Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima NUVIE: Ultima 6 in full screen!

Severian Silk

This game could be an AoD killer.

Nuvie Version 0.5

The Nuvie team are proud to announce the special 11th anniversary release of Nuvie, Version 0.5

There has been a huge number of changes and enhancements since our last release. 350 commits to the source code. A summary of the major points are listed below.

• Added the U6 end game sequence
  • Added in game menus where you can change lots of options without editing the cfg file.
  • Added custom paper doll art and custom actor tiles.
  • Added new game UI styles. (original+ and original+ full map.) video/game_style is used to choose what game style to use. fullscreen_map got changed to "new"style.
  • Added joystick (gamepad/controller) support which included major work done on making key bindings so that they are consistently configurable.
  • Added lots of new cheat commands and other key bindings including TOGGLE_FPS_DISPLAY, QUICK_SAVE, and QUICK_LOAD.
  • Added new container gumps, wooden sign gump, and a new CommandBar.
  • Added new message scroll, Daniel's new U6 celestial ribbon and original_style CommandBar for new style.

• Added U6 use telescope and use silver horn.
  • Added support for spawning mutant (two headed) actors and increase the number of temporary actors in Ultima 6 by 21
  • Started work on MD/SE music support
  • Added support for SE intro/menu/character creation sequences. (still needs a bit of work)
  • Added support for MD/SE portraits
  • Added support for lua script based usecode logic.
  • Fixed in-game font support for MD/SE, some issues with conversation scripts, and lots of other bug fixes.

. original 320x200 . . . . . . . original+ 320x200 . . . . . . . new 320x200. . . . . . . . . . . original+ 640x400. . . . . . . original+_full_map 640x400

There's a minor bug with the custom actor tiles where the character can appear to be in two places at once when sitting west. (Like Leodon when she is at the bar.) It doesn't seem to occur if the person is in your party, and it is a reloaded save.

I wrote the post many hours before Eric updated the website. That comment was not in the notes we discussed in irc, and I didn't notice it when glancing at the updated page.
Martian Dreams is the one he wants to focus on next. He finished a play through in DOSBox not long ago.

We had someone who said he was going to work on Savage Empire usecode (item code) but he never did any of it. He did do a lot of the SE menu and intro so we are thankful for that.

Congratulations on your release! Since you are going to concentrate on the WoU games I assume that support for U6 is already good enough for the nearer future. Are there any game stopping bugs or is there any content missing when playing U6 with Nuvie?

I recommend using Nuvie if you plan on playing Ultima 6. There's aren't many problems and some people might even like some issues. I tried updating the progress documentation and removed lots of crap but I had no way of testing how it looked. Unfortunately, the template I used was made to have multiple entries so the ones I had reduced to just say done are blank. It has some author wish lists and things done that bloat it. A smaller list with some things left out is below.

Mixed bag issues.
  • Fumaroles won't shoot steam and damage the party.
  • Egg (enemy spawners) seem to spawn more than the original.
  • Random monsters don't spawn when you rest.
  • The move command when in the inventory should prompt you for how many but it doesn't do that yet.
  • Using, moving, picking up, and dropping objects doesn't end the player's turn yet but does still subtract from their movement points.
Minor graphical and missing sfx issues
  • Lighting doesn't work for light sources that are off screen.
  • The vines of tangle vines can have the wrong frame.
  • Actors consisting of multiple tiles can have parts of their bodies clip through things which can allow them to overlap people. Its more of a graphical issue than a balance one.
  • Background sfx don't play but they sounded horrible.
  • Some sfx are missing from attacking and when targeting something with a spell at least with the pc sfx. The sfx weren't very good but added a tiny bit of variety. I'm not sure about FM Towns.
  • Musical instruments don't play notes when you press 0-9.
Miscellaneous issues
  • The locate spell doesn't give the right coordinates except in the human overworld.
  • The raft doesn't have as much give and can get stuck (unable to move against current not actually stuck). Rafts are horrible modes of transportation anyway.
Things I'm not sure if the original actually did any better.
  • Monster probably needs some improvements. Fireball spells are aimed regardless of how
    many allies are hit.
  • Npcs and monsters that aren't in the party don't avoid damaging terrain (at least in combat).

I'm going to list one major combat AI problem in the original game engine for U6, SE, and MD that I have never seen listed. If you don't command your party members, they will only use one weapon that is equipped. I think it will be the most damaging one but they probably will use a lesser damaging weapon if it has more range. This includes spiked helms and shields. So use a magic helm, a the best two handed weapon, or one handed weapon and a magic shield if you aren't controlling party members. Nuvie hasn't added a new AI mode that fixes this.

Last edited:
I recommend using Nuvie if you plan on playing Ultima 6. There's aren't many problems and some people might even like some issues.

Sounds great! The advantage of the new interface outweights the remaining issues by a lot.
I think you should also update the website. This introduction sounds more like alpha-status and/or vaporware than the project in it's current state deserves:

nuvie.sf.net said:
Nuvie is currently in the early stages of development. There are still many aspects of the original game engine that need to be figured out. If you have any info on the internal workings of the game engine or any of its data files please let us know.

Infinitron There's mention of it in the U6 progress documentation. I don't have the technical skills to do a good implementation of it, and I'm sure Eric considers it a low priority. I remember Eric saying that getting the PC sfx data is a pain. Unfortunately, Eric is going to have to do most Martian Dreams and Savage Empire usecode and cutscenes. He also needs to look up lots of original data embeded in the exe.

U6 progress said:
We could rip the best sfx from the various U6 versions (including FM-TOWNS, SNES, and C64?) to create
a Nuvie soundpack.

Marquis de Lirium You're right. I haven't looked at it since I started and the description fit back then. I'll see what Eric wants to change it to.

I think we might have a bug fix update Nuvie 0.5.1 (or something) March 27th or later. The new sprites should get put in that.

• Fixed crash when loading save with multi-tile actor at pos (0,0)
  • Fix crash on initial save game load cause by player being uninitialized when the party has a light source. (This occurred only when hack move was enabled)
  • Don't show damage or play sfx for actors taking poison damage when they aren't on screen.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://ultimacodex.com/2014/04/nuvie-progress-on-martian-dreams-support/

Nuvie: Progress on Martian Dreams Support
Kenneth Kully April 30, 2014 Ultima Fan Projects

If you’ve been following the Nuvie changelog at all, you may have noticed these recent changes listed therein:

* Added sprite_move_to_front() lua function to bring a sprite to the front of the display stack.
* Added fireworks to the origin fx intro sequence.
* Started on the MD intro sequence.
* Added new intro_common.lua script for common cutscene functions.
* Added MD font to the cutscene class.

These are, admittedly, small steps; it will likely be some time before Martian Dreams is fully playable in Nuvie. But Eric and his team have now embarked upon the path to supporting it.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'll be sure to try this stuff if it comes out. I have not played MD/Savage Empire before, though. I understood they were not SO good games; but it would not surprise me if they anyway were better than the stuff that comes out nowadays.

I played the U6 on Dungeon Siege so recently that I have not tried the Nuvie version out, but please keep posting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll be sure to try this stuff if it comes out. I have not played MD/Savage Empire before, though. I understood they were not SO good games; but it would not surprise me if they anyway were better than the stuff that comes out nowadays.

Understood from who? CRPGAddict?

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Understood from who? CRPGAddict?

No, it's like 5 years ago I read something about them and really do not remember where. Could have been at Codex as well.

edit: they were compared to the other games in the Ultima series.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://ultimacodex.com/2014/05/nuvie-work-on-savage-empire-and-martian-dreams-support-continues/

Nuvie: Work on Savage Empire and Martian Dreams Support Continues
Kenneth Kully May 14, 2014 Ultima Fan Projects

There is, as per usual, no news on the Nuvie website itself to tell of the most recent developments Eric and the team have made with the engine. Fortunately, the project changelog— which has been updated a few times over the last several days — has several exciting things to report:

2014-05-11 Eric Fry r1943
* Added MD main menu
* Added SOS flash to MD intro sequence

2014-05-09 Eric Fry r1942
* Fixed sprite clipping on the “Abount The Savage Empire” menu item
* Fixed fade logic on about SE menu item.
* Fade out when quitting from SE start menu.

2014-05-06 Eric Fry r1941
* Added music_stop() script function
* Added lzc file support to the image_load() script function
* More work on MD intro sequence​

What’s interesting here is that it demonstrates that support for both Savage Empire and Martian Dreams is being worked on. Support for both is at a very early stage, of course, and it will still be some time before either is playable to completion in the engine.

But the wait will be worth it; who wouldn’t be excited by the prospect of playing either game sans interface?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://ultimacodex.com/2014/05/nuvie-martian-dreams-introduction-lab-sequence-progress/

Nuvie: Martian Dreams Introduction, Lab Sequence Progress
Kenneth Kully May 22, 2014 Ultima Fan Projects

If you follow the Nuvie changelog, you’ll have noticed that over the last few days, Eric and his team have logged several bits of progress concerning getting Martian Dreams working in the engine:

2014-05-21 Eric Fry r1945
* Work on present day lab sequence for MD.

2014-05-18 Eric Fry r1944
* Added text_load() script function to load MD intro text
* Added sprite.text_align_centre boolean to allow for centred / wrapped
text in the MD intros
* Tightened up the timings on the first MD intro sequence.
* Started work on the MD “Run Introduction” sequence.
* Added Font::getCharHeight() method.

Here’s hoping that in the not-too-distant future, we’ll all get the chance to play through, at minimum, the opening sequence of the game using all the awesome updates that Nuvie brings to its engine.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://ultimacodex.com/2014/07/nuvie-lots-more-work-on-martian-dreams-support/

Nuvie: Lots More Work on Martian Dreams Support
Kenneth Kully July 14, 2014 Ultima Fan Projects

Eric Fry has been hard at work on Nuvie over the last couple of weeks, as evidenced by the number of updates he has made to the project’s changelog:
2014-07-09 Eric Fry r1954
* More work on MD end sequence.
* Moved about_martian_dreams() function into common code so it can be
called from both intro and ending logic sequences.

2014-07-08 Eric Fry r1953
* Started work on MD end sequence.
* Tweaked timings for MD ‘Run Introduction’ sequence
* Added more actor stats to MD create player.

2014-06-28 Eric Fry r1952
* Added patch from Yorick Hardy. This removes the use of modulo random
logic from FadeEffect::pixelated_fade_core() this should give better
randomness on systems with a bad rand() implmentation.
* Hide console when transitioning from main menu to game window.
* Removed console error from NuvieFileList.
* Added ConsoleAddWarning() this prints to the console but doesn’t force
the console to be displayed if it is hidden.

2014-06-25 Eric Fry r1951
* Added About Martian Dreams ‘Credits’ sequence.
* Fixed bug in text_load() script function.
* Added sub index to image_load() script function.
* Trim whitespace from player name in MD character creation sequence.
* Tweaked Freud logic to have him write more often.

2014-06-24 Eric Fry r1950
* Added writing and blinking animation to character creation sequence.

2014-06-18 Eric Fry r1949
* Added player name input logic the to MD character creation sequence.
* Added new sprite.text_width getter method. This returns the width
of the sprite’s text field in pixels.

2014-06-16 Eric Fry r1948
* Work on MD character creation logic.

There’s a fair bit to ferret out of these updates, and most of it pertains to adding support forMartian Dreams to the engine. The character creation sequence is being worked on, the credits sequence has been added, and the endgame sequence is the current focus of Eric’s attentions. As well, he has been making a number of “behind the scenes” changes to the engine, and a patch has even been introduced to correct its handling of random numbers.

It’s great progress. Now if only he would post a couple new screenshots of the working parts ofMartian Dreams running in Nuvie; the image above is quite dated, and likely doesn’t represent the current appearance of the game in the engine.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://ultimacodex.com/2014/07/nuvie-new-batch-of-martian-dreams-screenshots/
Nuvie: New Batch of Martian Dreams Screenshots
Kenneth Kully July 15, 2014 Ultima Fan Projects

nuvie-md1.png
nuvie-md2.png
nuvie-md3.png
nuvie-md4.png
nuvie-md5.png
nuvie-md6.png

nuvie-md7.png

In response to my comment at the end of yesterday’s Nuvie-related news, Eric Fry sent along a few screenshots demonstrating the engine’s current support for Martian Dreams.

As you can see, things are progressing quite well indeed. Some Nuvie-specific features, such as the interface-free gameplay view and the Ultima 7-style conversation interface (with the pixelated dithering that I still find so aesthetically pleasing), are also supported. Which, I suppose, you’d expect them to be, but it’s still nice to see confirmation of that even at this relatively early stage.

Luzur

Good Sir
but, wouldnt the enemies seem to pop out of thin air now, since they where spawning just outside the screen normally?

Luzur , there is some popup of monsters at 640x400 with new style which is more than 2 times as high and 3 times as wide as the original view area. It wasn't too bad. I think it was mostly in Britain with the cows, caged rabbit, and guards in towers. I played it at 640x512x2 (1280x1024 monitor) resolution with mostly original+ (for a more square map) when I did my last playthrough, and it didn't really bother me. You can try closer to 320x200 and upscale so that there would likely be no popup.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom