Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Northgard - Viking RTS with snow!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Already at 4th mission.

If you like it's multiplayer, you might like it. Otherwise borrow from friend, play a bit in spare time.

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Played it briefly(sp only) today, didn't click with me at all.

-Comicesque artstyle doesn't fit the theme at all.
-For RTS the pace is too slow, for a builder the base layout is too meaningless and the tech tree too flat/unsurprising
-fwiw there doesn't seem to be any production chain at all
-the scouting feature doesn't add anything of value and further slows down the pace
-the winter and resource scarcity feature feels like a complete waste of potential.

The entire hour that I've been trying it before hitting refund, I wanted to fire up AoE2 or alternatively (can't believe I'm saying this) Banished instead.

Humanophage

Arcane
It's actually quite fun in multiplayer. Single player is too primitive, but the relative simplicity shines in MP, having a kind of Settlers of Catan appeal (I guess this explains the abundance of Germans). I would especially recommend free for all MP with 8 players. The dramatic reversal of fortunes and everyone ganging up on the winner makes it entertaining and unpredictable without being random.

I entirely disagree that scouting is a useless feature. It's crucial for slowing down early expansion and preventing rushing. Resource scarcity is not a waste either. An enemy suffering from starvation is a great target for attacks, and it generally prevents people from going full-in on the military. This helps the game not be just another military RTS and instead makes it more economy-focused. It also makes bloated armies unusually vulnerable because you can strike the resources and they'll starve.

Not a bad game.

Last edited:

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
It's the comfiest RTS I've played. Scratches my RTS itch whenever I develop one. Keep returning to it.

New patch is out. Since ELEX 2 failed me, I think I'll jump back into Northgard now.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I picked this up a while back when GOG had it on special. It is very slow, like baby's first RTS. However considering I am horrendous at RTS and really hate how most of them throw way too much shit at you at once to try to overwhelm you, then I actually like it quite a bit. I have beaten the first two story missions and the second one introduced a little bit of time pressure to save an allied clan, but still gave you an abundance of time.

There are aspects that I don't like, but I'm going to stick with it for another mission or two and see what happens.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Beat the third mission last night. Again, it's slow and gives you plenty of time to just casually build things up. However this mission was pretty annoying.

It starts you on a coast with the objective of destroying the enemy camp which is way across the map. But you get a steady influx of raiders from the sea where 3 or 4 enemies show up and go straight to murdering your villagers. My troops could handle them easy but I'd be halfway across the map going for the objective and then the raid would hit. So have to backtrack to keep the whole village from being slaughtered. You can build watchtowers but only 1 per zone and they can't handle the raids on their own.

There was also a big story event at the end of the mission which kind of trivialized the whole thing, which I wasn't a huge fan of. But I am still interested enough to want to play the next mission.

Zanzoken

Arcane
The fourth mission was focused on achieving a victory through trade. There was virtually no combat, save for clearing a few monster nests. Pretty simple mission, but again, it's just my speed and I find it relaxing to play.

Lagi

Savant
Nice strategy! Play it for 2 days now. Its like "comfy turtling zone", until your opponents start attacking you all time.

Each part of economy is neatly balanced. Food and wood is being consumed all time, there is harsh shortage of supply during winter. To get gold you need to sell something or depend on sea raiding. You need to assign villager to specific profession, and send them to other jobs as game demand. Stone upgrade buildings, iron units. There is Lore which allow you to research little bonuses, on which I depend way too much to survive. Global military xp unlock you 4x passive skills (except maybe Milita, which are 4x dudes to help you defend your land).

Happiness regulate speed of creating new villagers. Hunger, lack of housing, high population reduce happiness, and you never have enough manpower. Unless ofc when you have too much compare to the food you can get and they all start dying from hunger (i think everyone start losing HP, and you cannot just kill few).

Military is important to conquer and defend yourself, but usually i have 2 units, increased to 4..6 in time of conquest. Rather simple: Hero, tower & 3x type of rock paper scissor units.

IIRC there is like 5x victory conditions, mostly by accumulating another resource (Fame, commercial influence) and looks like you should aim for the one that the map condition make most favorable for you. (f.ex. if you have multiple stone menhir in your land, you should go for tech victory). There are some more exotic goals, but i didnt try to achive them as I was too overwhelm with trying to survive.

Usual RTS freedom of doing whatever you want is restricted by chunk of territories that limit your building numbers, and how far you can travel (because you need explore fog of war with dedicated worker-scouts).

Great game have lots of fun with it. Really like how well thought out every element of gameplay is - everything have pros/cons, you need to use everything and all time there is shortage of all resources, even the one that you think you have plenty.

There is tons of DLC clans, but i dont really see the point. They are like Age of Empires civilization - mostly the same with different bonuses or some single special building/unit.

I never win a skirmish game, but i blame NPC that always team up against me :) .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom