Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

Mustawd

Dumbest shit I ever heard. Stop being such a baby.

I agree that hiding behind a discourse to justify piracy is ridiculous. I pirate shit all the time, but I would never think it is justified. I could very well live without all the shit I pirate, but I do it anyway. Why? Because I can. Sometimes I purchase stuff that I've pirated (quite often these days), sometimes I don't. But I think the main point is - people pirate because they can, and should stop being bitches about it.

Mustawd

Wtf is wrong with this new generation of kids?

Back in the warez days we all knew it was stealing.

You'd find a warez, download it (aka steal for you babies), try to open it, realize we need winrar, download winrar, try to open it, realize we need to right click and extract it, extract it, and then click on the .exe to find out it was a virus or a shitty crack that didn't work.

It was stealing then and it's stealing now. I swear, you kids have no sense of personal responsibilty for anything you do. Just floating through space and time taking up space and breathing in all the precious oxygen through your neckbearded mouths.

Christ. Am I roqua now? I think I'm roqua now.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I agree that hiding behind a discourse to justify piracy is ridiculous. I pirate shit all the time, but I would never think it is justified. I could very well live without all the shit I pirate, but I do it anyway. Why? Because I can. Sometimes I purchase stuff that I've pirated (quite often these days), sometimes I don't. But I think the main point is - people pirate because they can, and should stop being bitches about it.
No one's hiding behind anything. No one's justifying anything.

But piracy is not theft. It's copyright infringement. You can't have a sensible discussion when the terms being used are wrong.

Mustawd

It's copyright infringement. You can't have a sensible discussion when the terms being used are wrong.

Guys, I tried going into a movie theater without paying but they wouldn't let me. I told them it wasn't theft, just copyright infringement. They disagreed and kicked me out. So unfair.

What an imbecile. Aren't you an accountant?

Why? Do you wish to become one?

No one's hiding behind anything. No one's justifying anything. But piracy is not theft.

:hmmm:

When did this weird mental gymnastics that piracy is not theft take place? I don't recall this attitude was present when pirates first started. It's so immature and childish. Very strange.

EDIT: Actually...considering it's always 3rd worlders and kids who justify it, then maybe it makes sense in a way. In terms of why the attitude exists. Not in that I agree with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
When did this weird mental gymnastics that piracy is not theft take place?

Looks like mental gymnastics to call it theft. Do you call theft everything that's illegal but have no better name for it?
Do you know why murder is not called rape? Because it's not.

Or does this give you the feeling of moral superiority towards those who don't call it theft? Wow, such morals, you "admit" it's theft. Cool story, bro. If you're so tough and mature why don't you turn yourself in?

Mustawd

Or does this give you the feeling of moral superiority towards those who don't call it theft?

Makes me feel more grown up, yes. Only a petulant child would say it's not. But I guess I should not be surprised. Even 12 year old me knew it was theft back then. Maturity is understanding that you are breaking the law and that there are consequences. You accept those consequences if caught. Not like a little kid who blames everyone but him/herself.

Look like mental gymnastics to call it theft. Do you call theft everything that's illegal but have no better name for it?

Ummm, no. What gave you that idea? If I speed, I break a traffic law. If I hack a wifi connection I'm stealing internet and pretty sure I'm violating some kind of privacy law that I might get sued for if caught. If I pirate I steal.

I knew that already.

If you were to steal a car, would you blame the cops? Or the law? No, you should blame yourself for being caught and accept that you knew you were doing something that was illegal.

Mustawd

Nobody is trying to justify anything you cretin

It's not stealing if nothing was removed.
But piracy is not theft. It's copyright infringement.
Looks like mental gymnastics to call it theft. Do you call theft everything that's illegal but have no better name for it?

^justifications and weird ass logic.

I never understand why pirates insist on the moral high ground. Cmon guys. We are pirates. Just act like it.

If you're a 3rd worlder and are poor or are a kid and are poor, then go ahead and pirate. I don't care. It's just strange to me that you think there's nothing wrong with it. As if you pirating is a favor to someone.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Except there are no consequences for piracy that isn't retail, corporate or facilitating distribution unless you live in a cucked country.

I'm not trying to justify anything because I don't need to, moron.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The only game I've ever pirated was ME3 but bioware owed me after ME2 and DA2.

I also pirated DE:HR for some reason. Bought it on steam after I finished it though.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Nobody is trying to justify anything you cretin

It's not stealing if nothing was removed.
But piracy is not theft. It's copyright infringement.

^justifications and weird ass logic.

I never understand why pirates insist on the moral high ground. Cmon guys. We are pirates. Just act like it.

If you're a 3rd worlder and are poor or are a kid and are poor, then go ahead and pirate. I don't care. It's just strange to me that you think there's nothing wrong with it. As if you pirating is a favor to someone.

Sticking it to the kike-dyke mafia in charge of fagging up videogames by stealing their shit is one of the most moral acts young white people can engage in. Internet pirates should be paraded around town on the shoulders of firemen and police officers like fuckin heroes.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Actually, as far as I know, copyright infringement is defined as the theft of ideas or the execution of said ideas. Also, piracy is theft, because the holder of the copyright receives no payment, while the pirate recieves a product, digital or not. I have nothing against pirates or piracy especially if something is being overcharged for or if the original creator(s) will not be getting the money that is spent. But it still is, in legal terms, theft.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wtf is wrong with this new generation of kids?

Back in the warez days we all knew it was stealing.

You'd find a warez, download it (aka steal for you babies), try to open it, realize we need winrar, download winrar, try to open it, realize we need to right click and extract it, extract it, and then click on the .exe to find out it was a virus or a shitty crack that didn't work.

It was stealing then and it's stealing now. I swear, you kids have no sense of personal responsibilty for anything you do. Just floating through space and time taking up space and breathing in all the precious oxygen through your neckbearded mouths.
That's a stand-up guy right there.

If I pirate I steal.
I was a kid... No parents, no home. Running messages and picking pockets to keep my ribs from meeting my spine.

It's a huge subject, so I'll only say this. On a moral level, I don't feel guilty of pirating most of the games I've pirated and didn't later buy. On the other hand, more than once I've felt sorry for buying a game without pirating it beforehand. I believe that the other side of the piracy coin is developers/publishers/media serving as PR, who deliberately misinform the audience. People should be able to try a game, up to 1/3 of its content maybe, before they make a decision whether to buy it or not. And this should not be looked down upon. Because it didn't use to be, if you think about it. Does anyone remember the term "shareware"? That was a fair way to market your game. Then we switched to "Demo versions" and then we got the shit we have today.

I grew up in the 90s and I have the solid conviction that whatever is on my hard drive belongs to me and fuck everyone else - the OS, the office suite, Photoshop, the games, everything. My hard drive, I'll do whatever I want with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom