Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview NWN 2: Storm of Zehir video at Destructoid

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir; Obsidian Entertainment

To take a break from discussing the dialogue in the upcoming FUBARPG, you might want to take a peek at a <a href="http://www.destructoid.com/storm-of-zehir-feels-old-and-new-at-the-same-time-99892.phtml">video</a> concerning the second expansion to NWN 2. As one should expect from a video about an ambitious RPG project, it contains 15 seconds of logos and 30 seconds of combat. Nice-looking combat in pretty locations, though. Also, there's a bit of info about party mechanics:<blockquote>Another point of interest stems from the new party dynamics being introduced. Players will be able to not only form parties, but also enjoy the external benefits from having them. Players will be able to engage in conversation with members and have access to a “Teamwork Benefit System” which adds modifiers in battle for having a consistent party and utilizing talents well. Two new classes have been introduced, as well as several spells and creatures.</blockquote>
<br>
Check out the video <a href="http://www.destructoid.com/storm-of-zehir-feels-old-and-new-at-the-same-time-99892.phtml">here</a>.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Warden</b>!

Texas Red

Whiner
Whoever is responsible for the advertisement of NWN 2 is a fail man. When we had MotB, nobody even had a clue that the dialogs and the setting would prove so great, only after some QA from Obsidian wrote about it in his blog. We see the same now: it's as if though they're still trying to attract Xboxers with (shitty) combat and ignore the audience that actually buys their game.

While playing an RPG I'd like it to be about MY character. No, I don't want to take control of other personalities and no I don't want to create a party. Having to play around with your companions in KotOR 2 in some dungeons were the shittiest part of the game.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I like both solo RPGs and party RPGs, but I'm pretty sure such videos aren't flashy enough to attract the ADD crowd, but also do not show anything from which you could infer this was an RPG at all. So it's FAIL on both counts. The "teamwork benefit system" sounds interesting, though. I wonder how the game will establish I have a "consistent" party?

Also, if you close your eyes and pretend really hard, the drums in the beginning (after the logos) sound a littile, tiniest bit like the ones from PS:T.

Warden

Arbiter
Dark Individual said:
While playing an RPG I'd like it to be about MY character. No, I don't want to take control of other personalities and no I don't want to create a party. Having to play around with your companions in KotOR 2 in some dungeons were the shittiest part of the game.

You can create just 1 character and recruit (2) cohorts. I was at first a bit iffy about the party creation too - but then they said you decide how many party members to create, with the maximum being four. I decided I'll create 2 characters (delevelled to lvl 1) and let 1 cohort in the party.

Regarding the game being about my character.. I actually enjoy being somehow at the "periphery" of the plot.. which unfolds as you travel and discover new places. And then, casually, bumping into it and pursuing it to solve the mystery. This seems to be the kind of game I like. Third luck.. as they say in my country.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Warden said:
You can create just 1 character and recruit (2) cohorts. I was at first a bit iffy about the party creation too - but then they said you decide how many party members to create, with the maximum being four. I decided I'll create 2 characters (delevelled to lvl 1) and let 1 cohort in the party.

Indeed, configuring your party seems flexible in SoZ. The party combat in NWN2 never really felt good with more than 3-4 characters anyway.

I'm looking forward to SoZ, but this video is lame, showcasing only a few of the new areas... the combat we already know too well.

Texas Red

Whiner
Warden said:
Dark Individual said:

Regarding the game being about my character.. I actually enjoy being somehow at the "periphery" of the plot.. which unfolds as you travel and discover new places. And then, casually, bumping into it and pursuing it to solve the mystery. This seems to be the kind of game I like. Third luck.. as they say in my country.

I was told here on the Codex that you control what the cohorts say.

Lumpy

Arcane
I can't wait until Warden gets raped by the reasonably difficult for a party of 4 enemies.

Warden

Arbiter
Dark Individual said:
I was told here on the Codex that you control what the cohorts say.

You can't decide what they say, you just decide if they say it. I think that's ok. If you're curious.. you can let your cohort speak; otherwise you can ignore unwanted interjections. After all, you're the boss and should be clear who decides who will speak and when. ;)

For example, cohort Tirena has the option to say to Mirena NPC "I want to slit your throat, you bitch". But instead you say to Tirena to be quiet; *shhh*.

Warden

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
I can't wait until Warden gets raped by the reasonably difficult for a party of 4 enemies.

That can't happen. :) I am a strong & stylish player. And also.. I will have a monster for the overland map. There are only 2 classes that are ideal for spot and listen.. and who cares about survival - I want to fight.

One will be a rogue/fighter and this time I'll take feint. The overland map monster.. I won't disclose. The 3rd character, a cohort, will probably be a caster, too.

Lumpy, don't be stupid with your fantasies, I can solo most of the OC like np without cheese - with the help of 1 (and 1 only) NPC for some tougher battles.

Lumpy

Arcane
I haet it when you control a party member but get generic options anyway - goes to show how soulless the dialog system really is. No matter who led the party on Dxun, for example, you had the exact same options.
Over here, though, cohorts get special options in particular conversations, sometimes several. The example was that some guy meets his ex-girlfriend who became an undead spawn of doom. You can either have him say something good, something bad, or shut up - and she reacts differently even when he shuts up.

Warden

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
who became an undead spawn of doom.

:lol: :lol:

I'll also become an undead spawn of doom, with or without Septimund.
I also get very angry, like that undead spawn of doom, when the man I want ignores me.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Have you played all the old RPGs of the late 80s and early 90s where you had to create a whole party? The classics that inspired the modern stuff in the first place? And yet ironically, you feel creating a whole party is a detraction from the older tradition.

I mean, come on. This RPG Codex, and people are saying stuff like this? This is Melirinda level of stubborness, thinking that BG style games are the only true format of a RPG. Is this the Codex's range?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You'd be surprised; some already go as far as to say that nothing that isn't Fallout-like is an RPG. I think Lumpy was one of these fellows, but don't quote me on that. Me, I'll gladly suck party-based RPG cock.

Lumpy

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
I was gonna post "in before Jasede" but I was pretty sure I wouldn't make it.
Also Jazzy I have since adopted the "I don't give a fuck what it is as long as it's fun" position.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Even here? Even here, people think that only an isometric game with dialogue trees and predetermined party members can be a RPG?

So where can I find a niche forum for hardcore RPG fans?

Relayer71

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
Also Jazzy I have since adopted the "I don't give a fuck what it is as long as it's fun" position.

That's the way it should be - entertainment value > everything else.

Lurkar

Scholar
I believe you get up to six companions, not four; your four predetermined characters, and two cohorts.

Also, I believe we're up to three classes announced.

Fez

Erudite
So what is the complete pack that includes this one going to be called? The diamond-studded platinum pack?

Wyrmlord said:
Dark Individual said:
Have you played all the old RPGs of the late 80s and early 90s where you had to create a whole party? The classics that inspired the modern stuff in the first place? And yet ironically, you feel creating a whole party is a detraction from the older tradition.

I mean, come on. This RPG Codex, and people are saying stuff like this? This is Melirinda level of stubborness, thinking that BG style games are the only true format of a RPG. Is this the Codex's range?

I actually agree with him to a degree. The way KOTOR2 handled it was utter shit. I don't mind playing as a party that I created, because they're all my character by extension, and I usually like them all and have fun playing around with lots of different options. But I hate being forced to add characters (NPCs) I don't want and didn't make, and I really hate being forced to use those characters or even worse, being forced out of the character(s) I made to use some shmucks I don't like that are stuck to me. That's jRPG-style shit right there.

I mean seriously, what the fuck were they thinking towards the end of KOTOR2? Playing as Mira (solo) even though I'd never even spoken to her much and didn't give two shits about her? Playing as the damn Remote? What the hell, Obsidian....what the hell.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I agree with you, Edward. The way the KotOR games impose characters on you was really bad. It very much is jRPG-style shit.

And NWN2, having to keep Shandra in the party for a whole chapter? The hell?

It's a part of the "make games into movies" trend. It's less about player choice and more about what the developer wants to show you.

It's one thing to have the fixed characters like in BaK. It's another to play as your own character. But to swing both ways, in the same game, makes no sense whatsoever.

MetalCraze

Arcane
With TSLRP you also can kill Visas in multiple ways.
And kill all of your party members in the end of the game (though the last thing was restored pretty lame)

Lurkar

Scholar
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Wyrmlord said:
Dark Individual said:

I actually agree with him to a degree. The way KOTOR2 handled it was utter shit. I don't mind playing as a party that I created, because they're all my character by extension, and I usually like them all and have fun playing around with lots of different options. But I hate being forced to add characters (NPCs) I don't want and didn't make, and I really hate being forced to use those characters or even worse, being forced out of the character(s) I made to use some shmucks I don't like that are stuck to me. That's jRPG-style shit right there.

I mean seriously, what the fuck were they thinking towards the end of KOTOR2? Playing as Mira (solo) even though I'd never even spoken to her much and didn't give two shits about her? Playing as the damn Remote? What the hell, Obsidian....what the hell.

But that's *not* how the new expansion works. You don't make one guy and then drag along four of five douchebag NPCs. You make a party of four - think IWD - and then add two more if you so desire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom