Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Notch sells Minecraft to M$ for $2.5 billion

Renegen

Arcane
I thought the house looked nice, I can see the salesman telling him how that the spacious interior and the design would lead to a happier more creative life all while rubbing shoulders with A list celebrities in an ultra safe and modern enclosure. Of course if you buy a $70 million house, you're not doing it to improve your quality of life, but that's Notch being stupid. He's pretty much the definition of nouveau-riche, he should've just done the eccentric entrepreneur routine and bought Activision or something and inserted himself as the final boss of every video game they ever make.

himmy

Arcane
ITT: People who believe that a replica of a Central-European castle is the pinnacle of good taste in architecture.

That being said, weren't the Swedes famous for their lagom and their spirit of moderation that was held for so long as a counterexample to the excess of the ultra-capitalist US?

He might be given the benefit of the doubt for making this purchase as an investment, rather than a hedonistic exercise, as real estate is still one of the most reliable ways of making more money out of money, but a Swedish indie developer buying a $70 million L.A. house is like Gandhi buying Blackwater shares.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
When you have that much money what does it matter? What 'investments' do you need to make? Just sock ten million or so away in gold/bonds as a 'safety net' and do whatever the fuck you want with the other couple of billion.

sser

Arcane
Developer
An overly large concrete-colored box filled with all kinds of shit you don't need.

$85m. Modern decadence in a nutshell.

Ugly as shit.

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-19%20at%203.25.29%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-19%20at%203.49.59%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-19%20at%203.25.14%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-19%20at%203.27.23%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-19%20at%204.34.20%20PM.png

A $70m house with random pictures of celebrities and other hollywood paraphernalia - Hollywood's way of suggesting money can buy cool and class.

I can just visualise the frumpy middle aged women shuffling through in herds led by with a loud mouthed tourguide gushing about every celebrity detail. What a horrible place to spend your time away from the world.

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual

A $70m house with random pictures of celebrities and other hollywood paraphernalia - Hollywood's way of suggesting money can buy cool and class.

I can just visualise the frumpy middle aged women shuffling through in herds led by with a loud mouthed tourguide gushing about every celebrity detail. What a horrible place to spend your time away from the world.

The only good things there are the Veyron and the Koenigsegg.

Deleted member 7219

Whoever designed this house must have had a conversation like this:

Luzur

Good Sir
Ugly as shit.

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-19%20at%203.25.29%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-19%20at%203.49.59%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-19%20at%203.25.14%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-19%20at%203.27.23%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-19%20at%204.34.20%20PM.png

Huh, that doesnt give off "a swede lives here" feeling at all, could easily be a Kardashian place (for good example of how rich swedes usually behave: Ingvar Kamprad)

I guess Notch gone total Hollywood after the deal.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's not like he personally decorated it. Who can be bothered to personally choose the decor of such a large place?

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
These people seem to not understand that bigger isn't always better. That house is so big that they fill it up like a museum. No one want to live in a museum. Let alone a boring hollywood museum.

I wondered how Minecraft could possibly be worth this much, then the peak season hit Amazon (I work in a 'Fulfillment Center').

The games, the Minecraft Lego sets, the action figures, the plushies, the torch flashlights, Minecraft Papercraft, metal sheets with Minecraft designs, posters, books, clothing, costumes....I've had carts half filled with Minecraft items.

Unwanted

Sycophantic Noob

Andhaira
Andhaira
Lots of retardation in this thread.

He didn't actually get 2.5 billion in hard cash. He got it the way most of these things work, via stock ownership. So he will now spend a lot of time poring over investment details, hiring the best financial services to invest his money, and if he did retain ownership in Minecraft making sure the company/game is profitibe, or whatever he needs to ensure his stock value remains high. Because even a small shift in stock value can result in him loosing hundreds of millions in real money. If the company implodes, so does his fortune.

He could cash out by selling his stock though, but getting a good value for that amount will take a good amount of time. I think, never been involved in anything this big so I really have no clue. Like everyone else here.

And purchasing property is the best investment one can make, especially a property in a high value location. The value of this house will increase exponentially over the coming years, what with the gold and glamor of LA and Hollywood. It might be a boring investment sure, but it is a wise one. Not sure if he ever plans to live there though. He could also rent it out for even more money.

I wonder when powerful politicians and presidential candidates will start courting him for donations. I also wonder what Phil Fish thinks of this, he's probably melting down with jealousy considering his shit game Fez, hailed as 'art' sold for crap.

Thane Solus

Arcane
So, Notch the *champions of indies*, now goes full hypocrite sells his company to a corporation "he hates", buys a shitty hollywood house, overpriced 10 times, as a investment (until the next jihad cleansing of amurica). He had enough money to not give a fuck, why sell his company to somebody he hates, he could retire or take a backdoor role, and make new interesting projects, but why do that when you can milk the "gamers" with a few programmers and buggy updates, and then retired to the most retardo region in the world.

I hope he goes broke, he always talked trashed about corporations, game development and other real issues in GD, but in reality he was corp hipster that no interest in making real games, just milking the clueless kids. Huge decline of SWE in the last 10 years(i guess those retarded influences from murica reached their climax).

/rant

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ITT: People who believe that a replica of a Central-European castle is the pinnacle of good taste in architecture.

That being said, weren't the Swedes famous for their lagom and their spirit of moderation that was held for so long as a counterexample to the excess of the ultra-capitalist US?

He might be given the benefit of the doubt for making this purchase as an investment, rather than a hedonistic exercise, as real estate is still one of the most reliable ways of making more money out of money, but a Swedish indie developer buying a $70 million L.A. house is like Gandhi buying Blackwater shares.

No in realty Sweden is what i would like to call a nation that that think it self important and is not. So they swallow there own "Enlightened" bullshit that they spew and they have a very conformist culture where you act like you are told. All in all Sweden is full of it self and think it self better while in realty they are full of self hate and doubt.

Take us Danes. We might not matter, but we have little care about it and revel in our own decadence and drunken debauchery while knowing deep in our hearths that only one thing matter. At least we are not self righteous swedes.

himmy

Arcane

No in realty Sweden is what i would like to call a nation that that think it self important and is not. So they swallow there own "Enlightened" bullshit that they spew and they have a very conformist culture where you act like you are told. All in all Sweden is full of it self and think it self better while in realty they are full of self hate and doubt.

Take us Danes. We might not matter, but we have little care about it and revel in our own decadence and drunken debauchery while knowing deep in our hearths that only one thing matter. At least we are not self righteous swedes.

I lived in Copenhagen for a year, sharing the apartment with a Swede and I got the same discourse pretty much every drunken, druggy night.

Turjan

Arcane

I lived in Copenhagen for a year, sharing the apartment with a Swede and I got the same discourse pretty much every drunken, druggy night.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Lots of retardation in this thread.

He didn't actually get 2.5 billion in hard cash. He got it the way most of these things work, via stock ownership. So he will now spend a lot of time poring over investment details, hiring the best financial services to invest his money, and if he did retain ownership in Minecraft making sure the company/game is profitibe, or whatever he needs to ensure his stock value remains high. Because even a small shift in stock value can result in him loosing hundreds of millions in real money. If the company implodes, so does his fortune.

WRONG!
Bloomberg said:
Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft plans to pay for the acquisition with cash held overseas, said Peter Wootton, a company spokesman. That would have favorable tax consequences for the software maker, which has its vast majority of cash and short-term investments outside the U.S.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...y-minecraft-maker-mojang-for-2-5-billion.html

Check your facts, don't be Retarded Noob.

Microsoft smartly used this opportunity to get rid of some om the money they have made outside the US that would get taxed heavily if they bring it across the border.

pippin

That mansion is typical high class murikan paraphernalia, but I'd still take that James Dean bike.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That mansion is typical high class murikan paraphernalia, but I'd still take that James Dean bike.

We are talking Notch here. That fat hipster bastard should not have a James dean bike chanses are the tool dose not know the significance of it.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Huh, that doesnt give off "a swede lives here" feeling at all, could easily be a Kardashian place (for good example of how rich swedes usually behave: Ingvar Kamprad)

I guess Notch gone total Hollywood after the deal.

Swedes are not wiser or more sober than anyone else don't kid yourself. The emptiness and blandness of this house gives off strong modern Scandinavian vibes. I would not be surprised if half the furniture turns out to be from IKEA.

The owner of IKEA himself is an exception that happens to be a Swede. Living currently in Switzerland, I wonder why. His home was a few streets across mine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom