Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-mondblutian RPGs

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by jancobblepot, Aug 18, 2011.

1. jancobblepotgender: ⚧ Educated

jancobblepot
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Yes, I want to play a non-combat centric RPG. No, I don't want an adventure game, I want to create my character/s from scratch, a responsive world, C&C, etc.

And yeah, I loved PS:T, but no thanks. That's a fantastic adventure game and a poor RPG IMO. I want something better than a high INT+WIS chararcter with D&D rules.

I also played Ultima 4-7, those are my favourite games, but STR, DEX and INT are only battle skills, so the rest of the game is pretty much an adventure game (except maybe U4).

So... Any help?

^ Top  
  2. Jaesungender: ⚧ Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    4/10.

^ Top  
  3. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Capitalism II?

^ Top  
  4. sgc_meltdowngender: ⚧ Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    Parrots:
    pizza tycoon

^ Top  
  5. Gordgender: ⚧ Arcane

Gord
    Parrots:
    Actually it's a good question and the codex could for once at least try to find some intelligent responses.
    I'd be pretty interested in something like that, too.

^ Top  
  6. Serious_Businessgender: ⚧ Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    Parrots:
    There are no non-mondbultian rpgs. Rpgs are about stats and loot. Shut the hell up. That's all there is to it. If you want something more go read a book

^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Renegengender: ⚧ Arcane

Renegen
    Parrots:
    Deus Ex, non Lethal :troll:

As I mentioned in another thread, Grand Ages : Rome is a city builder that has RPG mechanics. You pick one of 5 roman families, each with its own skill tree, whether slavery, knowledge, populism, martial skill, trade then you get to buy estates that give you particular ressoures before each mission. The campaign overall is also pretty cool. The original game is from the time of Sulla's death to Caesar's death, while the expansion pack is during Augustus's reign, so you'll get plenty of flavor and storytelling.

It's not an RPG per-se, but RPGs as you understand them are a very western thing, inspired by D&D. Combat is key. For the most part, US games are violent while European games are more pacifist, this produces more adventure and strategy games from them.

You can also check the Quest for Glory series. They are adventure games fused with RPG elements.

^ Top  
  8. Trashgender: ⚧ Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Parrots:
    You're basically asking for what would amount to the old codexian's defenition of a perfect rpg. Too bad there never was any made. The rpg's that are lauded the most on this site are perhaps the ones that come closest and indeed, they pale in the light of such demands.

^ Top  
  9. sgc_meltdowngender: ⚧ Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    Parrots:
    Yes, I want to play a non-puzzle centric adventure. No, I don't want a dungeon crawler, I want a heavy emphasis on narrative, extensive conversations, detailed characterisation, etc.

bros offer me suggestions on this while we're turning the barrel over to see if we missed an interesting paradoxical drop

come on give me a world without item hunting or scenes in stasis or verbing the noun

^ Top  
  10. Alex_Steelgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Alex_Steel
    Parrots:
    Could you give an example of such a game?

^ Top  
  11. Mortmalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    Lets try the most obscure gems , the not so well known games as you already know the classics.
    King of dragon pass , runequest world with C&C non combat centric heavy story lot of maangement, deserves to be more widely known.Albion maybe although combat centric . Or just get fantasy grounds 2 , and play a pen and aper session with real guys over the net.

^ Top  
  12. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    There is no such game, or else it would be common knowledge around here.

^ Top  
  13. sgc_meltdowngender: ⚧ Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    Parrots:
    Europa 1400 is the closest. And it even has nearly zero emphasis on combat!

More sawing on how strategy games have c&c that make the best rpgs look like bioware made all of them, etc

^ Top  
  14. Scepticgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    So, uh, you basically want and don't want the same things at the same time?

Also, if you want C&C, then you really should be playing adventure games.

Fixed.

^ Top  
  15. Wyrmlordgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Wyrmlord
    Parrots:
    Frankly, the old Codex crowd had an absurd and unrealistic view of RPGs.

Vault Dweller, Saint Proverbius, Section8, Rosh, and Volourn have idealized a particular kind of RPG that never existed.

They never enjoyed the genre for what it was. They merely saw it as a working model for their dream game that never existed and never will exist.

What I like about the post-2007 Codex is that they worried more about existing content in existing games that they have actually enjoyed. The actual final product. Not what they wished they game had strived towards. And hence, they are able to focus on the basics and the fundamentals - good combat system, good interface, interesting locations with good encounters,.etc - and talk about where it is really most feasible to change a game for the better. Not this fiction about, "I want a game where there are ten skill checks for non-combat solutions at every stage"

Vault Dweller - not to make it sound like I have an agenda against him - repeated several times the example of the dynamite solution in Fallout on this forum to prove that creative non-combat solutions can exist in games. This was a very revisionist approach to Fallout, because the dynamite solution was just one lone solution to one lone quest. It was not very representative of Fallout as a whole, which still had a good deal of fighting involved and still stuck to othodox content.

See, because their idealized RPG never existed, they had to commit historical revision on RPGs, until they were talking about Daggerfall and Realms of Arkania as examples of...dialogue-based gameplay in RPGs.

^ Top  
  16. SCOgender: ⚧ Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    QFG series (not really). Bloodnet (ok, not really). Bloodlines, obfuscate clan, non lethal as far as you can. Deus Ex; non lethal, arcanum; non lethal (lol), Fallout 1&2; non lethal, Geneforge 5; stealth and no lethal as far as you can, Torment; stealth playthrough only kill the 1rst zombie.

^ Top  
  17. Surf Solargender: ⚧ cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    So, just because he says he wants an RPG where the emphasiss is not heavily on combat, but fighting still existing he gets crushed for being a troll? This is even more funny seeing the fact that a lot of games have very crappy or poorly developed combat mechanics (you know, the thing we're often discussing here?)

I'd rather play a game where there is less of crappy combat, than to endure a game full of filler stuff and grinding.

There's nothing wrong with an RPG as the OP wants, just like Torment, if only there could be more viable alternatives to the obligatory high INT/WIS build etc..

^ Top  
  18. Grunkergender: ⚧ RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So aspiration is a bad thing now?

Oh, the power of prophecy!

^ Top  
  19. Gordgender: ⚧ Arcane

Gord
    Parrots:
    Of recent games, FO:NV seemed to me to have a (relatively) low amount of combat, at least early-to-mid-game, or you can at least avoid it for large parts.
    It also has (again relatively) many skill-checks.

Too bad the DLC is leaning more towards combat again.

Still, probably not what OP is looking for.

Codex at it's finest. :roll:

^ Top  
  20. Excidiumgender: ⚧ P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Morans ITT.

What the OP wants is an RPG focused on investigation and exploration, not an RPG without combat.

Suggesting adventures is pointless because he wants a game with rich character creation, lots of skill checks and character choices to guide the game instead of pixel hunting and trial and error.

@OP

You probably already played all games that did something close to that, go play P&P RPGs...

^ Top  
  21. Captain Shrekgender: ⚧ Orbis non-sufficit Dumbfuck

Captain Shrek
    Parrots:
    Tragically this.

^ Top  
  22. Castanovagender: ⚧ Prophet

Castanova
    Parrots:
    It's not a tragedy, it's just a lack of technology. There isn't any sufficient computer model of complex human interaction nor any sufficient model of complex human-based organizations (like governments or guilds or whatever) that is available to game developers. Therefore any game trying to include this sort of thing has to rely on, at best, canned triggers created by the designers which necessarily feel shallow in the end, as compared to the "ideal." Most cases, you're dealing with dialog skill checks which boil down to raising Wis/Int/Speech past a certain threshold in order to skip combat sequences.

^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Did you have a memory hiccup there? Volourn joined as a Bioware-loving contrarian and hasn't changed much at all.

^ Top  
  24. Norfleetgender: ⚧ Moderator

Norfleet
    Parrots:
    Zero emphasis on combat, you say? So my hostile takeovers of all the guards and thieves guilds, beating and kidnapping my enemies, and cannoning the town...not combat, you say?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)