Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview No Truce With The Furies Gameplay Footage on Twitch PAX East 2017 Broadcast

hivemind

PS:T had completely different themes than this game imo.

People immediately comparing any heavily story based game to PS:T triggers me so hard.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Don't be so shallow.

17786.jpg

or, more accurately, to PS:T's own 'spirit'

Risk taking. Quirky for quirky's sake. Zigging instead of zagging. Breaking the mold.

Edit: As AoD and Underrail have done. However I think this game promises more than they did.

daveyd

Savant
Not watching the video as I don't think I want even a small segment of the game spoiled in the slightest. Anyway, I already know I am going to buy the game and I hope I am going to enjoy it. It ticks a lot of boxes for me. The world needs more dialogue driven CRPGs, especially those set in somewhere other than generic medieval Europe fantasyland.

Prime Junta

If all you fashies aren't reading that circle of Scots Commie sci-fi/fantasy/New Weird writers, you're missing out big-time. China Miéville, Alastair Reynolds, Iain M. Banks, Ken MacLeod, Hal Duncan... they're all good.

Prime Junta

China Miéville

Someone hyped him to me a long time ago, I read Perdido Street Station and was somewhat disappointed.
Fucking hype.. Is he any better nowadays?

Depends on what your complaints are. Perdido Street was crazy long and baroque, and his later work is certainly less so. If you're not into that kind of thing, try The City and the City or Embassytown, perhaps you'll like them better.

(I also dig his Bas-Lag stuff, baroque as it is, although he has real trouble figuring out how to end a novel and he's especially confused about it in these ones.)

Stephane F.

Novice
If all you fashies aren't reading that circle of Scots Commie sci-fi/fantasy/New Weird writers, you're missing out big-time. China Miéville, Alastair Reynolds, Iain M. Banks, Ken MacLeod, Hal Duncan... they're all good.

You can also try Antoine Volodine, a french writer (of Russian ascendance) whose work melts communism, science fiction (post apo), chamanism / oriental mysticism, surrealism, dark humor...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Volodine

https://www.dalkeyarchive.com/antoine-volodines-writers-is-reviewed-at-3am-magazine/

https://thenewinquiry.com/essays/post-exotic-novels-nȯvelles-and-novelists-part-two/

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2015/07/08/from-nowhere-an-interview-with-antoine-volodine/

A sample of one his best (though not the most representative) books, here :

https://books.google.fr/books?id=4wpzioDWuXgC&pg=PP4&lpg=PP4&dq=antoine+volodine+french+writer&source=bl&ots=jV86ppX2IG&sig=voVewcs0cKhSnqlECcqgKjbh5tg&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiptcLz_tfSAhXHExoKHVeOCs0Q6AEIYTAJ#v=onepage&q=antoine volodine french writer&f=false

Last edited:

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
China Miéville

Someone hyped him to me a long time ago, I read Perdido Street Station and was somewhat disappointed.
Fucking hype.. Is he any better nowadays?

Depends on what your complaints are. Perdido Street was crazy long and baroque, and his later work is certainly less so. If you're not into that kind of thing, try The City and the City or Embassytown, perhaps you'll like them better.

(I also dig his Bas-Lag stuff, baroque as it is, although he has real trouble figuring out how to end a novel and he's especially confused about it in these ones.)
Right now I'm nose deep in his short stories in Three Moments of an Explosion. It's all very weird, but what I like the most are his characters - they don't strike me as artificial. A good book to begin with Mieville, I think. I haven't read far enough to see if there are any Bas-lag storiea in it.

PJ mentioned a cadre of other writers - McLeod rings a bell, but I can't remember if I've read anything from him without googling him first. I haven't read Hal Duncan.

Reynolds' books are entertaining (over the years I've read most of what he's written), but at some point I was put off by the cookie cutter characters and monotonous dialogues - things that really work in Three Moments of...

Iain Banks
on the other hand - his work has always been very inspirational. Great sci-fi, imo. Player of Games is always cited as his best in the Culture series. Inversions is one of my favourites.

Thanks, Stephane F., for the recs!

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Right now I'm nose deep in his short stories in Three Moments of an Explosion. It's all very weird, but what I like the most are his characters - they don't strike me as artificial. A good book to begin with Mieville, I think. I haven't read far enough to see if there are any Bas-lag storiea in it.

PJ mentioned a cadre of other writers - McLeod rings a bell, but I can't remember if I've read anything from him without googling him first. I haven't read Hal Duncan.

Ken MacLeod writes somewhat strange anarcho-Trotskyite-politpunk, although he has an unfortunate tendency to devolve into saving the world by arguing Marxist philosophy over a pint somewhere, which strikes me as somewhat limited as far as revolutionary programs/plot resolutions go although I suppose you write what you know about.

The Star Fraction at least is worth a read. It's about a mercenary company called the Felix Dzerzhinsky Workers' Self-Defence Collective, who mostly does wet work for insurance companies. The protag is called Moh Kohn. He talks to his rifle a lot. The world is well thought-out and pretty funky; London is a conglomeration of self-governing neighbourhoods, Israel has dropped a couple of nukes on Germany, and Kazakhstan's main industry free-market nuclear deterrence. I didn't care as much for the rest of the series; it went a bit too far into posthuman/post-Singularity weird for my blood.

Hal Duncan's Vellum was great. The sequel, Ink, not so much IMO.

Reynolds' books are entertaining (over the years I've read most of what he's written), but at some point I was put off by the cookie cutter characters and monotonous dialogues - things that really work in Three Moments of...

Reynolds' main problem is that he doesn't know how to end stories either. It always ends up in a dead precursor alien civilisation's star-system-scale ruins.

I really liked his Blue Remembered Earth trilogy though, up to the point where it ended up in that usual place anyway.

Iain Banks on the other hand - his work has always been very inspirational. Great sci-fi, imo. Player of Games is always cited as his best in the Culture series. Inversions is one of my favourites.

Thanks, Stephane F., for the recs!

I didn't really care for Inversions. Player of Games is great, but I liked Use of Weapons even better. IMO Banks is a tiny bit overrated to tell you the truth -- his best stuff is really good but a lot of his books have a whiff of potboiler IMO. I think he would have done better by spending two years on each novel instead of writing one a year.

He is sorely missed.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
He is sorely missed.
Yes he is - his cancer came and took him quite suddenly.

I like Banks mostly because, when you compare him to his contemporaries, he is so obscure in places and allows you to make your own connections. The first one, which was my favourite when I was a teenager - Consider Phlebas - is closest to the action packed stories that are more common in recent sci-fi. because of that I've dug into the classics now and I'm having fun with Ursula K. Le Guin.

Because of the TV series I got curious and wolfed down James S.A. Corey's books a few months ago, but that is just that so-called libtard nonsense and simple page-turner with no really interesting ideas.

I think I'm slowly beginning to realize that I dislike certain character-centric sci-fi. The Expanse series is a good example of that, and Reynolds and Baxter often fall into that category as well. Banks's characters are always curious and mostly retain their unique character and agendas.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

I thought the Expanse series was okay, but nothing more than that; also the series went downhill fast after the first volume. Easy reading though, and I liked what they did with the Belt habitats. I didn't know there was a TV series, should maybe check that out. (Don't watch much TV.)

Another one I really liked is Felix Gilman. I especially liked The Half-Made World. It has a few curious parallels with No Truce's world as a matter of fact...

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I thought the Expanse series was okay, but nothing more than that; also the series went downhill fast after the first volume. Easy reading though, and I liked what they did with the Belt habitats. I didn't know there was a TV series, should maybe check that out. (Don't watch much TV.)

Another one I really liked is Felix Gilman. I especially liked The Half-Made World. It has a few curious parallels with No Truce's world as a matter of fact...
The Belt and Belter topics started to look more and more like Black Lives Matter - especially in the series. BLM is a different topic, but I think the parallels between that and some other current (western world) issues rather banal and in your face.

I haven't heard of Gilman's Half-Made World. What parallels do you have in mind - the quirky alt-technology (I gleaned as much from Wikipedia)?

Prime Junta

The Belt and Belter topics started to look more and more like Black Lives Matter - especially in the series. BLM is a different topic, but I think the parallels between that and some other current (western world) issues rather banal and in your face.

Yeah, it got pretty heavy-handed, especially after the first volume. And the characters started to wear thin; that damn pork-pie hat coming up all the time. Even so, I liked the way the off-world habitats were described.

I haven't heard of Gilman's Half-Made World. What parallels do you have in mind - the quirky alt-technology (I gleaned as much from Wikipedia)?

The Pale actually. Not the same, but similar: there's a nothingness at the edges of the world, with things continuously being created from it and disappearing into it.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer

Yeah, it got pretty heavy-handed, especially after the first volume. And the characters started to wear thin; that damn pork-pie hat coming up all the time. Even so, I liked the way the off-world habitats were described.

Low-fi space habitats were interesting in Neal Stephensons Seveneves. The first half of the book deals with the aftermath of an apocalyptic event where mankind has to move to space. The second deals with post-humanist topics - I haven't finished the second half yet, but I did enjoy the first.

The Pale actually. Not the same, but similar: there's a nothingness at the edges of the world, with things continuously being created from it and disappearing into it.
Ah, alright. I think a similar element has been used by other authors as well - a sort of chaos that births various creations and devours others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom