Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN OC plot was cut, possibly due to publisher meddling

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cernd is great. Greater werewolves are awesome and you can use him as a spellcaster if you don't need extra muscle so he's very versatile. KhelBRO's an inquisitor, generally considered the best paladin on account of his massive Dispel cock. Then there's Yoshimo, who's a bounty hunter and thus equipped with the best traps in the game. He can solo dragons that start off peaceful (which is all except the black dragon in that elven city IIRC) by laying a couple dozen traps around them before the fight. I guess if you're looking for simplicity they're probably not the best to go with though. And I do use a character editor to adjust stats/classes if I want more out of them (in particular I adjust Cernd so I can dual him into a fighter since I almost always keep him in werewolf form).

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The three i've cited are powerful single class characters, that's what i meant. Paladins and ranger i didn't count because their base class is already somewhat of a mix, and BG2 being the first D&D game i ever played, i remember wanting to have a better feel of playing with core classes before trying the more elaborate ones. I wanted to play good but only evil characters were powerful and core class. And a lot of the goody-two-shoes were hybrid classes with mediocre stats (who in their right mind would play with Anomen ?), and frankly the other mages couldn't compare to Edwin.
This is exactly right. The evil characters were the ones who focused on a single core skill heavily, which is why you had to give up a reputation and your store discounts to keep them. Otherwise, make do with the lukewarm neutral/good characters with skills and stats spread everywhere.

By the way, Crenshinibon of Game Banshee said he had a much easier and better time with a Bard than a Fighter/Mage/Thief while soloing the BG saga.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Cernd is great. Greater werewolves are awesome and you can use him as a spellcaster if you don't need extra muscle so he's very versatile. KhelBRO's an inquisitor, generally considered the best paladin on account of his massive Dispel cock. Then there's Yoshimo, who's a bounty hunter and thus equipped with the best traps in the game. He can solo dragons that start off peaceful (which is all except the black dragon in that elven city IIRC) by laying a couple dozen traps around them before the fight. I guess if you're looking for simplicity they're probably not the best to go with though. And I do use a character editor to adjust stats/classes if I want more out of them (in particular I adjust Cernd so I can dual him into a fighter since I almost always keep him in werewolf form).
Yeah, Keldorn was awesome.

Keldorn with Carsomyr is basically a win button against Irenicus. Irenicus would waste good spells on someone with 75% Spell Resistance (50 Carsomyr, 20 from two Rings of Gaxx, and 5 from Amulet), and Keldorn would break all of his buffs and invisibility with his sword and his inquisitor abilities.

GordonHalfman

Scholar
I don't get why do people keep saying Viconia is stronger than Anomen? His fighter levels give him 2 attacks per round, which means 4 with improved haste. That by itself makes up for his poor stats. The one attack per round restriction was the main reason pure class thieves and clerics were kind of meh in BG. Thieves should at least have been able to dual wield.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Viconia was shit. Jaheira was better.

Cernd was awesome, one of the most powerful characters in the game.

#1 ofcourse, was Edwin. He would have grown to rival Irenicus.

J1M

Arcane
So tired of hearing developers blame publishers for things.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
So tired of hearing developers blame publishers for things.

This.

But I am sure most of the time the devs are right...after all, if a dev house gets a repute for blaming publishers, no publisher is going to want to fund them

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
BIo never blamed anyone. That's why this nonsense wasn't common nonsense. It's why hardly anyone who whines about KOTOR2 having any entire pklanet cut don't realzie KOTOR1 also had a planet cut. R00fles!

P.S. NWN > U

Captain Shrek

The problem Volourn, is that cut content or not, the quality of KOTOR can't be made better. Only worse.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Meh. KOTOR2 is no better no matter what. Both are overrated.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Keldorn with Carsomyr is basically a win button against Irenicus. Irenicus would waste good spells on someone with 75% Spell Resistance (50 Carsomyr, 20 from two Rings of Gaxx, and 5 from Amulet), and Keldorn would break all of his buffs and invisibility with his sword and his inquisitor abilities.
That's because vanilla Irenicus is too dumb to cast Spell Immunity: Abjuration and casts useless spells (like Power Word: Kill and Ice Storm).

Wyrmlord

Arcane
That's because vanilla Irenicus is too dumb to cast Spell Immunity: Abjuration and casts useless spells (like Power Word: Kill and Ice Storm).
He also does not cast Spell Immunity: Divination, which would protect his invisibility.

I don't know, the way I see it, you cast one spell instead of another, and you gain something but lose another thing.

If Irenicus were to spend all his time on buffs, then the only way to defeat him is to run away, and let him keep wasting his buffs until you run back and kill him. It is reasonable that he give up a few rounds of buffing in favour of a few rounds of offensive spells. So the developers had to work under such trade-offs. What BioWare did with vanilla Irenicus was as close as possible to a great mage fight. It's not perfect, but it's one of the best, up there with the Makala fight in Betrayal at Krondor.

Multi-headed Cow

I liked Aerie.
:mob:

I blasted that foul ogre with magic! And then nobody romanced me because I was a gnome illusionist and this was before Bioware had romances for every race alignment gender and sexuality! THE ONLY ROMANCE IN MY PARTY WAS A LOVE TRIANGLE WITH JAN, MINSC, AND KORGAN!

Xavier0889

Learned
Because why would you want to be sexist whe you can be racist as well.
It suits the mind of the average fangirl, anyway.

aleph

Arcane
By the way, Crenshinibon of Game Banshee said he had a much easier and better time with a Bard than a Fighter/Mage/Thief while soloing the BG saga.

Is this your way of trying to "prove" that a single class character is more powerful than a multi-class character?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"By the way, Crenshinibon of Game Banshee said he had a much easier and better time with a Bard than a Fighter/Mage/Thief while soloing the BG saga."

And, why shouldm his bullshiot be taken as 'fact"?

FUCK HIM and his unoriginal name.

Any idiot can see why starting from level 1 with a tri-class character and then soloing with it would be challenging. At later levels your only differences vs a pure class is being one spell level behind casters and a bit of HP and THAC0 behind a pure fighter.

Kukulkan

Learned
Ie recal Voly macing a desent thred abouot the NWN Oc dephendin id. Could somwon linc to itt?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom