Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 OC was not bad as people make it out

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It seems to me that the developers of NWN2 tried to make things as close to the core rules as possible, which is to their credit as few do (the travesty of Dragonshard, the Eberron RTS, is a prime example, which is ironic given where DnD started in the first place).

Well, except the epic level rules for AB progression and saving throw progression. Those were screwed for some reason.

Citizen

Well for first time it's not so bad, but it's not so epic and replayable like BG2.

Well, yes, but maybe you shoul edit your post to something retarded instead, while you still got time? Sane posting will badly affect your retarded per post ratio.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Replaying this as I just re-bought it on GOG in sale, got Steam version but thats not complete and i've never played Westgate so thought i'd have a dabble in OC to get up to speed on game rules, play and peculiarities. Got to say that i'm impressed, its not a great game, and I can see the bloody flaws from a mile away but its got good bones and has potential in my opinion.

The camera is still a bitch, even now, improved but still a pain in the arse.
The game is fucking pretty, recently at Highcliff Castle and spent five minutes just watching moon rise and reflect on lake there.
Areas even though well made and pretty are largely empty and undetailed, they have so much potential to expand on em, but instead cram in half a dozen more areas.
Character models are fairly detailed, not pretty and a bit stiff, but more than adequate and overall I like the fairly restrained art design. A mail coat looks like a mail coat, not some weird Bioware thing.
That said the companions though serviceable are hardly highlights in a game where they should be, bad MCA, bad! Why the fuck would you want to make Ironfist into a shit Monk from a born Fighter?
Some of the detail on the dungeon tiles is bloody staggering, the dead adventurers lying around the Fort Locke graveyard tombs are fantastically rendered, you can see how they died, what they were weilding etc.
But all this effort is not taken advantage of, these brilliant assets are almost entirely unused.
West Harbour as a home and starting point is well realised, too small, not very well laid out but you get a definite sense of place.
Most other places aren't, Fort Locke, Highcliff Castle and Crossroad Keep should have been merged into one in my opinion, as it is the first two are fire and forget locations, totally wasted.
I think 3rd ed rules are fairly well implemented, its enjoyable enough gameplay wise, but no TOEE. When are devs gonna learn that turn based suits parties and pnp games.
Highcliff village is utterly wasted, two or three nothing quests and you're gone, should have either replaced West Harbour and been built upon, or West Harbour should have replaced Highcliff and served as more of a hub earlier on.

It feels like early Obsidian were trying to be Bioware here, and that always ends badly for em as you get dull, bland and predictable Bioware shit. But there was bloody potential there, so much of it, needed tightening up, editing and good stuff brought to fore rather than all mediocre shit shoved down your throat. At Neverwinter now and don't know if i'll continue much longer, but felt like a brain vomit.

laclongquan

Arcane
Well for first time it's not so bad, but it's not so epic and replayable like BG2.

Said you. I replay Original Campaign a few times. Hell, I even install big modules

Baldur's Gate Reloaded. BG1 with updated graphic baby~
Pool of Radiance Remastered . Pool of Radiance with updated graphic baby~
Icewind Dale module. IWD with updated graphic baby~

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Baldur's Gate Reloaded. BG1 with updated graphic baby~
Pool of Radiance Remastered . Pool of Radiance with updated graphic baby~
Icewind Dale module. IWD with updated graphic baby~

You have been recommending this overrated remake garbage for years. Why not play an original mod instead of a copy-pasta that isn't even as good as the originals?

laclongquan

Arcane
Because I am really not interested in trying amateur writings, is why. The remakes are all using original writings from the original games, so I know what kind of quality I can expect. ORIGINAL mods? Bitch please. I have no patience for the amateur writers.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Got to get this off me chest cos it's really rubbing me rhubarb!
Why the bloody hell am I never given an option to play smart? Instead of interesting situations and solutions I have one option: Carve through opposition.
Undead army near Fort Locke, slaughter em all.
Undead army near Highcliffe, slaughter em all.
Load o Shadow Thieves, same again.
Orcs (2 armies) around Old Owl Well, more cluster fuck grinding.
Gith assassins, kill em all.
On and on, popping them walking xp bags, boring and bloody unimaginative.

If I'm assassinating an Orc king I don't want to wade through his fucking army, that should be impossible, I want to sneak into his base or lure out his army or turn one of his generals, yadda, yadda. So bloody unambitious.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Because their design philosophy was based on using trashmobs to extend play time.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Yeah and trash loot, two modern staples of bloating your game.
Still got to admit chapter 2 and 3 are head and shoulders above first chapter.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Instead of interesting situations and solutions I have one option: Carve through opposition.
I think you're saying you're killing a lot of stuff.

What's the problem here again?

Neanderthal

Arcane
They're not good, challenging or interesting fights. I can't help thinking every time I see yet another mob that it'd be so much better turn based and less disorganised.

Plus game cheats, pulls you into cutsscenes even when stealthed or invisible. AND THERE'S HARDLY ANY ELFS TO PURGE!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
AND THERE'S HARDLY ANY ELFS TO PURGE!
Not true, if you can get the wooden one killed.

But yes, no elves that would array themselves against you. It's just a fuckload of Men and beasts.
:hmmm: ELF PROPAGANDA.

Brb, making elf genocide module.

laclongquan

Arcane
Why the bloody hell am I never given an option to play smart? Instead of interesting situations and solutions I have one option: Carve through opposition.

If I'm assassinating an Orc king I don't want to wade through his fucking army, that should be impossible, I want to sneak into his base or lure out his army or turn one of his generals, yadda, yadda. So bloody unambitious.

Because a good commander rely on brutal effective force to get the job done? Why try something fancy when you have an elite team on your finger for your violent needs?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Did you take on the quest to sneak into the house of a lord and nick a painting or whatever it was? That one was a riot. The sneaking ended as soon as you went in the back door, two guards bum-rush you, sound of clanging metal and screams across the entire city. No-one reacts though, so you go upstairs to get the quest item & the lord is standing right fucking there. You have some bullshit conversation with him & fight some more etc etc etc. This is, I think, the big 'personal quest' for that awful rogue companion. I was just laughing at the game as I played by that point, it had become so bad it was good kind of bad. I have no idea why anyone praises this game beyond the amount of laughs you can get from taking the piss out of it. Apologies to laclongquan just talking about the OC here.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I've tried play NWN 2 recently because this thread made me want to give it a second chance, but I get such shit fps in dungeons like the starting lizard dungeon or the crypts outside Fort Locke. It seems whenever I move the framerate drops but as soon as I stop moving it goes back to 60.

I have a 1070 and got the extender and turned off the water reflection and all that shit. Still runs like ass.

Anyone else have/had this problem?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I've tried play NWN 2 recently because this thread made me want to give it a second chance, but I get such shit fps in dungeons like the starting lizard dungeon or the crypts outside Fort Locke. It seems whenever I move the framerate drops but as soon as I stop moving it goes back to 60.

I have a 1070 and got the extender and turned off the water reflection and all that shit. Still runs like ass.

Anyone else have/had this problem?

Biggest drain on FPS is usually the shadows, especially given that they aren't well optimized in NWN2. Turn them all the way off if you haven't already.

If you have already turned off the shadows, you might try turning everything else down, including the resolution. If that doesn't work, then uninstall and install something that you enjoy.

Neanderthal

Arcane

Did you take on the quest to sneak into the house of a lord and nick a painting or whatever it was? That one was a riot. The sneaking ended as soon as you went in the back door, two guards bum-rush you, sound of clanging metal and screams across the entire city. No-one reacts though, so you go upstairs to get the quest item & the lord is standing right fucking there. You have some bullshit conversation with him & fight some more etc etc etc. This is, I think, the big 'personal quest' for that awful rogue companion. I was just laughing at the game as I played by that point, it had become so bad it was good kind of bad. I have no idea why anyone praises this game beyond the amount of laughs you can get from taking the piss out of it. Apologies to laclongquan just talking about the OC here.

What pisses me off is the unevenness, for that ridiculous Neeshka quest you've got the great trial and investigation, for all the grinding you've got the neat Keep minigame. They show flashes of making a classic game then piss it all away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom