Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nobody talks about Octopath Traveler or what

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
switch emulator is already booting 3d games and loads stages. in about 4-6 months you'll be able to emulate octopath no probs. (probably).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems to be doing well. Sold twice as much as Bravely Default in UK. Square apologized about physical stock being sold out in Japan. This might actually do well for this kind of game.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
What is the game's structure like? Is it mostly non-linear? Can you travel anywhere at any time? I'm getting kind of SaGa vibes from it, but it's hard to tell sometimes. I mostly just want to run around the world doing quests and avoiding the main story at every opportunity, sort of like Romancing SaGa.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
eric__s

There are 8 characters with 8 scenarios. You can do them all on a single save file. You choose one character as your main. You can't swap that one out until you have completed all his/her chapters completed. You pick up other characters by completing their prologues or first chapters. You can complete scenarios and chapters as you see fit. You can swap party members at inns. Each character has a path action: like duel almost any character, steal with a chance of failing, and so on. Many path actions can be needed to complete side quests. On the topic of side quests; there are some of those strewn around the world. You might not be able to complete them as soon as you get them, but you can come back. Depending on path actions that you choose to complete quests, there are different resolutions. There are optional dungeons with fun bosses. To unlock sub-classes that you can assign to your characters, you need to find its respective shrine in the world. Characters don't seem to have much to no interaction early on, don't know about later. I personally don't mind 8 distinct stories.

If I got something wrong, there are several nice fellas here that can correct me. I know that they have played a lot more than me.

Hyperion

Arcane
What is the game's structure like? Is it mostly non-linear? Can you travel anywhere at any time? I'm getting kind of SaGa vibes from it, but it's hard to tell sometimes. I mostly just want to run around the world doing quests and avoiding the main story at every opportunity, sort of like Romancing SaGa.
You have quite a bit of freedom, but can only enter dungeons if they aren't story-related. Optional dungeons will be empty unless you have activated the prerequisite sidequest / obtained information or rumors regarding their existence from NPC's using characteers' Path Actions.

Perkel

Arcane
isn't this standard classic jrpg ?

I am done with playing those. They are simply to simple for my brain and i don't like to play japanese games for story because it hardly ever works and game dies under cat people waifu garbage.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I want to talk about how I don't have a Switch nor I have a PC capable of running Switch emulator so I cant play this game at all.

:negative:

miles teg

Scholar
I'm not far into the game, but I'm really enjoying it. The music it top notch, probably the best I've listened to since the SNES era. Graphics are... peculiar: you might hate or love it, depending on your personal taste, but it's clear they put a lot of work into it.
Dungeons are extremely linear, but this is a plus for me personally, because I _hate_ huge places with random battles. I always forget where I was going before the battle starts and I end-up backtracking a little before noticing I actually came from that direction; so I steer and... another random battle. Fuck that, welcome corridor dungeons with minimal branching only needed to reach treasure chests. I know this is a controversial point, but there are many other games to play mouse in a maze.

Gameplay. Everyone says it's similar to Bravely Default, but I haven't played it, so I wouldn't know. I find the combat system very engaging, and even trashmob encounters require a little bit more than "bash attack to end battle", even if it's just to speedup the battle. With proper planning it's possible to win battles even if areas you are not supposed to go, yet and I *love* that.

Story: Can't say much since I only completed the 8 first chapters so far. It's a little bit on the verbose side, but dialogs seem well written and generally I look forward to the next development and that's more that I can say it happens to me with other JRPGs

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Honestly, while it has some common things with Bravely Default, they aren’t all that similar.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
you can sneak into high level dungeons to grab high level loot as a scrub. Love that shit. Just get the merchant and scholar skills to avoid combat.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Combat being similar to Bravely is a plus and it fits with this forum's general taste. Bravely's downside was the repeated content and the barren, lifeless world. Plus it was generic af, and the characters were boring.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I picked the thief as my first character and he seems to do well with evading enemy attacks. Almost no physical attacks hit me. I purchased/stole everything that boosts speed and evasion. I can’t wait to delve deeper.

I really like the look of the game and music is very solid.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So finally beat the chapters for my party and unlocked all 4 jobs. Here are some quick thoughts:

-Everything and everyone in this game is connected. It's not immediately obvious, but it's something you'll slowly start to realize the further in you get. Even most side quests are connected to the overall story. Really good writing all-in-all. It feels low key but the way how nothing is redundant is really nice.

-Alfyn can be whatever sub job you want. Anything your heart desires. It doesn't make any difference. His Apothecary + Concontion kit is already so powerful and versatile that it doesn't make much of a difference as to what else you give him. The popular choice is Thief to make up for his poor speed but later on you get a +80 Speed accessory so you can just slap that bad boy on him and all your worries are gone. After I unlocked the super jobs I subbed him as a Warrior for more melee power but, again, I find that his support skills are just so good that he can make other damage dealers shine even brighter.

-I have no idea what to make of Cyrus. Obviously he's a caster, but it feels dumb subbing him as a Sorcerer, one of the four super jobs. Sorcerer just completely overwrites the entire Scholar skill set and none of the other super jobs offer him anything that would have good synergy with him. Scholar works better as a sub job rather than a main one. Primrose is a far better caster than Cyrus since she's not burdened by the Scholar main. Statistically Cyrus is only slightly better at MAtk (we are talking about a <10 point difference) than Primrose, but that amount is meaningless. I've hit the MAtk cap with Primrose a long time ago anyway. On the other hand she has the best Speed which is a lot harder, if not impossible, to compensate. She's almost always going first can blows random encounters immediately before anyone else can move.
On the plus side his story is one of the better ones.

-You have to beat all chapters on all 8 characters to get to the real ending, which I haven't done yet. This is kind of very gay. Honestly I just wanted to roll with my 4 man team and then replay the game later with the other 4. The game is completely open up until the very end and that's quite jarring in my opinion.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
14 hours in and I am having a lot of fun. I like the turn-based combat, with finding enemy weakness and breaking them. I love games with job systems. Combat is a step below Bravely Default. Graphics and sound are good. Writing varies. It can be bad at times and very good on other occasions. 6 out of 32 chapters done. 1 sub job collected. Visited a few optional dungeons and completed a few side quests. I like that they don’t spell out exactly what you need to do.

Overall, I am having fun, and can’t wait to get back to playing more.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The battle system and the music of this game is great.

PD: H'aanit best waifu.

haanit_illust.jpg

duanth123

Arcane
So finally beat the chapters for my party and unlocked all 4 jobs. Here are some quick thoughts:

-Everything and everyone in this game is connected. It's not immediately obvious, but it's something you'll slowly start to realize the further in you get. Even most side quests are connected to the overall story. Really good writing all-in-all. It feels low key but the way how nothing is redundant is really nice.

-Alfyn can be whatever sub job you want. Anything your heart desires. It doesn't make any difference. His Apothecary + Concontion kit is already so powerful and versatile that it doesn't make much of a difference as to what else you give him. The popular choice is Thief to make up for his poor speed but later on you get a +80 Speed accessory so you can just slap that bad boy on him and all your worries are gone. After I unlocked the super jobs I subbed him as a Warrior for more melee power but, again, I find that his support skills are just so good that he can make other damage dealers shine even brighter.

-I have no idea what to make of Cyrus. Obviously he's a caster, but it feels dumb subbing him as a Sorcerer, one of the four super jobs. Sorcerer just completely overwrites the entire Scholar skill set and none of the other super jobs offer him anything that would have good synergy with him. Scholar works better as a sub job rather than a main one. Primrose is a far better caster than Cyrus since she's not burdened by the Scholar main. Statistically Cyrus is only slightly better at MAtk (we are talking about a <10 point difference) than Primrose, but that amount is meaningless. I've hit the MAtk cap with Primrose a long time ago anyway. On the other hand she has the best Speed which is a lot harder, if not impossible, to compensate. She's almost always going first can blows random encounters immediately before anyone else can move.
On the plus side his story is one of the better ones.

-You have to beat all chapters on all 8 characters to get to the real ending, which I haven't done yet. This is kind of very gay. Honestly I just wanted to roll with my 4 man team and then replay the game later with the other 4. The game is completely open up until the very end and that's quite jarring in my opinion.

I agree with your assessment and frankly even found some of the main story chapters to be fairly entertaining.

When it comes to handling the party of 8 and keeping everyone leveled evenly until the post-game, you can abuse Bewildering Grace on the Dancer job class to obtain JP/EXP x 5 or even x100 in trash battles as a means of grinding quickly.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Holy fuck bros, got to the final fight against
Galdera or whatever the fuck dark god
and managed to beat the first phase after a bit of effort... second phase, first round he kills my level 71 Olberic who has max physical defense and almost max magical defense. With atk/m.atk debuffs on the sword and abyssal maw. What? Are you supposed to grind to level 99 to beat this thing? All the lore leading up to it was cool with
Graham Crossford
specifically.

But the game doesn't save and forces you to fight EIGHT mini-bosses prior to fighting the two phase final boss. The mini-bosses are not difficult but probably take 15-30 minutes of busywork to clear every time. Anyone here beat it? Is it worth grinding for? At this point I'm leaning toward moving on to another game in my backlog...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom