Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion turns 10 years old

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Skyrim and Oblivion are on sale currently on steam till 8th august, gotta get that Skyrim Legendary for free special edition.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Oblivion is teh best Elder Scrolls, it's not dumbed down as Skyrim but it features welcome improvements which Morrowind lacks today.

Also Oblivion has the biggest world out of the modern elder scrolls

Oblivion 57 sq km
Skyrim 37
Morrowind 24

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
But the world is empty :M

lol wat, there are more quests than in Skyrim, it is a vast improvement over Morrowind also, the attributes (Strength, Dexterity, Charisma, etc.) are more meaningful, as they cannot be trivially raised to the cap. The skills are now not just for giving a % chance, they give tangible benefits and can even open the whole new strategies of gameplay. Magic specialties are now actually playable, and magic is even deeper. The quests became more dynamic. NPCs are no longer static, they have their behaviors and can interact with each other.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
IDK Skyrim always felt bigger than Oblivion. Then again I bailed on Oblivion pretty early (Glass Armor on Brigands was the last straw) and never went back after the mods matured (OOO was pretty good right?). Maybe after I finish my FO3 run I'll give it another try.

ortucis

Prophet
(Glass Armor on Brigands was the last straw) and never went back after the mods matured (OOO was pretty good right?). Maybe after I finish my FO3 run I'll give it another try.

Funny thing is, when I first time encountered bandits with glass armor, I mistakenly thought it was one of the armor re-texture mods I had installed making them look that way. "There is no way in hell developers would've equipped that kind of armor on bloody bandits, it looks beyond stupid.", I was wrong of course, twas just Bethesda being Bethesda.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Oblivion was one of my first loves, I look fondly back at my time spent in the greenery of Cyrodil, did the land deserve to be traversed by one as bright and special as me? Probably not. But I did it anyway as I didn't understand anything else about love. Now I know it was never meant to be, I'm far too superior. Far more superior then most of my peers in the academy. What I deserve the world could never give me, as I am the one.

Deleted Member 16721

Enderal is excellent. As I said before, just skip the Special Edition of Skyrim for now (until more mods get ported/rewritten for it), and play Enderal. It's well worth it.

Skyrim SE will be worth playing when Requiem, Morrowloot and other mods work with it. Personally, I didn't notice the graphical enhancements of the SE at all on a huge 4K TV, other than better smoke coming off the fires. Maybe it's different later in the game.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
txaa makes alone huge difference because textures don't flicker

Ash

Arcane
Never did manage to get too far. The dumbed down systems, the copy-paste game world, the bland NPCs, the mind-numbing combat/stealth, pretty much everything about it was decline over Morrowind, which is a shame because Morrowind was some fucked up shit but it had so much potential. Oblivion had gud music though.

Skyrim was even worse than Oblivion.

All these games (including Morrowind) tempt me to replay them or give them another chance. Like Curious_Tongue I hear the respective game's music and it's like a Siren's call. "Maybe this time with all these mods it'll be good and fulfilling" I'd think. Thankfully I'm not that stupid and use logic to override nostalgic emotion.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I had not payed any attention to gaming for many years, possibly about a decade, so when I finally got around playing Oblivion, I had never really seen anything like it. Huge cities to explore, people who go about their daily business and talk to each other on the street, you could enter any house and see whats in there, vast landscapes to traverse. That level of simulation was completely new to me, it was like entering the world of a fantasy novel and being able to experience it freely.

Sure, soon enough the facade would begin to crumble. Conversations seemed to be quite odd on occasion, dungeons relatively similar and why did everybody wear glass armor all of a sudden? But for a time it was immersive if you were willing to squint a little.

I loved playing Oblivion and I am not going to pretend that I didn't. Todd Howard is what brought me back into RPGs. Go figure.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
uge cities to explore, people who go about their daily business and talk to each other on the street, you could enter any house and see whats in there, vast landscapes to traverse. That level of simulation was completely new to me, it was like entering the world of a fantasy novel and being able to experience it freely.

That's all becoming a standard now, so it's even easier to complain about oblivion being bad, beceause people forget how many things it did good and for the first time. At moment of release it wasn't really that bad.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I had not payed any attention to gaming for many years, possibly about a decade, so when I finally got around playing Oblivion, I had never really seen anything like it. Huge cities to explore, people who go about their daily business and talk to each other on the street, you could enter any house and see whats in there, vast landscapes to traverse. That level of simulation was completely new to me, it was like entering the world of a fantasy novel and being able to experience it freely.

Sure, soon enough the facade would begin to crumble. Conversations seemed to be quite odd on occasion, dungeons relatively similar and why did everybody wear glass armor all of a sudden? But for a time it was immersive if you were willing to squint a little.

I loved playing Oblivion and I am not going to pretend that I didn't. Todd Howard is what brought me back into RPGs. Go figure.
That's all becoming a standard now, so it's even easier to complain about oblivion being bad, beceause people forget how many things it did good and for the first time. At moment of release it wasn't really that bad.

You freaks are aware of Morrowind, right?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Just retardo this thread already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom