Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

nostalgia? The little things you miss.

Jaqen

Novice
Hi,

Perhaps a case of nostalgia but what things do you miss from video/computer games?

Mine:

PC games that come in cardboard boxes and include a manual

When a game was installing you'd get a series of screen-shots in the background showing you what the game was like.

When there was not so much 'in your face' advertising of upcoming games. These days when you eventually play a game you know exactly what to expect.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh boy.

* Boxes (Big ones!)
* Manuals (Big ones! Also, if you have a nice manual that means you don't have to torture me in-game with a tutorial. I don't fucking want a tutorial!)
* Quality (We somehow started thinking quality meant good presentation, and good presentation only.)
* Complexity (Why can't we have another Master of Magic? And if they try, why does it always suck? Same for Master of Orion 2.)
* Sprites. (Well-drawn ones, not most of these indie-game sprites. Especially SNES sprites. Fuck your 3D shit.)
* Isometric perspective. (Too many memories to list.)
* Turn-based combat. (And I don't mean JRPG combat. I mean grid-based or hex-based, with as many options that all make sense as you can cram in there.)
* Music (Oh this is a big one. Game-music today has no soul - instead it has Soule.)
* Games knowing that they were games and weren't posing as action movies or "art".
* Arrow-roleplaying games. (Blob RPGs where you move around by clicking on arrows.)
* NO TRAILERS
* No bullshit online anti-piracy scheme that makes it so you are required to have internet to play
* 320x240 resolution; it was the best. You had to draw it well or it'd look like crap.
* 640x480 resolution; SVGA was the most amazing thing
* goofy/nerdy humor (Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, anyone?)
* Sierra-games that you can't complete if you didn't pick up item X 3 chapters ago, after you overwrote your save-game, with the death-screen taunting you for being an idiot
* setup.exe
* 220 5 3

- playing with the autoexec.bat and the config.sys. FOR EVERY GAME.
- the feeling of reward when you finally get a game with a custom memory manager to work as a kid (Ultima 7)
- Norton Commander

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
A few rebuttals -

- Manuals are cool, but there should still be a tutorial option in the event that someone purchases the game second hand, online, or simply somehow loses the manual completely.

- There are still high quality games coming out, unfortunately there aren't many high quality RPGs coming out.

- There are still complex games coming out. There were plenty of stupid dumb games back then too, you simply remember the complex ones over the dumb ones.

- Game music is just as good if not better in some aspects.

- There are tons of games that know they are games and aren't posing as art.

- What's wrong with trailers?

- Pretty easy to get around most anti-piracy.

- Quite a few modern games still have a setup.exe file...

I suppose I agree with everything else.

edit - why do you miss needing to fiddle around with config files just to make a game work?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Jasede said:
- Norton Commander

I loved me some Norton Commander.

Norton_commander.png

Norton_Commander_5.51.png

It feels like 1989 all over again.

Bruticis

1. Formatting a brand new box of floppies for an hour.
2. Inset Disk 1, wait, Insert Disk 2, wait, Insert Disk 1, wait...finally, game loaded, move to new area, Insert Disk 3, wait...

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
- The floppy swaping
- Norton Commander
- run
- the pride of figuring out what the fuck you're supposed to do since the game is not in your fucking language and you're 12 (alone in the dark, ecstatica).
- my cousin's Commodore 64 and the ritual necessary to start a game.
- I still miss my amiga 500 (died a bitter death) and the craziness of monkey island, the sheer fun of shufflepuck cafe' and the atmosphere of Simon the Sorcerer.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Windows 95, installers with that specific "office" look, MS Works, Secret Service, Gambler, Reset, Top Secret

DraQ

Arcane
If I miss some old stuff it's because it was good not because it's old.
:obviously:

This includes nice thick manuals and similar stuff.

And I've set up my DOSBox to autoexec NC on startup, so I don't exactly miss it.
:smug:

Music (Oh this is a big one. Game-music today has no soul - instead it has Soule.)
:lol: :salute:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Quests that you had to figure out through dialogs and steps that made sense, not the psychic quest arrow bullshit.

- Decent game manuals with interesting lore.

- Physical (paper or cloth) maps that are actually useful in figuring out the game world's layout (which is actually relevant in the game).

- Text parsers.

- Not having to worry about asshats spoiling the game you're playing because you glanced at the internet.

- Most of the things in Jasede's list.

- I doubt anyone actually misses dicking around with EMS/XMS, boot discs and physical card addresses, etc. but whatever. ;)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Jasede said:
* 220 5 3
Why you used 3rd DMA? SB compatible cards usually used DMA 1.

Also anyone who miss NC should use FAR. Even most of keyboard shortcuts are same.

DaveO

Erudite
6-8 characters in your party before the decline and massive character emo.
EFFICIENT game coding since memory limits were up to 640K.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Most of the above but also:

- Installing and using a soundcard for the first time. Playing Monkey Island would never be the same again.

- 256 colour palette. Games were just more cheerful and innocent back then.

- Animated installers with background speech: Westwood, Activision, back when devs really cared about the full experience.

- Keyboard overlays

- Those wacky extras in boxes such as those of Infocom: A plastic evidence bag with pills in and 'authentic' autopsy report in Deadline for example.

- Mostly though, I miss the experimentation and innovation (as opposed to streamlining and innovashun) and the real WOW effect that games had. I miss the jaw dropping awe when booting up Midwinter or Ultima Underworld for the first time. Developers were really going all out at the turn of 90's trying all sorts of new things, creating whole new genres, hybrids, doing stuff for the first time ever.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I remember most of the things mentioned here so far, but only a handful of them actually make me feel nostalgic for the events that took place. I remember the pains I had to go through to get Ultima 7 running on a boot disk. I remember how QEMM7 made most of my headaches go away.

I remember how the only way I could get the game Murder! to run was from a bootdisk with MS-DOS 4.0. I could not get it to run with any other OS. I remember how crap the game Murder! was, and how I only ever managed to solve a single case in the game because it was a suicide.

I remember how much effort it was to actually start playing and completing a single game, either all by yourself, or with the help of some good friends. Today you just Google the answers to whatever is troubling you. We didn't have that 20 years ago. We had to WORK to complete our games!

I played through, and completed, Ultima Underworld without ever getting a single hint or scrap of help for the game. I wrote down, and later printed out, all the mantras and undocumented spells I could find as well as some other useful information on a piece of paper. I still have that piece of paper in my UW1 box. All the info on that piece of paper I discovered in-game.

I needed to patch UW2 before I could complete it, but otherwise the same applies.

The only time I ever needed any help in any of the Eye Of The Beholder games was right at the start, because I couldn't find a keyhole for one of the doors (it had the same colour as the wall).

I remember playing Star Control 2 for the first time, and the feel of insignificance as I saw just how big the gaming world was. Many of my friends had played the game, but none of them had completed it. I pieced together all of the bits of information they had on the game, and actually completed the game, beating them all to it.

I remember how I collected .mod tracks everywhere I could find them. I remember that the only track I had from Star Control 2 (and this was before I ever played the game) was the Umgah theme. I remember how excited I was when I came across a stray disk at a friend's house that contained a program that allowed me to extract the .mod tracks from the SC2 data files! After that I owned the SC2 soundtrack, and enjoyed it immensely. I still own all the .mod tracks I collected.

I remember when Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was released, me and a Harrison Ford-fanatical friend of mine sat and played it together. Two heads are better than one, as we beat the Teamwork path in only two days. We loved every minute of it.

I remember when UFO: Enemy Unknown was first released, how about 5 or six of us raced to try to complete it. Some of us had trouble learing to understand how the tactical part of the game worked, until I made the connection that it played almost just like Lazer Squad. That fixed almost all of the problems instantly. I can't remember which one of us was the first to beat UFO, but...

I also remember when X-COM: TFTD was released. Then the race was really on. I was the first to beat the game, but only by an hour or so. 3 of my friends were playing together on one computer, and the one who owned it was being a dick in the T'leth mission and blocked the other players from being the ones who made the final kill.

I remember Jagged Alliance. Once again, a race was formed, and again I won, but only by mere minutes. It was also the first game where I noticed a difference between two different versions of the game. The version I had was much easier than a version that a friend of mine had. He had the patched version, I did not.

I remember playing, and beating, the Castle of Dr. Brain on Expert, all by myself, sometime around 1997. I got very far through the Island of Dr. Brain, until I was stumped by a puzzle that required me to convert between the metric and imperial systems. I could not find the information needed anywhere, not even on the Internet back then. Fuck you, imperial swines!

I remember the first, and only time, that I submitted any content to a gaming magazine. I compiled all of the tips, tricks and cheats that I knew for all the games I knew. It was about 2 pages of content. The gaming magazine billed itself as a "all formats" magazine, but in the end they only ever printed a code for a GameBoy title. For me, consoleitis was been around for almost 20 years.

I remember the hubbub about the Konix Multisystem. 'nuff said.

I could go on like this for hours, but I've got a busy day tomorrow and need sleep.

Last edited:
I miss being interested by video games; I still think it's a great form of art but I can't get myself to actually enjoy a game these days, the sole exception being FNV which I genuinely enjoyed like I used to enjoy games before.
In fact I prefer writing about games on a forum than actually playing them. I do try all the RPGs though, as to have something honest to say about them, in a non-Skyway way ("this game is shit though I didn't even install it on my PC").
Same for movies and music. I guess I'm an old moron.

I guess it somehow comes from instant access to everything. When I was young, I was desperately searching for, I don't know, "Shard of spring" on the C64. When I found a copy I was utterly filled with joy even if the game was a mess. Nowadays you don't give a shit, you download everything through legal or illegal channels and it just sleeps on your computer, waiting to be checked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom