Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Numenera vs Pillars - battle of the modern isometric titans

Numenera vs Pillars - battle of the modern isometric titans

• Total voters

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
1494789461796.gif

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Pillars was good, it doesn't deserve all the edgy codex hate that it regularly receives. Torment was, unfortunately, utterly boring. It lacked the focus of PS:T, and misunderstood what made it popular. PS:T wasn't great because it had reams of writing that clocked in at a million words. It was good in spite of that, mostly because the story was well-written even though it needed the careful attention of an editor.

Also, there was just something about the art style in those old IE games that nobody has managed to successfully recreate. It feels like the worlds were pulled directly from DnD modules, and that makes up for a lot.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I didn't play Torment much to judge it. It had some interesting writing in the beginning, so maybe it's not so hopeless. But I don't really know. Pillars was more 'professional', it was made by a larger team and is more polished by now. Overall, it was a good game, on Icewind Dale level. But not new BG for sure. I think you can say the same about Torment: Tides of Numenera - it tries to be Planescape: Torment, but fails. But it doesn't mean it is a bad game and not worth playing at all.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I get it. It's a trick question!
They are both shit.

If you need the perspective DOS is obviously the right choice. Hell even the Shadowrun tablet games are better, but it doesn't matter since you can play Grimoire now :incline:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't have a favorite. Both are pretty lukewarm and with a cast of reasons why not to pull them high up with the pioneers (and why I've not finished either yet), but I do not think they're shit either. I've plaeyd enough bad games in my time to make the difference (for myself).

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't have a favorite. Both are pretty lukewarm and with a cast of reasons why not to pull them high up with the pioneers (and why I've not finished either yet), but I do not think they're shit either. I've plaeyd enough bad games in my time to make the difference (for myself).

But even then, why put them above DOS, Wasteland 2 or even the Shadowrun games. All of these options are vastly superior games with a similar style and kickstarter origins. Makes no sense to me except maybe to bait...

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
D:OS was a pretty severe letdown. Is everyone referring to the director's cut or whatever that came after? Because what I remember was poor English, unfunny, weirdo Scandinavian humor, and a combat system that kind of petered out.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
D:OS was a pretty severe letdown. Is everyone referring to the director's cut or whatever that came after? Because what I remember was poor English, unfunny, weirdo Scandinavian humor, and a combat system that kind of petered out.

Can't really remember the differences to the Director's Cut, but I primarily played the original. Sure it wasn't perfect but calling DOS a letdown in comparison to the two most overhyped kickstarter disasters seems a bit of a stretch. Coming from Divine Divinity was DOS really a step backwards in your eyes? And what would you call Numanuma coming from Planescape or POE coming from Baldur's Gate? Those weren't disappointing?

I agree that the combat system ran out of steam after half the game, but at least it had any to begin with.

Also Larian are Dutch not Scandinavian. I like their humor but it would have been even more hilarious if there had been a dutch language option. Dutch is the funniest shit.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
I was actually incredibly bored with PoE. Maybe that got better in the later game but getting a background story everytime you expect a dialogue in the beginning was extremely annoying.
It's like scattering a bunch of lore dumps throughout a village and calling it a day. I haven't played Numenera yet (and haven't voted btw), but if it doesn't pull off shit like that it's gonna be alright in my book (writing-wise at least).

The "loredump" characters are designed by backers... and as with anything backer-designed, they are shitty. Just ignore anyone with gold nameplate and the game suddenly gets better.

So glad I waited until PoE and TToN were done receiving patches and expansions before I could start playing them, they're surely masterpieces by now.
:prosper:

Played half of original and am now about to finish the enhanced edition, they cleaned up the dialogs a bit but it's still mostly a game you play for the joy of setting a puddle of ooze on fire, solving riddles and teleporting your buddy into the middle of a pack of higher level enemies while you flee combat. Wouldn't have played it solo although d: os2 is looking a lot more interesting.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It was ok game,last month i tried to replayed it but got bored fast.Still better than wasteland 2!

Iznaliu

Arbiter

This is what we call a bandwagon, people.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014

This is what we call a bandwagon, people.

Who is it you imagine you are talking to?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played half of original and am now about to finish the enhanced edition, they cleaned up the dialogs a bit but it's still mostly a game you play for the joy of setting a poodle of ooze on fire, solving riddles and teleporting your buddy into the middle of a pack of higher level enemies while you flee combat. Wouldn't have played it solo although d: os2 is looking a lot more interesting.

Yes, D:OS is a game that you play for the gameplay because it has fun gameplay, no matter how crappy the story and writing are.

It does many things wrong but at least it's a good game. And I'd rather have a game where I look forward to the next combat encounter rather than one where I dread it.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
If you want garbage, you should play Wasteland 2, Tides of Numenera, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun: Dragonfall and The Witcher 3.

If you want great games, you should play Age of Decadence, Underrail, Grimoire, Dungeon Rats, NEO Scavenger, and Battle Brothers.

If you want good games, you should play Serpents in the Staglands and The Banner Saga. I only heard good things about Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2, but I did not play them yet.

The so-called cRPG renascence is funny because for some strange reason, people think that cRPG classics started in the 90s, must be isometric and need dialogue trees. Things such as the importance of engrossing mechanics, robust resource management and sophisticated tactics are either ignored or receive mere lip service. The Kickstarter renascence should be called the new era of isometric iPhone hipster games.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Pillar is a common euphemism for the human male penis, so I much prefer "Cocks of Forever" to "Numa Numa eh".
:mhd:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If you want garbage, you should play Wasteland 2, Tides of Numenera, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun: Dragonfall and The Witcher 3.

If you want great games, you should play Age of Decadence, Underrail, Grimoire, Dungeon Rats, NEO Scavenger, and Battle Brothers.

If you want good games, you should play Serpents in the Staglands and The Banner Saga. I only heard good things about Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2, but I did not play them yet.

The so-called cRPG renascence is funny because for some strange reason, people think that cRPG classics started in the 90s, must be isometric and need dialogue trees. Things such as the importance of engrossing mechanics, robust resource management and sophisticated tactics are either ignored or receive mere lip service. The Kickstarter renascence should be called the new era of isometric iPhone hipster games.
You need to buy a better taste in games mate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom