Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima NUVIE: Ultima 6 in full screen!

A quick comment from Eric about scaling up just the buttons on the command bar is that it might be tricky. There are buttons in the rest of UI that are the same size as well and the whole UI can't be upscaled independently. You'll probably want to use scaling with higher resolutions anyway, because the actor spawn/despawn distance has to be relatively small and to be able to see other things more easily. I'm really limited in what I am able to program.

Edit: Also, lower resolutions don't have room to upscale buttons so position will matter more.

Last edited:
HiPhish recommends the names be borderless and full map. He says borderless because it is basically original just without the useless border. I am wondering everyone's opinions on what to name it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
HiPhish recommends the names be borderless and full map. He says borderless because it is basically original just without the useless border. I am wondering everyone's opinions on what to name it.

lol, this isn't very important

"Borderless" and "fullscreen map" are okay, but if you ask me, there shouldn't even be an option NOT to have a fullscreen map. That black area underneath the UI is hideous.

The original+ setting that has the black background is at least needed for heights of around 200 where the map can't be displayed or it will only be a few pixels tall. The full map version messes with the centering and draws the map underneath the UI so it is best not to use it if there isn't any or much extra map space. The black background is also okay for when the command bar just barely fits underneath it. Unfortunately, I'm still not sure that I can get the background around the UI to show in the full map version.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Great job Malignant Manor !

Scaling specific parts of the UI when you deal with multiple resolutions is extremely tricky, the best idea probably would be to create one scaled UI (the whole thing) for use in big resolutions.

That's a lot more effort than is wanted and more than I can handle. HiPhish recommended making the main UI a collapsible gump which would be nice, but I would also have to convert a bunch of UI files and make the keyboard controls work with it like the original. Not to mention actually making the gumps themselves work as intended. The two new modes are mostly clean hacks onto the original style so easily maintained and not too many code changes.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hey Malignant Manor can this play pre-recoded music, similar to how the music works in Exult? As in, if someone did a recording of the original music, with an actual Roland MT-32, the players could also hear that music when playing?

We don't currently have that capability but Eric says, "That would be nice. (It's) probably not a high priority at the moment though, for me at least."

AureliusMMXII

Educated
For me, these new standalone engines for old games are the sweetest of the nectar of fan-made content. ScummVM and Exult were a revelation back when they were released. Much as I enjoy Lazarus it is more of a reinterpretation. A grand homage.

There is something fulfilling about taking decades old code and running it through a new engine with enhancements and bells and whistles; like witnessing the restoration of an old painting.

It is fantastic to see projects like OpenMW and now Nuvie thriving :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Paperdolls! http://ultimacodex.com/2014/01/nuvie-new-inventory-paperdolls-for-companions/

The Artisan’s Guild of Minoc proudly humbly presents its newest addition to the Avatar & Companions dress-up dolls* series, the “Heros of the Gargoyle War” edition. Get an authentic piece of Britannian history with such legends as the ranger Shamino or the lovely couple Iolo and Gwenno, and of course everyone’s favourite Sherry the Mouse. What are you waiting for, collect all the companions and relive fantastic adventures of the Gargoyle Wars yourself, but don’t forget to get the best equipment for them*. And stay tuned for our next announcement of the new Avatar & Companions sprite action figures!

To celebrate the launch of our new series we are holding a very special challenge. Are you a real expert on Britannian history? Then name each of the companions in this picture and enter our draw for a chance to win your own complete set of Avatar & Companions dress-up dolls.

*equipment sold separately

nuvie-paperdolls-gumps.jpg

I finally have SE and MD setup for the original+ modes and fixed some problems I had getting things to work properly. The code made it into the repository so when the snapshots get updated, anyone can easily try it out. I'll have to take new screenshots that aren't modified.

HiPhish has did a lot of the companion sprites but Nuvie hasn't added the ability to display them yet, but it should be able to display them by the next release. You can follow updates in the forum thread.

2poc6.png

I just finished my playthrough of Ultima 6 (to make sure things still work and find things to fix). Eric says he is close to being done on the custom sprite code. After that's done and HiPhish finished the companion sprites awhile back, and Daniel made Avatar sprites.
  • I added joystick (controller) support, and it can be used to play from intro to ending.
  • I allowed menus to be used with keyboards and joysticks.
  • I made it easier to use up and down (walk_north and walk_south) keys to select letters and numbers by restricting characters that we know can't be used.
  • All new gumps now support keyboard and joystick controls (still no tab support and only the check mark on the container gumps can be accessed)
  • I added slightly modified version of all custom dolls so that they look better when not used in new style.
  • I added U6 specific free_balloon_movement cfg setting that allows you to move the balloon in whatever direction you want as long as someone in the party has a magic fan. this is also in the input menu.
  • I added the original style command bar to new style and added several cfg options for it.
  • I limited spell range to 7 (the whole screen in the original) to keep balance.
  • All styles except original can change the size of the converse gump through game specific converse_width and converse_height cfg settings.
  • +, -, home, end, page up, page down, and the mouse wheel got more uses.
  • I got rid of most hard coded keys in favor of custom keybindings. When you need to type alphanumeric characters all keybindings that are alphanumeric will be ignored and so will (usually) backspace. Some keybindings now work in cutscenes and intro menu. (walk_east, walk_west, walk_north, walk_south, cancel_action, and do_action). Keybindings that pretty much always work are toggle_audio, toggle_music_key, toggle_fps, toggle_sfx_key, toggle_fullscreen, decrease_debug, increase_debug, quit, and quit_no_dialog. Those bindings are also available in cutscenes and the intro menu. The toggle_fps and quit keys don't work in the intro and intro menu. Quit keys also doesn't work during the ending.
  • There are numerous bug fixes and other improvements not mentioned.
A made a thread for people getting started with Nuvie. It also explains how to get the latest documentation that does a better job of explaining key bindings for joysticks and keyboards plus has up to date cfg settings. I hope to get Eric to put SVN documentation on the site too so it is easy to access,

2hfpgec.jpg

k0mxwo.png

I can't tell you how excited I am about this. U6 is probably the one title of the series that could benefit the most from an engine remake and you're doing a great job to realize the true potential of this game. Thank you!

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey, I always wondered about this- Does Nuvie allow for reconfiguring the music files?

In normal U6, It always bothered me how in the overworld you'd keep getting random music files to play, sometime switching right after talking to someone. It was really annoying!

RyuRanX

Novice
Fantastic work you did there. How do I upscale the sprites into a 1920x1080 window? I tried messing with the cfg. settings, but everything is still looking tiny.

Fantastic work you did there. How do I upscale the sprites into a 1920x1080 window? I tried messing with the cfg. settings, but everything is still looking tiny.

You'll want to use a game style other than original. new can be replaced with original+ or original+_full_map. Make sure you are using the snapshot and not the 0.4 release.

Code:
  <game_style>new</game_style>
  <screen_width>480</screen_width>
  <screen_height>270</screen_height>
  <game_width>480</game_width>
  <game_height>270</game_height>
  <scale_factor>4</scale_factor>
  <fullscreen>no</fullscreen>

or for more game area

Code:
  <game_style>new</game_style>
  <screen_width>640</screen_width>
  <screen_height>360</screen_height>
  <game_width>640</game_width>
  <game_height>360</game_height>
  <scale_factor>3</scale_factor>
  <fullscreen>no</fullscreen>

Right now Nuvie acts like the original engine except we will no longer default to stopping music during conversations. I know that bugged me, but I never did anything about it. I've added some new settings to change some of the behavior. There's a way to load custom songs but I don't know how the heck it is supposed to work or if it was properly implemented. My changes haven't been tested when using FM Towns audio either. The changes won't be available until the snapshots get updated.

cfg setting, default value

audio/combat_changes_music, yes
audio/vehicles_changes_music, yes
audio/conversations_stop_music, no
/audio/stop_music_on_group_change, yes // keeps playing current song until it ends and then plays currently available group -- this includes vehicle and combat music too

Ultima 6 will change music if it is in a different group. It stops music when a conversation starts (probably originally due to memory, cpu, or disk swapping). Level 1 plays random. Levels 2-4 play dungeon. Level 5 plays gargoyle. Entering a vehicle will play boat. Entering combat plays combat.

file, title, group

brit.m, Rule Britannia, random
forest.m, Wanderer (Forest), random
stones.m, Stones, random
ultima.m, Ultima VI Theme, random

engage.m, Engagement and Melee - combat

hornpipe.m, Captain Johne's Hornpipe, boat

gargoyle.m, Audchar Gargl Zenmur, gargoyle

dungeon.m, Dungeon, dungeon

Eric is fixing up more sprites. Besides that, we need to do some testing and some usual release related things. So there should be a release within a week or so.
  • Eric coded the new sprites and some have been added to the game.
  • I forgot to list the map tile lighting option before. It basically has lava tiles light up the area like it seemed the original engine wanted to do but never implemented.
  • I've added some recent cfg options to the menus.
  • audio/vehicles_changes_music got changed to audio/vehicles_change_music

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://ultimacodex.com/2014/02/nuvie-more-custom-ultima-6-companion-paperdolls-added/

If you follow the Nuvie changelog, you’ll doubtless have taken note of the fact that over the last few days, several more of the Ultima 6 companions have received custom gump graphics. Eric Fry and Malignant Manor have been adding HiPhish’s companion-specific paperdolls to Nuviein a piecemeal fashion; Gwenno, Seggallion, Julia, Katrina, Jaana, Sentri, Leodon, Leonna, Gorn, and Blaine have all had custom paperdolls added in recent days.

As well, the death frames for Dupre and Sherry received some tweaking and correction in these same updates. In fact, according to the changelog, the companions are all basically done now, apart from the music-playing animations for Iolo, Gwenno, and Leodon.

Great progress as always from this team, in other words.

As HiPhish mentions in the comments, the paper dolls had been done. It is the actor sprites that were added.

Eric mentioned that the 11th anniversary is March 14, 2014, and he is thinking about having the release then. The music playing sprites will take awhile for HiPhish to do anyway. I've bugged Eric again about getting fumaroles and volcanoes working. Ultima 6 is basically finished except for some minor things.

Eric said:
Here's my first post about the possibility of creating the Nuvie project. In the Exult logs.

exult@irc.freenode.net - February 23, 2003

[11:46:20] <Yuv422> The forum has got me interested in a U6 port again ;)
[11:47:55] <Yuv422> I might see if I can get U6 running on the mac using bochs
[11:50:16] <Yuv422> maybe if I make a U6 map editor for linux people will turn it into a fully functional game engine! ;)
[11:52:35] <wjp> :)
[11:53:19] <Darke> It's not like *that* will ever happen!

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been itching to play U6 again! The U6P was OK but just didn't capture me like U5: Lazarus did and I never finished it. Looking forward to giving this a go!! :thumbsup:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Holy shit, if they finish making this then I am going to be playing U6 again

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://ultimacodex.com/2014/03/nuvie-iolo-plays-music-now-also-custom-companion-sprites/

Nuvie: Iolo Plays Music Now (Also: Custom Companion Sprites)

Iolo plays a tune

A recent update to the Nuvie changelog reveals that still yet more graphics from HiPhish have been added to the source and builds of the engine:

Add Iolo’s musician playing frames by HiPhish

As well, I should make a correction regarding the last piece of Nuvie-related news that I posted. It wasn’t companion paperdolls that were added to Nuvie recently, as HiPhish himself pointed out. What was actually added were custom graphics for the companions themselves. No longer are Iolo and Gwenno just generic-looking bards! No longer is Sentri just one more generic knight!

This update to Nuvie corrects the one lingering issue with Iolo that HiPhish’s companion sprites previously had not addressed: the “lute playing” animations of the bard characters. Previously, Iolo defaulted to the original “bard playing a lute” animation; with the addition of the frames mentioned in the changelog above, he now has his own animation frames that preserve his new look.

Presumably, we’ll see similar frames for Gwenno and Leodon in the near future.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://ultimacodex.com/2014/03/nuvi...ted-gwenno-and-leodon-animation-frames-added/

Nuvie: Custom Avatar Tiles Now Supported; Gwenno and Leodon Animation Frames Added
Kenneth Kully March 8, 2014 Ultima Fan Projects

If you’ve been following the Nuvie changelog, you’ll hopefully have taken note of these recent line items:

* Added support for custom avatar tiles.
* Added Daniel’s custom avatar tileset for male portrait 10.

So that’s kind of a big deal. Prior to this, even in Nuvie, the Avatar would be represented by the default tiles for the character:

This guy.

Now, different tiles can be used to represent the Avatar based on the portrait for him, or her, selected by the user during the character creation process. Currently, it would seem that there’s only one alternate set of tiles available:

Which I think map to this portrait:

Still, this paves the way for further such additions in the future, which is very cool indeed.

And that is not all! Oh, no, that is not all! There were a few other tidbits to be found in the changelog:

Add Gwenno’s musician playing frames by HiPhish.

* Add Leodon’s musician playing frames by HiPhish.
* Add outline fixes for Gwenno, Leodon, Leonna, and Jaana by HiPhish.​

I think that this brings to completion HiPhish’s efforts to create custom tiles for each of the companions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom