Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion or Skyrim?

Doma

Augur
Skyrim is better. Even though it hurts to write this. Morrowind is their best of course, but that is common knowlegde.

Gord the Rogue

Barely Literate
I would have to say I prefer Oblivion, a game I find extremely charming in a campy way. The writing is as low-brow as Skyrim's, but delivered in the style of a Saturday morning cartoon instead of being played seriously, and the technicolor art design works to similar effect. It reminds me of its contemporaries Two Worlds (I) and Divinity 2, also lush and campy games with ludicrous dialog and voice acting. Oblivion's level scaling is a major problem, so I always play with Arthmoor's T.I.E., a compact (3mb) overhaul mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/35265/? I've never messed with any of the enormous complicated overhauls. The only other mods I use are the unofficial patches, some mods to restore cut content, and a mod to repair the bafflingly ugly vanilla faces. I find that Skyrim requires far more modding to become palatable.

I often played as a Khajiit acrobat in TES games, so I was quite disappointed to find that Skyrim removed the acrobatics and athletics skills. I had great fun raiding dungeons in Oblivion by running and leaping past all the enemies, grabbing the loot, and escaping at high speed.

For what it's worth, my first TES game was Daggerfall and I think Daggerfall and Morrowind are the best entries in the series. I would love to play a game halfway between TES2 and TES3 in design approach. I do wish Bethesda had some real competition in the genre of open-world first-person RPGs with character creation, since the deficits of their approach are clear even to their fans.

mastroego

Arcane
Skyrim with Requiem is a very solid experience, with fantastic moments even, I'll say that much.
I'm not talking about the writing or the quality of quests, evidently, since they are untouched by the mod, and they are what they are.

Jimbob

Literate
I think that Daggerfall was their best game. If only they would have stuck to that and ironed out the glaring problems...

Daggerfall. I'll always love it because I was like 10 when it came out. But all I can remember is spending about 3 hours running around the same dungeon trying to get out and being murdered by some uber vampire lich.

Skyrim for the win for me, mainly because of it's sheer majesty - totally loved the mage questline and when I had fun murdering everything as an over powered mage, I discovered it's extremely fun as a ranger firing those arrows at just the right time. The slow-mo instanta-kill camera as well - so rewarding!

Oblivion was a great game also - felt like there was a bit more meat on that bone than Skyrim, especially with all the deadric portal business, great fun having a plan and then stumbling across one thinking hmmmm.... OK what the hell lol

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Skyrim is better. Even though it hurts to write this. Morrowind is their best of course, but that is common knowlegde.

I think that Daggerfall was their best game. If only they would have stuck to that and ironed out the glaring problems...

They did iron out all the glaring problems.........the glaring problems in developing such a game.

"Let's have less of everything, because more easy development!"
"Won't the customer care?"
"Distract them with the shiney!"
"........yes!"

Iznaliu

Arbiter
BVZQTd3.jpg

The road looks really fake; the stone texture looks more like somebody's patio than a road that actually suffers extensive from wear and tear. It should probably be dirt as that's more realistic; except in high-traffic areas, I don't think stone was very common.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom