Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nobody talks about Octopath Traveler or what

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
octo-1528813474924_1280w.jpg

The game got released today. Is anyone is playing it to share impressions? It is true that the game lacks a central story for giving a reason to the characters to go on group?

Big Wrangle

You have to have a very high IQ to understand the deep metaphor of a traveling octopus that walks a path.
:mhd:
Jokes aside I do like their attempt to spice things up a bit with modern effects.
latest

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
It was just the name of the game's project but after announcing it and gaining popularity with that name they decided to leave it.

large.jpg

Terra

Cipher
Came into the thread expecting tentacles and waifus. I leave disappointed.

(Will be picking the game up when I get a Switch, looks pretty good despite the odd name.)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It strikes me as some kind of remake of Final Fantasy 6 or something using Final Fantasy Tactics art.

Tigranes

Arcane
So Vagrant Story art showing a band of traveling adventurers, and their personal dancing girl.

I see that it's a FF6 style thing, and a bunch of 'reviews' whining and whining about how you have 8 little stories instead of a big baddie. Eh.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's nothing like FF6 despite them saying that it's inspired by it at some point in time. It's completely its own game just with the aesthetic of a SNES RPG. It's also pretty good.

Glaucon

Prophet
Story seems interesting but the combat looks like standard JRPG fare and the graphics are beyond hideous. Whoever thought the 2.5d pixel art was a good idea should be fired from that company.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It's nothing like FF6 despite them saying that it's inspired by it at some point in time. It's completely its own game just with the aesthetic of a SNES RPG. It's also pretty good.

I'm not too interested.

I'm not much of a storyfag nowindays.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Story seems interesting but the combat looks like standard JRPG fare and the graphics are beyond hideous. Whoever thought the 2.5d pixel art was a good idea should be fired from that company.

IMO it's an interesting artstyle decision, although it could get annoying over a longer period of time.
I think its main problem is that it overuses some of the modern effects like bloom and glossy texture effect.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Started playing it. It's not much of a storyfag game, but it's really pretty in motion and the combat seems interesting. It's jap style TB, enemies have multiple weaknesses, if you find and exploit the weaknesses, the armor rating goes down and eventually stuns the enemies for a turn. The boss fights are pretty fun and the music is good

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I find the game to be pretty storygay. I mean the meat of the game is chasing after the next story segment for each of the 8 characters and doing side quests which are themselves mostly stories with multiple steps. It also has some elements of explorefaggotry where some side quests have multiple solutions and none of them have any kind of hand holding or quest markers so you're going to have to look around the entire world to complete some of them. Dungeons are basic if not a bit boring. The combat system is pretty good but the sub-classing breaks it a bit as you get coverage for all weaknesses which diminishes some of the difficulty.

It's a nice game. I wish it was a bit more difficult, though.

Hyperion

Arcane
Only played a couple hours. Started with H'aanit, the Hunter. Her speech style is incredibly aggravating, but her combat mechanic of capturing pretty much any ordinary monster you encounter to use a temporary attack makes her incredibly versatile, and gives her a bunch of options when it comes to exploiting weaknesses. Picked up Ophelia, the chaste, and oh-so-boring Cleric of the game in the game's snowy zone. Environments are gorgeous, music is equally as gud. Haven't gotten very far, but the dungeons / areas you look into are pretty simplistic. Very few twists and turns, don't expect Etrian Odyssey dungeons coming into this. Picked up a couple of side quests, with zero guidance. Basically just talk to them, get some intro info and be on your way to search everywhere or have a gud memory of some past conversations using each character's Path Action and hope for the best, since there are no quest markers. It's a bit refreshing.

Excited to keep going if only to see what the next boss looks like, because the designs so far have been pretty damn cool, if a little bit easy. Monsters seem to scale up to the number of characters in your party - I only have 2, but it's been a bit of a cakewalk. We'll see how much that changes down the road.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Getting my copy next week. I got a new card and it messed up my payment, so the order was delayed a couple of working days.

fish.heads

Novice
I've done the opening chapters of six out of the eight characters and thus far it seems pretty good, although those opening chapters have been pretty formulaic. The battle system is probably the best aspect of the game, unfortunately at least at this point it's a bit easy, it seems like the focus is intelligently managing, spending, and conserving BP in order to keep the enemy/enemies locked down as much as possible but unfortunately at least at this early point in the game normal enemies and even bosses just aren't quite enough of a threat for you to really think about what you're doing in combat that much. Maybe that'll change farther in though.

From a storyfag perspective my biggest complaint is that thus far there's been absolutely zero dialogue between the different characters, which feels very unnatural. Again though, hopefully that'll change further into the game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Olberic makes everything explode. My Olberic is level 35 and a buffed up Brand's Thunder does 12k damage vs bosses. I need to start rethinking the sub jobs for my other party members since Alfyn and Tressa exist solely to break enemies and boost Olberic's BWD with more BP. Alfyn has potential to be a high damage dealer as well but currently I have him subbed as a Thief which isn't really that great, apart from the speed boost skill.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Shitty game with focus on story > gameplay

The folly of JRPGs personified

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The graphics and the combat are actually the game's two best features.

I could play the demo but I'm lazy atm.

What is the combat like?
You take turns, there's a weapon triangle, and a meter fills that lets you do big attacks. That's what I remember from the demo I played.

They should have gone 2d all the way. If I had a switch, I think I'd buy it.

The "Wayfarer's Edition" comes with a cloth map.

A pop up book and night light too. I saw the cloth map, it looked p small for the cost of printing them.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom