian, which means it'll be either vaporware or an unplayable buggy mess.

I want to argue with you, but the only bug-free Russian game I can think of is Tetris.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The most obscure game I ever played was Walls of Bratock back in the nineties.
These shareware games were mighty popular back in the day, and some of them were actually quite good (for instance the early id Software games like Commander Keen or Catacomb Abyss).
This one wasn't though. I still had a lot of fun but the gameworld was empty and boring and I got lost in these endless dungeons with nothing in them.
But hey, at least it had a day and night cycle (check the video to see what I mean by that). :lol:

Last edited:

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Did anybody know where to get this game? Played demo but never found full version.

"Omega Syndrome"

1526.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Did anybody know where to get this game? Played demo but never found full version.

"Omega Syndrome"

Davaris' game innit, was abandoned.

Back then you could buy the (beta?) of the game, but it was never actually finished IIRC. There was a butthurt over permadeath (it was removed eventually?) and price (50$ :lol:)
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-omega-syndrome-at-v3-24.16887/

AT some point davaris gave up on it:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/australian-ufo-themed-fallout-clone.78645/
Sorry guys, that game is as dead as a doornail. It never really sold and I hit a dead end with the programming. I was using deep inheritance programming and eventually it became very difficult to add new features to it. I also took a couple of years off programming after that, because I was so burnt out. The problems with the game were not just the programming, as RPG rules never really worked well with it. It was probably better suited as a horror/FPS type game.

too bad because it always seemed a very interesting game.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Great thread thanks. I think Tales of Maj'eyal (or TOME for short) is maybe worth a mention somewhere. It is a roguelike RPG and is very grindy and repetitive, so not for everyone. But it has a lot of classes and most of them are really good, and some of them have a lot of depth in how they work. The itemisation is good too, and it can be really addictive to keep flying through the game with constant progress every time you play. To me it is not entirely different an experience to something like Path of Exile, you still storm around the world blowing stuff up and vacuuming up the loot, but in PoE I used the same 2 spells over and over, in TOME I used 10 over and over and sometimes several others in certain situations. For a free game made by 1 guy, I think that is pretty cool.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Great thread thanks. I think Tales of Maj'eyal (or TOME for short) is maybe worth a mention somewhere. It is a roguelike RPG and is very grindy and repetitive, so not for everyone. But it has a lot of classes and most of them are really good, and some of them have a lot of depth in how they work. The itemisation is good too, and it can be really addictive to keep flying through the game with constant progress every time you play. To me it is not entirely different an experience to something like Path of Exile, you still storm around the world blowing stuff up and vacuuming up the loot, but in PoE I used the same 2 spells over and over, in TOME I used 10 over and over and sometimes several others in certain situations. For a free game made by 1 guy, I think that is pretty cool.

ToME4 is one of the more mainstream roguelikes (perhaps the most popular) and it's not even close to something I'd call as obscure. It's addictive but it's basically junkfood in that you know it's good/serviceable to eat but it forces bad habits on you with regards to how you'd play other, more traditional roguelikes. His previous game ToME 2.3.x is much, much better and significantly less known outside of the *band variant players.

I'll cut it short since we have a seperate roguelike thread that is conveniently stickied. If you want to discuss/mention more roguelikes, do it there.

Modron

Arcane
Sorry guys, that game is as dead as a doornail. It never really sold and I hit a dead end with the programming. I was using deep inheritance programming and eventually it became very difficult to add new features to it. I also took a couple of years off programming after that, because I was so burnt out. The problems with the game were not just the programming, as RPG rules never really worked well with it. It was probably better suited as a horror/FPS type game.

too bad because it always seemed a very interesting game.
I am pretty sure he's said he is working on it sometime in the past 2 years so who knows maybe he'll beat grimoire to release. Although hard to find with his profile obscured.

Edit: Blagh I guess I was remembering the content of a post not the tone :negative: on the plus side was a good crack a Cleve.
I've been working on a remake for the last 8 years and it will be be out next Thursday. Only 11 pico issues remaining. :)

Last edited:

Emmanuel2

Savant
If you want to discuss/mention more roguelikes, do it there.

The OP includes some roguelikes, so, no. Also obscure doesn't mean, "Does some super nerd on supernerd codex know it."

But the OP doesn't include roguelikes and instead it directed to the stickied thread I linked. You don't need to be a super nerd (you'd know legerdemain, ultima ratio regum, instead etc.) to know about the most generic of the roguelikes heck even my people I know who aren't into roguelikes/RPGs know about ToME4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom