Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview No Truce With The Furies Gameplay Footage on Twitch PAX East 2017 Broadcast

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Marat Sar
This footage, without context, seems like a strange choice for promoting the game. Besides pretty graphics and extensive VO we haven't seen much and the quest itself is underwhelming to say the least. I mean, scribbling on a wall? Really? If you want to include mundane tasks I would prefer something like operating a lathe or fixing an electric engine (so technical inclination, who cares about art?) and doing something useful. It's probably one of these games you'll have to play to understand and no (p)review will do it justice. Seems to me that selling such unique game will be an extremely difficult task. So far it seems like the edgiest RPG ever created (a policeman is writing "fuck the police", brilliant, exquisite, so witty, true art™).

BTW, will it matter what we'll write there? Because no matter what you'll write it's still vandalism (even if one would write "do not scribble on this wall").
I agree that for some viewers lacking context might be a problem with this segment.

Our goal with this was to show that there are different ways you can perceive the world other than through a technical eye - interfacing with a lathe or fixing an electric engine is nothing new from numerous other games, both role playing ones and not. Interacting with the world on a more abstract level - through "art" - on the other hand - is different. Basically you can go on a tangent and learn something about yourself. This segment was too short and some bits that might clarify its significance were cut because of our airtime restrictions, but what this does is allow you to do try and make sense of your role in the grand scheme of things.

The video's resolution might make it difficult, but if you squint real hard to de-cypher the enigmatic pixels, perhaps you'll see that "FUCK THE POLICE" was a single option among a few others. Different ones spike different reactions from your companions or in your own thoughts and there was even an option to walk away - at any point during this sequence you could have dropped it - in the very beginning you could have reigned in your conceptual enthusiasm and continued on being a "real detective" that focuses strictly on regular old police work.

GelGel

Educated
It's looks great, much more then I expected. Voice acting is just fine for me, I only hope that the game has many different environments (not only urban areas).

Looking forward to play this in 2017!

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
It's looks great, much more then I expected. Voice acting is just fine for me, I only hope that the game has many different environments (not only urban areas).

Looking forward to play this in 2017!
Thanks - it´s all by the coast - so obviously you'll be close to water a lot, but there are indeed different areas that are not all in the city.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where the fuck on the material is it? It is damn 8 hours, guys.

EDIT: NEVERMIND, I found out that it point's where is it.

It is really nice, damn! I like voice acting, the "sidekick" seems to be fairly not bad guy. Graphic looks nice, the dialogues aren't bleak either, as far as it is there.

Don't look on the twich chat, though... Bunch of fucking retards. "EDGY." Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Well, it looks great but I have to agree that from a marketing perspective this was 100% the wrong clip to show.

I disagree. The kind of people who are likely to like it, likely did. The kind who likely didn't like it, likely won't. Everyone wins.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Well, it looks great but I have to agree that from a marketing perspective this was 100% the wrong clip to show.
I think it was nicely in contrast with all the BOING! BAP! DERP! games that preceded it.

This is actually an interesting problem - showing off the gameplay of an isometric cRPG in video. IMO, the best video about one was the T:ToN story trailer and they really relied on cutscenes and other bells and whistles. The new X-COMs started using "cinematic shots" to amp up the visual appeal, that works fine in a trailer, but really sucks while you´re playing the game.

Would you have preferred clips where I looted a container, then opened up inventory to equip some shoes I found in a dumpster? This is already a given when it comes to role playing games - yeah, you can play dress-up. What else is left? Agrily zoom in and out of scenes where the characters do some special animations? That´s all a lot of man hours we should be putting into developing the game - we are not a big-ish team of 50 men and women strong...

If you have ideas, shoot!

Edit: I looked over some other trailers once more - and it really is just cameras zooming and zipping wildly, characters doing combat animations (zomg, all those colourful spell effects!) or running as the camera zooms in or zooms out - it is like flipping the pages of a book in front of a camera to give you a taste of the book's pacing. It is not really indicative of actual gameplay. Actual gameplay is really about taking your time to explore. It is about looking at the world at your own pace and flicking between the various menus like journal/inventory/thought cabinet at leisure. You either read the dialogues or you power through them to get your "Updated my Journal" voice over and little icon to move along.

Last edited:

Mychkine

Educated
Reading about the game, it could be a better spiritual successor to PS:T game than T:ToN seems to be, according to the player's response (I'm waiting for a few months/years hoping the game will be salvaged by some kind of enhenced edition).

Prime Junta

Speaking of animations, the pose he struck while measuring the wall with his brush was majestic :incline:.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Those of you who told that it is more than you expected, you are hyped etc - where were your eyes and brains before?
I'm not hyped a bit, because it is exactly I expected - if I can use this word, because I do not make any expectations, assumptions - better word.

Also I agree that for mass audience it woudn't be right material, but I not sure they are aiming a mass market. ))
It was meant for those who don't think that roleplaying in Skyrim is best possible roleplaying at all.

(zomg, all those colourful spell effects!)
:lol: I hate it too Kasparov, me too.

it is like flipping the pages of a book in front of a camera to give you a taste of the book's pacing.
That was hilarious. :lol:

Last edited:

tripedal

Augur

Take a look at the L.A. Noire trailers, I think they're pretty good. Obviously it's not an isometric RPG, but they do a good job of showing off the atmosphere and police procedural aspects. Maybe show someone lying, and the player using some combination of evidence/skills/mind cabinet to get them to talk?

Marat Sar

ZA/UM
Developer
I don't feel like the marketing sense of this video can -- or needs -- to be defended. We have all those things: snappy animations, loud sounds, different environments, flashy menus that open with snappy animations, suspenseful music, zoom, panning camera motion, dudes shooting other dudes in the face, blood, meaty low register VO. We even have a batman-ish detective vision thing. We're that cheap. But at this moment I want to share odd things -- if anything at all. Things that make it interesting for us to develop the game. Things that don't show our hand completely.

It's not like there's a shortage of opportunities to show our game. Or that humble bundle doesn't know the industry.

Are there any strategical gameplay mechanics, or is it entirely text-driven?

I suggest you check out Prime Junta's preview and the comments I've made to it. In short: it's text driven -- but the text is strategic.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
  • Doomdog19 : If it was like Icewind Dale or Neverwinter Knights, wouldn't be that bad.

No, it's like this game called "Planescape: Torment"; have you ever heard of it?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Would you have preferred clips where I looted a container, then opened up inventory to equip some shoes I found in a dumpster? This is already a given when it comes to role playing games - yeah, you can play dress-up. What else is left? Agrily zoom in and out of scenes where the characters do some special animations? That´s all a lot of man hours we should be putting into developing the game - we are not a big-ish team of 50 men and women strong...

A sex scene would definitely garner attention.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom