Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Numenera: Monte Cook's new 'Space Fantasy' rpg.

Alchemist

Arcane
The controversy over the Nibovian Wives, I'm not saying anything about the game itself being of a particular bent either way, I was merely commenting on all these banal arguments over 'sexism' and misogyny because of this one monster is all. But anyway.

I was fairly excited about Numenera, cRPG and pnpRPG, the far future setting is one that is very interesting, I'm a sucker for Gene Wolfe and his Books of the Sun(s) and Severian so this seems to appeal, the setting at the very least, in some ways to me so I'm intending on getting a hold of it.
Ok I see what you mean - and I agree the debate is uninteresting and kind of pointless. No reflection on the book itself of course - just bored people on the internet. I'm still puzzled why HHR mentioned Biowarian activism.

Anyway, setting-wise Numenera is amazing, I can confirm that for sure. Supposedly Gene Wolfe's New Sun is a big influence on this so in that area I don't think you'll be disappointed. And there is a lot more to the mechanics than that review lets on.

Repressed Homosexual
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?697888-Numenera-W-T-F-Monte!&p=17052380#post17052380

Monte and I are very aware of the current sexism/gender/sexuality issues in the gaming industry. We tried to carefully think through every element of the game in that regard. It was very important to us to create a world that didn't ignore sex, gender or sexual orientation -- anyone who's familiar with my past work knows this about me already, and Monte and I had a lot of conversations about how to include these topics in a real way even in an unreal world. In the Ninth World, sexuality and gender are both celebrated and used for nefarious purposes, just like in today's world. Anyone looking through the art and setting material will find a wide range of genders, and sexualities represented and embraced.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'm WoD player, so I tend to like less rules heavy and 'abstract systems' whatever the fuck that means...
Does not compute

WoD is p. rules heavy. The fiddly resolution system (Variable difficulty! Variable dice pools! Variable degrees of successes! Variable types of tests!) is enough to give pnp hipsters a nightmare

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?697888-Numenera-W-T-F-Monte!&p=17052380#post17052380

Monte and I are very aware of the current sexism/gender/sexuality issues in the gaming industry. We tried to carefully think through every element of the game in that regard. It was very important to us to create a world that didn't ignore sex, gender or sexual orientation -- anyone who's familiar with my past work knows this about me already, and Monte and I had a lot of conversations about how to include these topics in a real way even in an unreal world. In the Ninth World, sexuality and gender are both celebrated and used for nefarious purposes, just like in today's world. Anyone looking through the art and setting material will find a wide range of genders, and sexualities represented and embraced.
I think you're misinterpreting her response. She's in PR mode there trying to calm down the flames. All it says to me is that they took a balanced approach, which I can see when I look at the book. Conversely, Bioware's approach isn't balanced - they go out of their way to say "OMG we're so edgy and progressive because we have same-sex cross-species romance!".

Alchemist

Arcane
But Monte Cook really is a SJW
Perhaps he is in his personal life, I don't know and frankly don't care. But there's nothing political about Numenera. It's a science-fantasy game about adventuring and exploring in the weird, dangerous world of the far future.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
He is in his professional life too. Don't you know the story with the 3e D&D iconic characters?

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual

I think you're misinterpreting her response. She's in PR mode there trying to calm down the flames. All it says to me is that they took a balanced approach, which I can see when I look at the book. Conversely, Bioware's approach isn't balanced - they go out of their way to say "OMG we're so edgy and progressive because we have same-sex cross-species romance!".

Making it part of the lore is going too far, instead of just letting particular DMs create it themselves if they so desire.

Alchemist

Arcane
He is in his professional live too. Don't you know the story with the 3e D&D iconic characters?
I guess I don't know the story, no. I probably don't care - but I'm curious.. what was it?
http://montecook.livejournal.com/150303.html
All I see there is he promoted a balanced approach - just as he has done with Numenera. Not sure what the big deal is - he isn't heavy-handed about it. Stuff like this doesn't change the quality of the game and DMs are free to put whatever spin they want on things.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Dunno how balanced it is when they didn't want any of the characters to be white. So much for being "multi-ethnic".

Typical of self-loathing white people to even care about such things

Alchemist

Arcane
Dunno how balanced it is when they didn't want any of the characters to be white. So much for being "multi-ethnic".

Typical of self-loathing white people to even care about such things
It seemed to me (in that LJ post about D&D) he mainly just didn't want the central default fighter to be white. I don't think he was saying that no characters should be white. But I'm not going to debate this much more - I respect that he follows his own vision of what he wants. My vision would probably be a bit different, and that's fine. I can put my own spin on Numenera if I want to (and probably will).

I think people get caught up in over-analyzing things like this and lose sight of the game. I mainly judge Numenera at face value - it looks like it will be a damn fun game to play and a very interesting world to explore and develop as a DM.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The fact that they give importance to those things bother me. I dislike this pandering crap.

I still dislike the design philosophy and overall rules of the game more so I don't really lose sight of it, that sort of SJW stuff is just the cherry on top of the cake of hate

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
So, I got the pdf. Thus far I haven't had time to read much, but I did read the character generation bit (typically my fave part in any rpg). I have to say, I am disappointed. I LOVE the rules light feel of the game, but I had hoped it would not mean skimping out on character options, but sadly it does. Majorly.

The biggest victim is the Nano, the mage class. It has absolutely shit options at each tier (level). Basically, each level it gets esoteries (aka spells) and they are not only way too few, but they are completely uninspiring.

Focuses and Descriptors offer more options and are more interesting, but again they only add a bit more options to your character. The main options are the powers/esoteries etc your PC gets at each level, and the Nano and the Jack both kinda get shafted. The Glaive (warrior) gets warrior type skills each tier, and they are somewhat better (but boring and uninspired). A pity.

More effort/imagination has been put into special items (aka magic items) which are basically high technology/wondrous type items. I wish a similar amount had been put into PC powers/abilities at each Tier.

As it is I do not see myself running this game, or heck even playing. If I do play it will likely be as a Glaive, with the Howling at the Moon Focus, as that does seem like a flavorful badass type of character. And likely never again after that character. I will also not be purchasing any of the supplements.

So, I got the pdf. Thus far I haven't had time to read much, but I did read the character generation bit (typically my fave part in any rpg). I have to say, I am disappointed. I LOVE the rules light feel of the game, but I had hoped it would not mean skimping out on character options, but sadly it does. Majorly.

The biggest victim is the Nano, the mage class. It has absolutely shit options at each tier (level). Basically, each level it gets esoteries (aka spells) and they are not only way too few, but they are completely uninspiring.

Focuses and Descriptors offer more options and are more interesting, but again they only add a bit more options to your character. The main options are the powers/esoteries etc your PC gets at each level, and the Nano and the Jack both kinda get shafted. The Glaive (warrior) gets warrior type skills each tier, and they are somewhat better (but boring and uninspired). A pity.

More effort/imagination has been put into special items (aka magic items) which are basically high technology/wondrous type items. I wish a similar amount had been put into PC powers/abilities at each Tier.

As it is I do not see myself running this game, or heck even playing. If I do play it will likely be as a Glaive, with the Howling at the Moon Focus, as that does seem like a flavorful badass type of character. And likely never again after that character. I will also not be purchasing any of the supplements.
I told you so, my paki aryan :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

According to Monte Cook, the "special items" are in fact a core element of the system. It relies on them - they are not optional goodies.

Brother Willi · August 12, 2013 at 7:52 pm · Reply
This is an elegant way of stating the distinction. I’m a big proponent of the 3.x/Pathfinder system. I think it has plenty of “play,” if you look for it, but it’s not always front and center. In reading the Numenera materials released thus far, I’m really pleased by the elegance of the central mechanic for resolving challenges – whether they be terrain, social, or combat.

The epiphany for me was realizing that the Cypher system is one of the core rules. They’re not “magic items” used to buff the PC’s, they’re key player abilities designed to encourage off-the-wall solutions and be replenished. It’s something that may take time to impart to my players, who are used to saving one-shot items for the big baddie. But I think it’s a great way to encourage “play.”

Monte Cook · August 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm · Reply
Yes, that’s it exactly.

The goal is to deemphasize character building as much as possible.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Game stinks. Monte ruined DnD twice and swindled everyone out of half a million for this half-assed brain child. Numenera will probably sink Fargo and company as well. Monty has even gone so far as to blame all this on his dead dad. What a piece of shit. I'm sure there is a sunnier way to look at this, but sadly I now have to place Cook on the short list of fuckers who killed the things I love and fucked me up the ass. Such a shame, as before this very moment, I actually liked the guy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game stinks. Monte ruined DnD twice and swindled everyone out of half a million for this half-assed brain child. Numenera will probably sink Fargo and company as well. Monty has even gone so far as to blame all this on his dead dad. What a piece of shit. I'm sure there is a sunnier way to look at this, but sadly I now have to place Cook on the short list of fuckers who killed the things I love and fucked me up the ass. Such a shame, as before this very moment, I actually liked the guy.

10184.jpg

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

10184.jpg
images

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

10184.jpg

drnk.jpg

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anyone know when Kickstarter backers should be getting their physical Numenera books? Would @Brother None know...?
They started shipping out all backer orders (Torment and Numenera) this week, on Monday. There's a lot to process so no real telling when each individual order goes out, so best I can say is "give it some time". I believe domestic orders are starting to arrive, though international will naturally take a longer time.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone know when Kickstarter backers should be getting their physical Numenera books? Would @Brother None know...?
They started shipping out all backer orders (Torment and Numenera) this week, on Monday. There's a lot to process so no real telling when each individual order goes out, so best I can say is "give it some time". I believe domestic orders are starting to arrive, though international will naturally take a longer time.

Good thing I'm :patriot:. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom