Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Non-Combatant Skill Combinations

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Any recommendations? For example, other than lore, what kind of skills should a Loremaster have?

Helton

Arcane
Loremaster has to join another guild pretty much immediately after vignette. So what skills you pick will be tied intimately to which questline you pursue. Talky for merchant, thiefy or comabty for thieves, also options for a Praetor I think.

Expect to get a little physical though, for most of the more interesting lore areas. 4 in physical stats is probably a bad idea. Disguise, Streetwise, Persuasion, and a bit of combat ability all are (or can be) important.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Yeah, the Loremaster seems to require some combat ability and definitely hardiness in order to really get the full benefit of his class. My first Loremaster was undermined by the mistake of not doing so. It's probably best to think of him as an Indiana Jones style of archaeologist when designing him. For non-combat, the Grifter is a better choice.

Incidentally, is it possible for thread titles in this section to automatically be given an "AoD" prefix? It's momentarily disorienting when clicking through from the front page. I'm going to fail my Wisdom check on one of these threads eventually.

Andkat

Educated
Actually, it should be possible to access most of the Loremaster content with a 0-combat diplomancer build. You need quite a lot of Streetwise and Persuasion and a little bit of Disguise to be able to talk around every encounter you need to talk around, and getting access to the correct number of powered tubes as a non-combat character is very difficult with the game's current state (you basically either need to waste points in Str/Dex and have a high lockpick, join the Legion late in Teron and somehow survive the one mandatory fight plus have a lot of money, or deliberately game your Lore skill progression so that you fail the mine lore check), and money tends to be pretty tight due to the Arena and a few lucrative quests being barred to you (plus having to pay tolls to various brigands and not being able to loot corpses).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom