Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion turns 10 years old

Beastro

Arcane
What you get on your "recommend" Youtube list only looking at videos making fun of Todd.

sullynathan

Arcane
YouTube recommendations have been fucked up the past couple of months. I was watching one video then all of a sudden, I have recommendations from a neo Nazi girl.

pippin

The guy did a video about how Morrowind is the bes TES game though.
Also I'm suspicious of the intent of this video. I mean, the images only show you broken shit and bugs. Is this supposed to be ironic?

Well Bethestards have been trying to convince people that bugs are things that make gameplay fun and whimsical so maybe not

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I'm replaying the game now actually. I'm quite enjoying it, but there are some glaring issues, such as the level scaling. I just have to wonder what they were thinking when they thought it was a good idea for common thieves to be wearing Daedric armor at level 20. I'm level 17, and I feel like I already have nothing to strive for. In Morrowind, you were lucky to get a full suit of Daedric unless you killed Divayth Fyr.

There's a couple other gripes too -- the quest compass and bad voice acting. They couldn't even give Boromir or Captain Picard good lines. Why waste money on wasted talent? The same thing for Liam Neeson in Fallout 3. They like the big names, but they're too lazy to give them a good script. I say they should just fire all the writers. It might go a long way to help fixing their shit.
Just get the mod that does away with the scaling, why are you playing vanilla bro?

DraQ

Arcane
The only way to not succumb to acute brain death while playing Oblivion is heavily modding it and making a beeline for the expansion the moment you see daylight.
Even then it will be questionable as a form of entertainment, but at least not permanently damaging.

Or you can take the easy path and simply not play Oblivion.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Oblivion scarred deep, the mainstream rpg scene, to this very day.
Witcher 3 is held down by the influence of this dark moon. Even if your turn off the hud, you are not getting back the detailed travel directions we had with Morrowind.
Oblivion is just not one bad game, its cancer that managed to dumbdown this industry by a couple of notches.

I can't forget Oblivion, because it is everywhere.

Dux

Arcane
I'll never forget Oblivion. It will be with me always. Whenever I think of Oblivion I think of a burly Orc walking down the street wearing like a vest, a biggin and clogs, talking loudly about wines and bothersome immigrant goblins.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
For some reason I dug out Oblivion recently, and I found that even without mods, it can be fun if you go into it with the right mindset. Granted, that mindset is "Exploit the broken and nonsensical mechanics to crack the game wide open and fly around the world wreaking non-stop havoc like some sort of fantasy version of Just Cause," which probably isn't what the devs intended, but hey. Even then, Morrowind is still more enjoyable to break. The thing that really makes Oblivion fun, though, is the NPCs. My theory is that the Daedra actually already secretly infiltrated the world before the start of the game, and they're all walking around disguised as mortals, trying to fit in as mortals and have mortal conversations, completely unaware that everyone else is also a Daedra pretending to be mortal. So you get this weird off-putting thing where it ends up feeling like if the aliens from Third Rock From the Sun accidentally landed in Middle Earth.

The point is that the NPCs are creepy and off-putting and there's something strangely cathartic about ending their charade.

In other words, Oblivion takes the honour of being perhaps the only RPG I've ever played that's only enjoyable after a few drinks.

Dux

Arcane
I hear the Fighter's Guild is recruiting again, not a bad way to make some money... if you've got the testicles for it.

Seriously, it's probably the funniest game I've ever played. There's nothing quite like walking into a tavern or whatever and just listen to the absolute nonsense these scary mannequins are spouting. Throw a Frenzy spell at them and it's even better, especially if there's any guards around.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Ohhh man.

"Any news from the other provinces?"

"[SNIFF]"

"I've heard others say the same."

Got bored and left

And there we have it, folks, a final confirmation: games are, after all, art. And they're post-modern as fuck.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Oblivion will always be, to me, the greatest Codex mystery. Because I usually the same game than you guys do and didn't think it was half as terrible as you made it appear to be. But I guess every place must have its secrets.

DraQ

Arcane
Oblivion will always be, to me, the greatest Codex mystery. Because I usually the same game than you guys do and didn't think it was half as terrible as you made it appear to be. But I guess every place must have its secrets.
It'll be a tricky question to answer but what exactly is there about Oblivion that isn't mind-breaking, gibbering inducing shit?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom