Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Viata

Arcane
Even if this game sucks, is short, boring or whatever, I'll still buy it. And the reason I'll do so is my way of saying: "Yes, I want different kinds of crpg and yes, I'll pay for them!". Also, the thing I love the most in indie devs is these bits of dev diary that you hardly see in mainstream games. It keeps you hype high instead of a trailer every 6 months.

gaussgunner

Arcane
- Smells like JRPG
So does your mother.
:butthurt:
But seriously, JRPG(ish) games seem pretty popular on the Codex. At least you won't get the dreaded [Anime] tag :D

B. We're a small team - would you rather we hang out on twitch and talk shop all day or would you like your coders to code, designers to design and writers to write? We believe that a (moving) picture tells more than a thousand words. We're working our asses off to get the best material to you that'll do justice to what we want the final product to be like.
Yeah, don't waste your time on that bullshit. Also if you second-guess your decisions in response to every shit talker, you'll end up taking 10 years to finish your game... like some other devs I know of...

C. Well, yes. Kind of. I personally think that traditional cRPG combat is a chaotic stream of very short cutscenes with no dialogue at all or brief floating messages and squishy sounds with dice rolls thown in.
True, if your game is totally story-driven, long combat interludes would ruin it.
That Articy screenshot... is the whole game basically driven by 1 big dialogue tree?
Whatever works, as long as it's fun to play...

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Even if this game sucks, is short, boring or whatever, I'll still buy it. And the reason I'll do so is my way of saying: "Yes, I want different kinds of crpg and yes, I'll pay for them!". Also, the thing I love the most in indie devs is these bits of dev diary that you hardly see in mainstream games. It keeps you hype high instead of a trailer every 6 months.
Agree with every word.
After I read such texts like this, more kind of windows than text, I feel myself connected with something that usually deep inside another person.
I feel unformed thoughts that roaming in my head, have a subtle feeling that is about to happen something important and I will understand something important.
This is how brain activity look like. ))

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
Torment probably could've done with skill/ability/spell/whatever checks bypassing a lot of the combat esp the trash areas that are just annoying

Prime Junta

Since we're talking detective stuff... I recently took L.A. Noire for a spin. I initially liked it but ended up dropping it somewhere in Vice, as the illusion of actually doing an investigation evaporated.

(1) I liked the general mechanic of hunting for physical clues and then using them in interviews. The basic "truth/doubt/lie" thing could/should be replaced with proper dialog though.
(2) I did not like it that you couldn't effectively fail an investigation: they were ultimately just corridors where you ticked boxes and moved on to the next one.
(3) I especially did not like that very very often the game failed to communicate properly. For example, there was one case where I had a whole mound of physical evidence tying one person of interest to a burglary series -- two rings, a cigarette case, some other stuff I forget; at least four or five items in total. When you confront a POI about lying, you have to present evidence to prove it. The game required me to present one specific item among them, and there was no way (other than trial and error through save-reload) to figure out which one the game wanted.

I.e.: I would very much want the investigation outcomes to be more open-ended (i.e., you can come to a number of different conclusions, only one of which is right, or not be able to close a case at all), and I would want the game to be very clear about presentation. Make the cases themselves hard to crack; don't make us struggle with the way the stuff is presented.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pretty much what annoyed me about L. A. Noire. Quite possible that ye olde adventure games are more competent at investigative shit than the game with the most life-like facial expressions yet.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pretty much what annoyed me about L. A. Noire. Quite possible that ye olde adventure games are more competent at investigative shit than the game with the most life-like facial expressions yet.
L.A noire depend too much into its gimmick, the facial expressions imo. it was pretty decent, but as prime said, it has its fair share of flaws.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
l-a-noire-melafo-o.gif

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Smells like JRPG
So does your mother.
Wow, you nailed Codex speak after just a few posts, kudos.
:greatjob:

Love what I'm seeing so far and can't wait to see what you can do with a real writer and also really good artists.

Btw, "No Truce with the Furries by Western Civilization Defense Squad Fortress Occident"?
Dunno if that's intentional but anyway:
:excellent:

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
That Articy screenshot... is the whole game basically driven by 1 big dialogue tree?
Whatever works, as long as it's fun to play...
Think of our writers as druids with mossy beards tending a big-ass grove of big-ass trees.

so im curious how is 'detective work' narrative done(forgive me for asking if I missed info about it). -snip-
Possibly observations gated behind skills checks/previous actions?
Eventually, Marat Sar will hopefully get back to you on this one. Personally - the Witcher 3 approach was rather lackluster. And not all cases are murder cases. From what I´ve gleaned peeking over some shoulders here at the studio - the perception orb can be a hint.

Western Civilization Defense Squad Fortress Occident"?
Dunno if that's intentional
Why, we are the last stand between the Western Civilization and the Far-Eastern conquerors out to get us. Those pesky Far-Easterners... We only ask for your wives and daughters as tribute.

Your author mentioned he wrote opera libretti. Did any of it actually get performed ever?
I asked him and he had this to say about it:

Andreas W said:
Actually, that´s a work in progress. I wrote the libretto for an opera that will premiere at the Estonian national opera theater “Estonia” (what a surprise, that name!) in 2018. It is common for an opera production to take a long time - the orchestra, choir and ballet dancers can be more stubborn in the face of direction than characters that are being written for a video game.

Now, you should avoid picturing a classical opera. The creatives behind the production are members of MIMproject (LINK) - a group that specializes in technological performative arts. The website has a subsection in English, but is little more than a draft.

Basically the opera is like a physical video game set on the big stage. For example some of the music will be played off a large stone disk, a 100-kilogram slab of limestone. The music is in the cracks, grooves and imperfections of the stone that is then read by a mechanical tone arm; and so on.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I have a question.
What is a correct translaton of "Revachol" on Russian?
Is it "Ревашоль" - it is how RPG CORE translated it, or maybe Ревачоль? which have slight latin-amirican tinge?
I noticed on the map in devlog, that there aresuch districts as Jamrock, and Villalobos, so maybe it is even "Ривачиоль"?
Also, the same question about Robert Kurvitz - is it Роберт Курвиц or diffrent?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Роберт Курвиц is phonetically all right.

I'd write Revachol as "Ревашол" or perhaps with a tverdyi znak in the end (although I think it's redundant on its own, right?) and definitely without a myagkii znak.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Thank you and another question due to my forgetfulness.
What about Martinaise?

"Мартинес" sounds just like surname, maybe "Мартиниз" or "Мартинайз"?

Last edited:

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
You could PM me a list of names and I'll run them by Роберт and get back to you. Thanks for taking the time, man!

Martinaise would be "Мартинэз"

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't know how to PM here lol (is it "start a Conversation"?).
Thank me?
No! Thank YOU for making a game for us.
These days making a game as a honest man, not PR-bot is a подвижничество don't know English analogue.
You are a modern days monks in your monasticism.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haha Estonian is far harder than Slavic -- it's Fenno-Ugric.
It's more about the lack of good materials to learn than the language being hard itself.
(All of the following comes from the assumption that Estonian is very similar to Finnish)

This is only partly true.
I'm currently learning Finnish. Well, it's resting a bit at the moment, as moving there takes up most of my time right now, but I did learn for about a year and will continue with it after September. Probably for many, many years.

It is true that learning Finnish is party hard because of a lack of good materials. All those (pretty good!) websites with small lectures, masses of exercises, subtitled movies, games, etc.
Everything you usually use to learn a language such as English, French, German, Spanish (? Not sure, this one's a guess) simply by consuming stuff in it that are of your interest anyway.
It doesn't exist for Finnish. And if it doesn't exist for big brother Suomi, it won't for little brother Eesti.

It's basically down to less than a couple of grammar books. And if you are capable of learning a language by just reading a grammar book, you have my respect. I know I can't.
So... you basically have to come up with your own training program, get the help of some natives, etc.
Yeah, the lack of material makes it harder.

BUT...
The mere fact that Finnish (and thus Estonian) has absolutely nothing in common with any other language (except Estonian, maybe Hungarian) is what lifts the difficulty more significantly than lack of good material.
When you know a language that is partly based on / influenced by any Germanic / Latin language (as most western languages are), learning another from that family is much easier as you already know quite a lot from your own language. Words are often similar, as are grammatical rules, etc.
Basically, you learn the language starting from 0 here. As a baby would. Just that your brain is not empty any more - and thus much harder to fill with new things.

Oh, and if Estonian is as similar to Finnish as you always hear, it is a horrible mess of an extremely large number of grammar rules (and sub rules, and exceptions from sub rules) and is in dire need of a language reformation (like German had multiple times in the last 200 years).

Bottom line, if you are not crazy about learning a hard language, don't even start.

Oops. Thread derailed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom