Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Not impressed with modern graphics

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The problem is simply a focus on 'technologically advanced graphics' rather than 'visuals'.

Not even that. The problem is that they are focusing on "technologically advanced graphics" but don't have the technology to actually advance graphics, because of consoles. So they are sacrificing good art style for realism without actually pushing realism in any way or form.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
poetic codex sounds like you need to force temporal anti-aliasing. That removes or reduces a lot of the shimmering and pixel crawl.

aron searle

Arcane
God dammit this forum is such a fucking graphics whore shrine.

I love console graphics, they are perfectly fine, I love that consoles have stagnated the technological curve.

What, people chasing ever more expensive pretty graphics in a techno race is supposed to impress me?

The longer consoles stagnate the curve, the more focus is put towards art style.

DraQ

Arcane
1. Plastic look / Uncanny Valley.
That's mostly consequence of (ab)use of specular combined with low-res bumpmaps. Pretty widespread, alas.

2. Favoring realism over art style
I've never had any problem with it, at least not since doom engine games and pixel art - back in those times there were many gorgeous stylized sprites and backgrounds.
If anything I have problems with stylistics based on abuse of cinematic effects - DoF, bloom, lensflares.
I do have problem with lack of good art direction, though, and stylization, like in DX:HR can work sometimes.

3. Questionable effects like ambient occlusion, bloom/HDR, motion blur, depth of field etc
I don't see anything wrong with AO. It's merely poor-man's self shadowing that can be applicable to ambient lighting.

Bloom is shit unless used only for extreme lighting, HDR can be shit if abused, DoF is almost invariably shit (Skyrim seems to be p. monocled in this regard as it only applies DoF in menus, underwater and during cinefaggic takedowns, no excessive bloom either - it is pretty plastic, though, although it looks much better if I apply my monitor's postprocessing in the form of saturation and sharpening filter to it).

Concerning graphics, what makes a game look great is having the the textures at the highest possible resolution.
This. No need to use texture packs, TBH, for example Morrowind's textures are already comparatively hi-res.

Apart from lighting it also used some texturing tricks - for example recursively applying scaled down detail textures to surfaces to introduce feeling of detail and avoid smeary look.

Nope, sorry. Looked like shit since day 1.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
"I went back to older games like Thief The Dark Project, System Shock 2 and Wizardry 8 and I'm finding the graphics much more immersive. "

I think these games are much more pleasant to the eye because I can actually see stuff on them, unlike Battlefield 3 and other games that smear the screen with shitty post-processing and effects on every chance they get.
Fun fact: Crysis 2 is the first and only game I've played where the "amazing" graphics actually made it more difficult for me to enjoy the game. There was so much blur/bloom/etc. and enemies were so indistinct from the environments that I literally had to turn down the graphics effects just to be able to acquire targets. The fact that they also included a red highlight around enemies when aiming at them suggests the developers were aware of this problem yet weren't willing to tone down their bloom or improve their art style to solve it.

Apart from lighting it also used some texturing tricks - for example recursively applying scaled down detail textures to surfaces to introduce feeling of detail and avoid smeary look.
This is called "detail textures" and I think is one of the best ways to add a layer of realism to textures which would start to look blurry up close. Sadly I think only a couple of engines support it... Unreal still does, Serious Engine 2 did it because it was in the original Serious Sam (I think), but not many others. I guess it boils down to the fact that needing more textures loaded in memory is not something consoles can currently manage, and it makes more sense to just have higher-res textures to begin with.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The problem IMO with (modern) 3D graphics is that they all look the same, there are no distinct style to them, they all look artificial and no matter how hard they might try, they can't get things to look right. I'd compare 3D graphics with CGI effects for films, in vast majority of the CGI effects they just doesn't look real enough and they all have that plastic look, with some few exceptions, and when you compare CGI effects to the traditional pracitcal effects, the well done traditional effects looks better than even the best CGI.

Similar with 2D vs. 3D in games, 2D doesn't look "realistic" but they can have much more varied art style, can set up mood much better and it doesn't have uncanny valley effect.

Terpsichore

Arcane
PS:T with widescreen mod is way more pleasant to look at than any modern game.

I think Arkham City allows FXAA and that works pretty well. You can also try a SMAA injector.

Only thing that effectively removed aliasing in UE3 games for me was Sparse Grid Supersampling, available only to Nvidia cards via Nvidia Inspector and costly as fuck. I suppose TXAA might be good, but the problem with it is only a handful of games support it and you need to have newest cards for it too. The main reason why FXAA reduces shimmering is because it blurs the whole image. SMAA isn't effective for temporal aliasing, except SMAA T2X, which isn't available with injectors.

Logic_error

Self-Ejected
Blur and Bloom are not amazing graphics, when most people mean amazing graphics. Or at least that is what they ought not to mean. Amazing graphics is detailed textures and the ability to render them in real time.

The rest is about how an engine and the developer puts such 'amazing graphics' to use. We have a failure in the first side because of consoles that sport old hardware. The second is an orthogonal issue which exists due to incompetent developers.

Witcher for example takes a mediocre graphic engine like Aurora, modifies it and produces some noticeably good looking backgrounds.

There are two things to note here:

1) The engine could render (dynamically) a world with passing textures
2) The CDPR devs managed to translate that into good looking backgrounds.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, this is the top offender for me... why we can't have more of this:

77B1D42FB01A84E4E10B6611B825D52D2F8A5F64

:(

EDIT: But I do think that Skyrim looks gorgeous with the right mods...

Divinity: Original Sin
Concerning graphics, what makes a game look great is having the the textures at the highest possible resolution.

This. No need to use texture packs, TBH, for example Morrowind's textures are already comparatively hi-res.

Well, maybe I didn't express myself quite right, it's not really a necessity to install a Hi-Res texture mod, but normally on texture pack is enough to make a game look good.

Yes, bad example. I was thinking about games like Alice, Fakk2, ST elite force 2, and forgot they were Quake 3.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Yeah, this is the top offender for me... why we can't have more of this:
77B1D42FB01A84E4E10B6611B825D52D2F8A5F64
:(

EDIT: But I do think that Skyrim looks gorgeous with the right mods...

Actually, this is one of the ultra rare number of games that used UE3 correctly. TBH, most of UE3 games look like shit.
Art style is actually a good thing. Because of it, original Quake looks pretty good even today. Or some of the PS1 games.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Well, maybe I didn't express myself quite right, it's not really a necessity to install a Hi-Res texture mod, but normally on texture pack is enough to make a game look good.

Yes, bad example. I was thinking about games like Alice, Fakk2, ST elite force 2, and forgot they were Quake 3.
yeah, EF2 is such a great example of graphics gone right. gotta love those plastic npc models with primitive facial animation, unmoving eyes, poor anatomy and huge tits

Machocruz

Arcane
I think people are too concerned with textures. Most games don't even have the foundation right, but they're fussing over minutia, and rather unsubtley at that. The whole, the 'big look' is more important than the parts, in any visual art (which Mirror's Edge gets right, as a matter of fact). Maybe if their games were more interesting or the whole looked more interesting, people wouldn't spend time looking at individual rocks or wall grout.

Indranys

Savant
Action: Read the thread.
Initial objective: Enjoy the majestic graphicwhoring, drama, and a lot of butthurt, also Uncle Skyway's expert opinions on 3D technology and textures.
Result: Disappointed.
:decline:

Joke aside, I pretty much agree about artstyle is much more important than graphix.
I mean, just look at these beautiful ancient graphix shit!

NewPic3.png

Mountaingen.png

New-World.png

They're more beautiful than your typical generic soulless Xbox artstyle yes?
But will the creator finish the game under 10 years of development is an entirely different matter...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom