Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview NWN 2: Storm of Zehir video at Destructoid

DefJam101

Arcane
God that game engine is fucking terrible. That ONE shot in the desert looks decent at best, everything else is just shit.

Also, particle fury. :?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It looks good from map distance though. Maybe they could implement a "map camera" into the game. This way they'll also get rid of the constant camera problems since there won't be anything blocking your view.

Warden

Arbiter
DefJam101 said:
God that game engine is fucking terrible. That ONE shot in the desert looks decent at best, everything else is just shit.

This has more to do with things becoming "truth" after repeating them countless times rather than actual reality.
NWN2 looks very good even up close. But somehow people love supporting urban legens and going with the flow. So you'll have a great deal of people who don't understand/care much about graphics but they'll simply reproduce what they heard/read.
You may not like it, but you can't say it looks shitty:

nwn2.jpg

http://www.atari.com/nwn2/IT/_assets/ss ... een_md.jpg

http://www.atari.com/nwn2/IT/_assets/ss ... een_md.jpg

64253293ab5.jpg

nwn2motb1.jpg

nwn2_motb_rec_06.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nobody cares about graphics.

Perfomance, though. I hope it'll run somewhat smoothly.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why would I play a game that won't run on my computer? But I heard it has perfomance issues anyway so I hope that when I have a new one, they'll have been mostly fixed so it looks reasonably good.

Warden

Arbiter
Jasede said:
Why would I play a game that won't run on my computer? But I heard it has perfomance issues anyway so I hope that when I have a new one, they'll have been mostly fixed so it looks reasonably good.

I don't know.. why would you talk about it/ its performance if you can't run it at all? :D
Can't say I have any problems running it with my nvidia 6600 IF shadows are on low.

Lumpy

Arcane
Holy fucking shit, Warden is perfectly right for once.
Anyone who things NWN2 looks ugly is, quoting Roqua, a gaylord. And nobody should give a fuck about gaylords. (no offense, Jasede and Warden (btw why don't you guys hook up or smth?)).

Warden

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
Anyone who things NWN2 looks ugly is, quoting Roqua, a gaylord. And nobody should give a fuck about gaylords. (no offense, Jasede and Warden (btw why don't you guys hook up or smth?)).

I'm always right, you little creep.

Hooking up with Jasede? Yes, if I liked skeletal boys and not muscled sportsmen. In another life, in another life..

Lumpy

Arcane
Warden said:
Hooking up with Jasede? Yes, if I liked skeletal boys and not muscled sportsmen. In another life, in another life..
But Jasede has been exercising heavily for, like, 11 pages by now. Maybe you should ask for some recent pics?

fastpunk

Arbiter
Starwars said:
Here's a new presentation video of the game, showcasing a bit of the opening, the world map, new tileset etc. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwin ... d=6196650#

Kinda spoils just a bit what happens at the start of the game, so if you don't wanna know anything, then don't look.

Thanks for the heads up! This is more like it, that combat video which appeared a few days ago was a bit disappointing.

Hory

Erudite
Lumpy said:
You two must have low standards, because NWN2 does look ugly.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

dunno, concerning outside areas NWN2 doesnt look THAT bad (but not great either) - the really horrible part of NWN2 is most characters (especially faces) and dungeons.

drakensang looked a whole lot better to me than NWN2 in almost everything and runs far better on older computers.

but given the gameplay is good ( and i m liking what i was reading so far) i dont mind. just wish they d have done anything to combat animations so the boring combat at least doesnt look as boring. ( in a perfect world they d make the combat non-boring but this is obsidian entertainment we re talking about :p)

DefJam101

Arcane
Lumpy said:
Anyone who things NWN2 looks ugly is, quoting Roqua, a gaylord. And nobody should give a fuck about gaylords.

I said the game engine is shitty, not the art direction. The art direction in certain parts of MOTB was pretty nice. NWN2 OC was pretty :vomit:, however. Good art direction can save a game from a shit engine, but even that still doesn't help performance issues.

Warden

Arbiter
Hory said:
because NWN2 does look ugly.

You look ugly and it won't help you if you say other things look ugly.

I haven't noticed that the faces in NWN2 look ugly. Sure, they don't have the OHH SOO MODEL LIKE ELVES - they're not very attractive, sure, but that's not because NWN2 graphics are bad, it's because they imagined elf heads like that.

Someone mentioned Drakensang as an example - yes, it's easy to have beautiful and detailed faces when you have 10 of them. NWN2 has a LOT of faces (and of course, people want more.. I do too) - and there's some quality difference between NPC faces (party members and important npcs) and faces which the player can select.
After playing it a while you notice that Drakensang is full of clones.

A lot of people are mixing up "attractive" and "graphically well designed".
Drakensang has very attractive male faces.. njami njami. And I watched the legs of that guy in the Blutenberg woods for a while - almost barefeet and muscled legs. :D

As for interior areas - the only problem I have with interiors is the crypt/dungeon tileset. I wish they had more of them. I'm not liking it that much as it becomes very repetitive. I'm not questioning its graphical quality though.

nwn2ss042607154534fs9.jpg

I don't like those pillars by the walls.

PS. Try to turn on the grass/vegetation in Drakensang (middle graphical setting) and see how if runs after that...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I think you are trolling; this really does not look much better than NWN 1; you can do pretty pretty things with NWN 1 with some fiddling.

But it does not really matter, the game is what counts.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Actually, the shitty engine of NWN2 and the fact that it came out as a NWN2OC expansion , is what keeps MOTB from being a truly great, stand alone RPG.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Starwars said:
Here's a new presentation video of the game, showcasing a bit of the opening, the world map, new tileset etc. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwin ... d=6196650#

Kinda spoils just a bit what happens at the start of the game, so if you don't wanna know anything, then don't look.

This was a good video. They are making resting harder, sounds like making the game more challenging and have added an overland map (Although I don't know if I like the scale of the overland map much).

I am also not a big fan of the Jungle setting, but it still looks like this might be good. I realize the medieval european forest has been done alot so they want something different, but jungles just arent my thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom