Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Oblivion Review

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Good job, now you can also fix Darth Roxor's Legendary Arcania Review (tm) too
And all the other ones while you are at it :troll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
He deserves a medal just for playing Arcania to completion. I uninstalled after the first or second town hub.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This is a classic and one of the reviews everyone will remember.

Oblivion was truely the first next generation RPG and it's sad how the genre has degenerated since then. Though at the time the review was written it was not as clear as today that it was all because of the god damn consoles and the stupid people who'd buy them. Subsequently not the PC as a gaming platform died, but PC gaming as we knew it before 2005.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
rating_oldman.png

I'll have to give a brofist to this review in 2017.:bro:
Never too late to read it. Had some good laughs. I remember following all that hype prior to the release very closely back then (not too long ago). The hype... was... enormous. The disappointment was rather big, despite I was trying to hold my horses and be realistic about it.

Luckily I didn't make the same mistake again with Fallout 3, whereas I didn't catch any of that pre-release hype. How so? Well, Oblivion hype taught me, that even when trying to set expectations rather lower end regardless of the hype, Bethesda can still fuck things up even worse. Of course, Fallout 3's hype was way easier to eliminate as whole, knowing, that it wouldn't be anything in it's style like it's predecessor, Fallout 2, whereas with Oblivion, I was hoping a good sequel for Morrowind, which of course, is way more closely tied to Oblivion by it's style, than what Fallout 2 is to Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 isn't really a sequel at all, despite it's title, duh. FO2 and FO3 don't really have anything in common when it comes to how the game generally works and plays out.

Last edited:

Üstad

Arcane
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

We proudly present our review of the first truly next-generation RPG, Oblivion:

However, with Morrowind I think we saw that our kind of game appeals to a wider audience, given the game's success among more casual gamers who are neither "hardcore" nor "RPG geeks".
Gavin Carter

That quote is probably the best and most honest description of Oblivion I've ever seen. It's a game for casual players. Hardcore fans of the series or RPG geeks need not apply. You shall not find depth or challenge in Oblivion.
Good review this is the first time I read it, not much changed since then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom