Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Numenera is CODEX TOP 1 game of all times.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Far too early to say if it will even be the best RPG of 2017 - let alone of all time. Last year Obsidian announced Tyranny out of the blue, and then released it that same year. 2017 is still young, and there may be surprises you can't even begin to imagine that will come leaping at you from out of the woodwork.

As for Torment, yes it is a very good game. The best game? Well, that's a bit subjective, isn't it? I feel your opinion may be biased by what I call "New Game Hype Syndrome". Let's just wait until the honeymoon period is over and see how you feel about Torment after your N.G.H.S wears off, mmkay?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
First. Numenera is a spiritual bastard-child of Planescape: Torment - the best game of all times, according to codex polls, social studies, lab experiments and all that jazz.

Second. PS:T drew some ideas from JRPG's of it's time (spell animations/movies, arguably - companion presentation). I've met with this opinion often, lurking on the codex. I kinda agree with it. (i think there even was some interview which highlighted this)

Third. Codex consensus seems to be that: If we take two similar RPG's, but one of them is an JRPG, then the non-jrpg game is less shit. In other words, western RPG's are less shit than JRPG's by default.

Conclusion:
Numenera is less shit than Planescape:Torment.
Numenera is a better game than PS:T.
Numenera is Codex TOP 1 game of all times.

You can't argue with this logic.

latest

Numenera has a loli companion and a tentacle monster chasing you.
Therefore Numenera is more jrpgish than Planescape.
Therefore Numenera is a worse game.

Checkmate you phony fuck.

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Codex consensus seems to be that:
Codex consensus doesn't exist. Just look at the difference between GRPGD and JRPGD.

Numenera is less shit than Planescape:Torment.
Numenera is a better game than PS:T.
Numenera is Codex TOP 1 game of all times.
These all rely on the argument that PS:T is a JRPG, which it is not. Being similar to is not the same as being. As we can see in the case of PS:T and Numanuma.

:M
Damnit you beat me to it.

There would be like 5 guys remaining if all the 4channers left.
I would be one of those that gets to stay.

Sratopotator

Savant
Good day to You.
Do you have time to talk about our lord and savior jesus christ Brian Fargo?
If you want to be safe from eternal damnation, consider investing your soul money in a new Klicksmarter Project: "Bigger Longer Torment:ToN"

I. 15 new writers on the Team!
II. 4 new Tides colours. Salmon, khaki, sepia and prussian blue.
III. Shadow Sagus. Experience the experience of speaking with every NPC once again, but in ghostly form. Their dialogue will be slightly different, and hairstyle variety will be expanded.
IV. Expanded Tides. In-game text will show in your dominant Tide colour, and you'll be able to fart rainbows[only on PS4].
V. 32 more writers on the team, and modified ebola virus shipped with physical editions.

God bless you

Iznaliu

Arbiter
If you want to be safe from eternal damnation, consider investing your soul money in a new Klicksmarter Project: "Bigger Longer Torment".

III. Shadow Sagus. Experience the experience of speaking with every NPC once again, but in ghostly form. Their dialogue will be slightly different, and hairstyle variety will be expanded.
IV. Expanded Tides. In-game text will show in your dominant Tide colour, and you'll be able to fart rainbows[only on PS4].
V. 32 more writers on the team, and modified ebola virus shipped with physical editions.

God bless you

Where is the platinum statue of Fargo?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
watch OP find out he's been confusing PS:T with Septerra Core all this time, and his entire rpg-playing-life has been a lie

then he gets to play PST for the first time, come back and shit on numenera, lucky fuck

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Good day to You.
Do you have time to talk about our lord and savior jesus christ Brian Fargo?
If you want to be safe from eternal damnation, consider investing your soul money in a new Klicksmarter Project: "Bigger Longer Torment:ToN"

God bless you

:excellent:

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
Tough crowd huh?
Yes, let's be serious. It's a game we're talking about after all.

Hello mry shill alt account. Now go fuck yourself.

It's funny how there's so many low post count shill accounts who are all california liblols who do nothing but talk about numanuma with their few posts and then bash on me when they get a chance.

I guess every retardo writer from this shitfest must have made a shill account, assuming it's not all one gigantic retard.

Last edited:

Sratopotator

Savant
Tough crowd huh?
Yes, let's be serious. It's a game we're talking about after all.

Hello mry shill alt account. Now go fuck yourself.

It's funny how there's so many low post count shill accounts who are all california liblols who do nothing but talk about numanuma with their few posts and then bash on me when they get a chance.

I guess every retardo writer from this shitfest must have made a shill account, assuming it's not all one gigantic retard.
I'm a potato, born and bred (you can even see it in my username!). And my inglisz is really not that good.

Am i telling the truth?
Or maybe I'm a butthurt developer using a shill account, pretending that i'm a potato, pretending that my english is not that gut, just so i could argue with you on some philosophical topic on GD. Who knows?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Codex consensus seems to be that:
Codex consensus doesn't exist. Just look at the difference between GRPGD and JRPGD.

In fairness, the JRPG forum is less Codex proper and more Codex internment of weeaboos.

DarkUnderlord is just keeping them (us?) there until he implements his plan for the restoration of the Codex.

People in the Bethesda sub forum aren't safe either.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I knew it'd be shit given how shit W:2 was, yet the Cuckdex just loves shit games. Better yet, just cuck the shit out of them, and the Cuckdex will give you all their Jew-gold.

Sratopotator

Savant
shit, shit, cuck, shitcuck, cuck, shit, cuck, jewgold
Hmm, sounds reasonable. Good point.

I still enjoyed Numanuma more than W2, even if W2 is a better game overall. The blandness, oh my god. Both the lowest and highest points of W2 were just ranging from meh- to meh+. No risk-taking at all.
Numenera ranges from crazy retarded shitfest, to glorious golden turd-nugget.

And i think that InXile really fucked up when they decided to go with W2 as a compromise, and Torment as something innovative. They should've gone with the opposite. Wasteland 2 - more experimental, and Numenera - more conservative; considering how little has changed in isometric rpgs between original Torment release and now, there were a lot of specific expectations.

My point is yeah they're both shit, but for almost opposite reasons (apart from general lack of polish at release).

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I mean, to be fair PS:T was a far cry from the true Euro JRPGs like Sudeki or Septerra Core. But yeah, Avellone said that FFVII was one of the big inspirations for the game.

Anyway, we're all p autistic, right? Should be good at listing things that are JRPG like in PS:T. I'll start:

-- The whole party including the protagonist is pre-made, to the point where every character looks unique and requires their own gear. But then again this is also true for modern BioWare games, are they JRPGs too?
--Some high tier spells show short fullscreen clips as casting animations. Okay, I guess, very anime-like.
- Tons of spiky looking characters everywhere you go. Vhailor (and Mercy Killers in general) was a particularly painful example of it.
- Anime like villains, e.g. TTO. A stretch, but still.

Anything else?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I mean, to be fair PS:T was a far cry from the true Euro JRPGs like Sudeki or Septerra Core. But yeah, Avellone said that FFVII was one of the big inspirations for the game.

Anyway, we're all p autistic, right? Should be good at listing things that are JRPG like in PS:T. I'll start:

-- The whole party including the protagonist is pre-made, to the point where every character looks unique and requires their own gear. But then again this is also true for modern BioWare games, are they JRPGs too?
--Some high tier spells show short fullscreen clips as casting animations. Okay, I guess, very anime-like.
- Tons of spiky looking characters everywhere you go. Vhailor (and Mercy Killers in general) was a particularly painful example of it.
- Anime like villains, e.g. TTO. A stretch, but still.

Anything else?

- The party characters have their own goals and motivations, but join up with the MC any way.
- Party characters interact with each other through banter (JRPGs characters interact with each other through cutscenes).
- Storyline progression is linear for the most part.
- The story is everything.

That said, I don't think PS:T is a "JRPG" for one important reason: in JRPG, dialogue is short and to the point, the storytelling demands that the player has little to no say in the story and the game has to mantain a certain pace. In Planescape: Torment, you can:

- Pretty much define the Nameless One's personality.
- Read through optional walls of text that completely break the pace of the story... except there isn't a pace to the story, you make it yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom