Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nostalgic Video Game Magazines

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Anyone else use to read mags like these?

tumblr_mip7vyGBI71r2to8go1_1280.jpg

BookReaderImages.php

gallery

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The magazines here in huehuehueland were all console based:

firstp.jpg

Oddly enough, we now have a new magazine dedicated just to old console games:

oldgamer6.jpg

Is quite weird to open qa modern magazine and read stuff like thsi:

oldgamer4.jpg

Shame they don't cover PC stuff...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
felipepepe They still are mostly console, aren't they?

I've spent some time looking through magazines in search of Kickstarter/incline related articles, and it seems only German and UK magazines give a shit.

There's also this:

Retro-Gamer-Issue-129-2014.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
They still are mostly console, aren't they?
Yeah, nowadays we have Nintendo World, Official Xbox Magazine and Official Playstation Magazine, then EGW and the retro one above. You won't find a thing about PC in any...

Many challengers come and go, but they never last...The Edge Magazine tried, but only lasted 7 editions...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think I still have all my old issues of Nintendo Power boxed up somewhere. I should look into that; hopefully my parents didn't throw them away when I was storing my extra stuff at their house.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
There was this extremely :obviously: magazine called Game.exe in Russia that was meant for intellectuals. It would start an article about Half Life and go into problem of Kant's categorical imperative through the prism of FPS dialectics halfway through. Was p. cool, especially some of the more witty writers. Too bad it died. Not many intelligentsia in Russia.

Divinity: Original Sin
Cd expert was the huehue gog in early 2000s, but they became ads for greenleaf, a company that represented eidos, god games and others in Brazil, and always bashed Brasoft games, the main brazilian PC gaming distributor company back then.

The magazines here in huehuehueland were all console based:

firstp.jpg

Ação Games dedicated at least 2 pages for pc gaming per issue, and they released some special issues covering pc gaming exclusively. I loved how screenshots at the time were mostly pictures taken in front of an actual screen. Ação Games had competition with Videogame, that only covered consoles, but due to brasoft (brazilian company that distributed most famous PC games here) success, video game actually started to publish pc gaming reviews and even a magazine dedicated exclusively to PCgaming.

Supergame and Gamepower came later, and they were sega and nintendo representatives respectively, until they merged into supergamepower.

I still have some of then.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The only programming/game magazine I ever really bothered to pay any attention to. I have (I think) every issue.

Ahoy47November198700.jpg
Ahoy52April19880000.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin
Our edition of Ação Games and the first issue I bought:

EF17CA5C4.jpg

:love:

Wow, was it a translated version or was it edited in argentina? The cover is just like a brazillian cover:

acao_games_10_capa.jpeg

hey, look at the price: Cr$ 4.300,00. The next one cost Cr$ 5.400,00, and it came on a monthly basis. Man, I almost forgot the inflation times. I remeber paying for these magazines and comics with money I took from my mother's coat, plus money I had to buy snacks at school, and sometimes transport tickets, sometimes a whole set with dozens of tickets, that the owner of the magazine stand accepted as currency.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I used to read this back in the day:

tgm-38.jpg

The magazine also came with attached CD-Rom, which was filled with demos and even mods, which was a god send back in the days when i had no internet. I recently saw a modern issue and it was like three times smaller and the reviews were garbage, though for all i know it was always shit.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
71dmwwyfwJL._SL500_SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

TipsandTricks_Feb_2001_ScoobyDoo_Strategy.jpg

Here's another magazine company that I used to like. Every time my parents would take me food shopping, I would always read these magazines. I used these more than Gamefaqs or Gamewinners back around 2000-2004.

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
wSE1CDd.jpg

D7ZqJpk.jpg

NwsVyKd.jpg

Xw96h3a.jpg

The last one was cpc specific and others had some game reviews and such with the platform now and again. Ace reminds me that I really wanted a konix multisystem back then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom