Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion must have mods.

bhlaab

Erudite
I played through Oblivion with about a gazillion mods

Not worth it.

Actually, hunting down the mods was more fun than playing the game.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nehrim :smug:

In all seriousness, Oblivion is an abysmal piece of crap that simply cannot be saved by mods; not even by Nehrim, in spite of it's far superior design and writing.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, I posted this thread because I have no interest in installing a gazillion mods and succumbing to Mod Paralysis. Just a few of the best ones so I can play the game and see how it goes. This is my final list of mods which should play nicely together. I'm not expecting Daggerfall goodness or even Morrowind mediocrity but at least a playable game with this.

unofficial patches
deadly reflexes
thieves arsenal
unique landscapes
natural enviroments
qarls texture pack
Darnified UI
Oblivion Mod Manager
OBSE
Francesco’s Leveled Creatures and Items Mod
Attack and Hide
Reneer's Guard Overhaul

Extra content ones if the unexpected happens and this game doesn't burn me out in the first few hours.

The Blackwood Company
The Lost Spires
Integration: The Stranded Light
Windfall

Anyway, thanks for the help. Lets see how long it takes me to install the famed uninstall mod.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nehrim, too. It's a Total Conversion that is much much better than OB in every respect. Play it after Oblivion.

LameNinja

Novice
Oblivion is a unique game. You will spend more time modding it than playing it :P

Also no one mentioned mods that change the leveling system but you must have one of those.

Nehrim, too. It's a Total Conversion that is much much better than OB in every respect. Play it after Oblivion.
Does it change the main quest and story?

Varn

Educated
If you know you're only getting less than "Morrowind mediocrity" with this game, then I query why you're going to the length of installing these mods in the first place. There are plenty of RPG's out there that play very well right out of the box, and are enjoyable games in their own right. I still don't think we've reached the point where someone has to play Oblivion due to being starved of decent RPG's. Even replaying diablo 2 for the 50th time is far more enjoyable than Oblivion.

Rpgsaurus

Novice
Trash said:
If you would start a first playthrough of Oblivion (Goty with the expansions and DLC) what mods would you consider to be must haves? I never ever played the game but want to give it a spin and preferably with improvements but not too much hassle. Anyone got any solid recommendations?

If you like the "exploration element" in your games (a la Morrowind), consider ditching the OC completely and installing the Nehrim mod (a total conversion).

Nevermind, it has already been mentioned.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Man, all this trouble and the game is still shit. Not even that hard to pinpoint exactly what's wrong with it. It's lifeless, even with all the mods. Anyway, thanks for the help.

:love:

Morkar Left

Trash said:
Oblivion ... preferably with improvements but not too much hassle.

Forget it. You have to at least sacrifice 1 week of your lifetime to make Oblivion bearable and bugfree/without glitches.

EDIT:

Trash said:
Man, all this trouble and the game is still shit. Not even that hard to pinpoint exactly what's wrong with it. It's lifeless, even with all the mods.

nevermind...

Ruprekt

Scholar
Add the OOO and MMM content makeovers (or the combination FCOM) and the Deadly Reflex combat extender. Then you'll have a good (IMO the best) 'action rpg' dungeon crawler.

However, nothing is going to redeem the rest of the game. Oblivion is not a good "open world" rpg or even "hiking sim". If you want one of those, install Gothic 3.

Lunac

Arcane
wz_Inventory definitely. Tiny mod that makes the inventory more bearable and easier to manage with grids, smaller icons, and what-not. If your specs can handle it, then check out Qarl's texture pack. As for the rest? Some (most?) on here will tell you that you need 20 to 25 million USD at a minimum and a team of 100 professional developers to make that game right and playable. In some respects they are right. However, all you really need is some imagination and ability to have fun, irregardless of everything else.

Before everyone jumps on it, YES, it's a shi* game overall, compared to what we had back in the good old days. But this is it folks, as good as it gets. It's only going to get worse. Can you say Skyrim?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Lunac said:
wz_Inventory definitely. Tiny mod that makes the inventory more bearable and easier to manage with grids, smaller icons, and what-not. If your specs can handle it, then check out Qarl's texture pack. As for the rest? Some (most?) on here will tell you that you need 20 to 25 million USD at a minimum and a team of 100 professional developers to make that game right and playable. In some respects they are right. However, all you really need is some imagination and ability to have fun, irregardless of everything else.

Before everyone jumps on it, YES, it's a shi* game overall, compared to what we had back in the good old days. But this is it folks, as good as it gets. It's only going to get worse. Can you say Skyrim?

turul

Augur
Lunac said:
on here will tell you that you need 20 to 25 million USD at a minimum and a team of 100 professional developers to make that game right and playable. In some respects they are right. However, all you really need is some imagination and ability to have fun, irregardless of everything else.

Who is saying that? :/

jancobblepot

Educated
spongebob-imagination.jpg

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Konjad said:
Trash said:
If you would start a first playthrough of Oblivion (Goty with the expansions and DLC) what mods would you consider to be must haves? I never ever played the game but want to give it a spin and preferably with improvements but not too much hassle. Anyone got any solid recommendations?

Morrowind.

DAGGERFALL!

DraQ

Arcane
deus101 said:
Konjad said:
Trash said:

Morrowind.

DAGGERFALL!
Daggerfall AND Morrowind.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
I like it when google sends me here, especially this time. *g*

I'm at the desperate point Trash was two months ago, I'm going to give it a good mod try, with Francesco and Oblivion XP being the cornerstones of my emporium of joy. Hope they like each other.

(That was probably an appropriate remark about hunting mods would be more fun than playing the result. I had lots of fun finding and installing various mods.)

But, question!
Is there a way to modify the size/zoom factor of the local map in DarNified UI? I found map_config.xml useful for adjusting the world map... but no luck so far with the area map. It pretty (oh the colours!) ... but useless, way too small.

jancobblepot

Educated
Ok, right now I'm playing Oblivion with OOO, No Quest Markers, No Fast Travel, and official patches only. It's a decent sandbox game, I'm having fun killing random peasants (evil wizard :roll: ). And those fucking imps are killing me with one hit (High Elf + the apprentice birthsign).

Slightly modded Oblivion is better than Arena, IMO. Here we go again...

saenz

Scholar
I didn't see it mentioned yet, but the guy who did the Morrowind Modding Guide also did one for Oblivion. It's primarily focused on graphics and performance, but it's far more detailed and methodical writeup than anything else you'll find out there.

http://knotstheinane.blogspot.com/p/obl ... guide.html

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom