Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A hype-ship is so much cooler than a hype-train.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Y u do dis, man. Y u stil mah preshes karma. Me do dis.
y_u_do_dis.jpg

Last edited:

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Some reading for the week-end. Thanks, Infinitron! (And thank you, P. Junta for typing it up!)

Last edited:
Unwanted

Fin

Unwanted
Edgy
I want to be hyped for this game, but the fact it's being made for mobile is troubling.
mobile device ie a tablet like an iPad or an android device - no phones.

Remember Beamdog's BG remakes?
Those games were made on pc first, then ported to mobile at a lter date thia game seems to be made for both which can be troubling as tablet ui can hold it back.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I want to be hyped for this game, but the fact it's being made for mobile is troubling.
mobile device ie a tablet like an iPad or an android device - no phones.

Remember Beamdog's BG remakes?
Those games were made on pc first, then ported to mobile at a lter date thia game seems to be made for both which can be troubling as tablet ui can hold it back.

I've said it elsewhere as well and I'll repeat it here for posterity's sake - we're concentrating on PC at this time.

Tablet is after, not unlike Beamdog in that sense. If you discount the writing and other design decisions.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
While the Preview thead (LINK) is still booming and discussions run hot on political topics interspersed with the occasional ad hominem jab - all in the best traditions of the Codex - I wish to grace this board with another dev blog update. This week it's typed up by ZA/UM writer Helen:

WHEELCHAIR COMPANION?
HELEN HINDPERE

What you can see here are the capeside apartments, Rue de Saint-Gislaine 33A to be precise. The pier below has my favourite piece of urban romanticism from the game – the plaque reads: “Docking reserved for residents of: Rue de Saint-Gislaine 33A.” Simple technical worldbuilding.

Revachol’s waterfront and the surrounding islands of Ozonne and Archipelagos have civilian boat traffic. Modern Revachol – a “gossamer state”, an occupied territory where only international and property law is enforced – has developed a rich culture of waterways. People drive boats like they drive bicycles. Well, rich people do. Poor people can’t afford boats.

That’s just the facts of life, sunshine.

Another word on the screenshot – it shows off our antecentennial architecture style. Havana-inspired stuff from before the turn of the century. It’s pretty bombed out now, war torn and without renovation for 40 years. We started work on the style before Dishonored 2’s campaign started, so the similarities are coincidental, stemming from common inspiration I guess. Also, we have wildly varying architectural styles in Revachol, the antecentennial is just one of them.

Other than the disturbing lack of spumes and particle effects – the “water tech” is half finished – we’re pretty happy with this one.

A word on the HUD (heads-up display) maybe? It’s still very much a work in progress. But this is the first iteration we’re not embarrassed to show. On the portraits, the red bars are Endurance and the blue bars are Volition.

About those portraits – the third one in line is the one I wanted to talk about: Lena, the cryptozoologist’s wife. She’s into cryptids, the fabled hidden animals. And the whole world in general, not only the hidden part of it. If you take a closer look at the three characters standing underneath the red paint, you’ll see that one of them is in a wheelchair. That one would be Lena.

Since we have a modern setting, we can have people in wheelchairs. Ypa! This one is a fancy, gas powered, electric motor driven wheelchair. (The wheelchair pushing animation would be too much of a hassle, plus the gas powered engine has a nice sound to it.) So we’re thinking – what if we had a wheelchair companion? We like Lena, she’s turning out nice. She’s presented us with an interesting thought experiment. How would Lena as a squadmate work?

Currently – not so well. A gossamer state does not lay wheelchair ramps over the ruins of its monarchist past. Traversing the map becomes an instant problem. We had a look at Martinaise proper and most of it is already barricaded with those stairs that isometric level design loves so much. The rest has … navmesh problems. So we’re currently thinking of making Lena into a temporary companion for an atmospheric stroll kind of side-quest. Prototype it. Then maybe expand it into a more fleshed out thing in the future? Those navigational restrictions have some interesting gameplay and exploration possibilities …

Anyway, these are just thoughts. It’s not guaranteed we’ll get her in there at all. It would need to be a smooth experience. There are a lot of crazy what-if’s that keep it on “Maybe?” list as of now. Just wanted to clear that up so y’all don’t expect her as a squadmate and then get angry when the gossamer state’s “who-gives-a-fuck” social policy cuts her navmesh.

Prime Junta

Very cool.

I can also visualise your animator committing seppuku at the idea of having to animate dragging the chair up or down those chairs.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Very cool.

I can also visualise your animator committing seppuku at the idea of having to animate dragging the chair up or down those chairs.
Yeah I don´t know if you noticed while playing, that Kim occasionally pulled odd dance moves while navigating the cobbled streets of Martinaise. Navigation is one of those things that didn´t come nicely packaged with Unity and still has kinks that need to be ironed out. I made a note that even Pillars couldn´t quite rid themselves of Edér getting stuck while navigating a bunch of mobs (or a big rock) when you needed him most in the front. Would be cool to exchange notes at one point :D

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Yeah I don´t know if you noticed while playing, that Kim occasionally pulled odd dance moves while navigating the cobbled streets of Martinaise.

It looked fine to me, but then I've probably been inured to this sort of thing as it's rarely perfect.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Dualpost!
For those who are interested in some moving pictures - if you´re lucky, you could get a glimpse at No Truce With the Furies as part of the Humble Bundle Twitch stream if you tune in on the following address at 11:30 Boston time:

https://www.gamecrate.com/watch-all-pax-east-2017-fun-live/15754

:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

For us poor suckers not in Boston that means Humble Bundle will go live at around 18:30 ZAUM Studio time, in Moscow that is 19:30, Berlin 17:30, London 16:30 ... you get it. Do the math.

LwEHyC5.jpg

Last edited:

The Fish

Arcane
I liked the voice acting. We've had so much shit dialogue and acting in games for so long, hopefully this one shows value in story and character. The recent walking simulators and RPGs certainly don't make a good case for story driven games compared to system driven ones.

It's good to see more european stuff as well. The cost of proper localisations and the sheer scale of north american output means that american tastes dominate, meaning we have to put up with all too many charmless smarmy fucks and bull dykes. Just look at Nier, an occasionally pensive feminine robot turned into an overconfident butch tart, because that's the way americans like it, apparently. Or the games littered with unfunny self-satisfied twats like Nathan Drake.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

I liked Kim Kitsuragi's voice actor, although he did sound a bit like he's reading from a paper from time to time. The graffiti artist's wasn't great.

(Failing that red check was a bit disappointing by the way. Not as funny as the two failures I had, and also it looks a lot like the fail had no consequences -- I got muh paint.)

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I liked the voice acting. We've had so much shit dialogue and acting in games for so long, hopefully this shows value in story and character. The recent walking simulators and RPGs certainly don't make a good case for story focused games above system driven ones.
Just pointing it out that it's all alpha stage and is liable to change in the upcoming months. This includes the voices.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom