Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2, shit's too small, I can't see

NWN would fucking break in some scenes if it needed an actor to complete an action and it was already dead. He's not talking about the AI fighting itself; he means the PC killing enemies too soon.

Random trash mobs in a dungeon though?

Aren't most of them set to wander randomly? Makes sense you wouldn't want them to spawn really early and just wander away into other battle areas. Or like I said with players accidentally drawing new enemies in than an encounter was balanced for.

In any case spawning more Orcs in the Orc Cave shouldn't tax memory much at all. It's not like you load Generic Orc Model 100 separate times for 100 separate enemies, you load it in once. Having tons of creatures is probably going to bottleneck your CPU before your memory.

Severian Silk

That quote doesn't say anything about performance issues.

I experienced them myself. Run over the multiple triggers to spawn in the same group on pre-2007 hardware.
But that could be video memory (too many 3D models, textures) or CPU (too much AI, scripting). It does not necessarily have to do with system memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely CPU. Bunch of AI scripts and bunches of FoV calculations running constantly, plus whatever initialization logic there is. If its slowdown during the first few seconds while you run over the triggers then it might simply be your HDD spinning up.

It's pretty rare that memory is a problem in PC games and when it is its really obvious. If you run out of memory, programs immediately grind to almost a standstill or crash. Other parts of the system being taxed cause slowdowns.

Severian Silk

Yeah, your whole system would come to a halt and start spawning error messages when running out of memory. (Though on a single core CPU the system would come to a halt anyway...)

Aothan

Magister
I'm sure there are still active and populated persistent worlds, if you are playing NWN 2 (or even the original) these places offer a lot of interaction, both in solitary play and with others. Although on the worlds that remain presumably the rulesets and modifications whilst staying mostly accurate would also be fairly extensive by now

laclongquan

Arcane
You can set party to 6 and run around in full squad, BG-IWD style and shits would get slowed right down.

Adding on a few more spell effects and it stalls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom