Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
People with money are idiots. Eventually people without money will come for their heads or they will need to kill them before and not have anyone earn them money (read: be their wage slaves).
Or we will get one of the dystopian futures SF writers like to write about

Alex

Arcane
This piracy debate about what is moral or not is a complex one, where everyone pro or against is full of shit. You can only be full of shit if you are talking about this. Between those who say that :

-Piracy is bad, period. Instead, you should encourage copyright speculation and give money to GoG so that it can go in the pockets of absolutely nobody who developped the game.
-Don't pirate games that are almost absolutely impossible to find, you can buy those second hand after all, and you can enjoy this Magnetic Scrolls game for the low price of 430 € : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/MYTH-by-MAGN...919508?hash=item3aba40e9d4:g:lgcAAOxyP4dTd03h
-those who say that piracy is bad and who use adblock on every website, because, you know, at least it's not illegal
-I WILL NEVER PIRATE A GAME ! Shit, is the new Game of Thrones episode out ?
-I never pirate shit, but I'll never buy a game that's not selling at 85% !
-I never pirate shit, buy my software full price

Fuck, you could even argue that you're destroying the industry with some purchases, and that by pirating software, you have more money for hardware, food, going to restaurants or see a concert and are therefore helping a whole fuckload of other industries. See ? You're moral again.

You talk about morals, then use results to argue about it. What makes one action moral or not aren't the results, but whether the action itself is well ordered. Piracy, strictly speaking, is bad because it inflicts into the ownership rights of someone. Arguing that not having piracy would have bad consequences does nothing to disprove that.

There is no answer to this debate. Just do your shit, don't do it, but yes, don't try to justify it, and by it, I also mean "do everything legally" too.

If by this debate you mean whether piracy has good aspects for the industry, or even whether it is a net profit for whomever, then I agree. There are too many things we can't account correctly when considering these things and while someone who worked in the industry might have a much clearer idea, you can't really have hard proofs. The question of whether it is moral or not, however, is something that can be argued.

https://torrentfreak.com/hang-on-3dm-now-suggest-theyve-cracked-denuvo-160211/

With the video games market excited at the prospect of 3DM taking a year-long break, the Chinese cracking group has just thrown a wrench in the works. According to 3DM's leader, speculation that her team can't beat Denuvo has proven too much and they now appear determined to publish a solution, albeit in unorthodox fashion.

bird-sis.jpg
Hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of video games players around the world obtain their fix from pirate sources. It’s been that way for more than 30 years, only the numbers have grown over time.

However, in the ‘old days’ people could do most of their copying at home, with a couple of cassette decks or software to shift data between 5.25″ floppy disks. But times have changed and although piracy still exists, people now largely rely on a tiny number of so-called ‘cracking’ experts to break copy protection for them.

One of those groups is Chinese outfit 3DM who in recent years have delighted pirate gamers with free copies of some of the world’s greatest titles. Technology companies have always done their best to thwart groups like 3DM and earlier this year came the most promising news to date.

Out of the blue, 3DM announced that the latest iteration of the infamous Denuvo anti-tamper technology had proven so resistant that in a couple of years PC games piracy might become non-existent.

Then, just a couple of weeks later, 3DM put the icing on the cake when they announced that in order to let the official games market breathe, they would be taking a year off from cracking games.

With games producers everywhere super excited at the prospect of a market free from the nuisance of 3DM, optimism of a boosted-revenue future was high. However, while it seems 3DM can deliver surprise gifts with one hand, apparently they can just as easily take them away with the other.

According to a new announcement by the group’s almost rock-star-famous leader, 3DM have decided they are not quite done. Apparently, growing speculation that the group aren’t up to the job of cracking Denuvo has provided them with new inspiration to prove the masses wrong.

“3DM will soon announce that we have a solution to the latest Denuvo encryption used on games including ‘FIFA 16’, ‘Just Cause 3’, and ‘Tomb Raider: The Rise’,” 3DM leader Bird Sister just announced.

Bird Sister

“We [made this announcement] because a lot of players believe we have abandoned cracking due to technical problems, but we will prove it is not the case,” Bird Sister continues.

“We have not yet been stumped [by protection measures].”

Although this announcement flies in the face of some of 3DM’s earlier comments, the news will be received with disappointment by games developers and publishers, not to mention the team at Denuvo. 3DM had been leading the charge on Denuvo-protected titles so a break could’ve given valuable breathing space.

But that said, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and until pirates have tasted the joys of a fully cracked Just Cause 3, their appetites will remain in full force. In other words they’ll believe this game has been cracked when they actually play it at home – thus far there is no sign of a release.

Interestingly, should cracked copies eventually arrive at the hands of 3DM, the group won’t be taking the credit. A somewhat counter-productive comment by Bird Sister indicates that 3DM will not take the usual path on release since they don’t want to attract too much attention.

“Of course, this will not be a high-profile or official 3DM release,” she concludes.

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
This is clearly bribes.

I bet there won't be any cracks for those games for at least a year. Someone paid them of and they realize what a stupid idea it is to fan the flames of their competition.
I bet they already cracked it and are ransoming some shekles.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Denuvo is probably going to be like starforce,uncrackable for years until some random dude uploads a working bypass.
The biggest problem with the scene is the talent,there just isn't any left.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have money. You know how I keep having money? By not spending it all.
"Either way, you never think "what do I do with the money". This is flawed thinking both in games and in real life. You don't have to *DO* anything with money, the point of money is to HAVE MONEY. If you DID something with it, something that wasn't relating to "getting more money", then you wouldn't have money anymore, so what the hell was the point of having it in the first place?" -Norfleet

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
ITT Brazilians get bitchy when people challenge their inflated self worth and noodle strong rationalizations.

"Mah Piracy helps games sell better, It's free Publicity!!!" - Gamer In His Basement Playing Video Games Alone In The Dark

J1M

Arcane
I'd be interested to see a list of countries where digital piracy has been tested in court. Also a list of countries where it is legal and another where it is untested. I suspect some patterns will emerge.

I also wonder what those dictionary-impaired individuals in this thread think is closer to actual stealing, a multi-national corporation knowingly releasing a broken console port on PC, or a teenager sharing an MP3 with a friend?

Last edited:

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
If I were a cracking group I'd do things exactly like they're doing. Gotta feign that weakness, breed overconfidence, then come in and demonstrate it's a slow and insidious killer with a slow kick in the ego. They most likely already broke it and are just waiting for the right time/money.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This is clearly bribes.

My thoughts. Not only their words are completely out of touch with what real members of the pirate scene would say,but also that woman is... showing her face ?
She still could be sued for the group's past cracks, FFS. She KNOWS she won't be. What the hell is going on there ?

Clearly, bribing crackers in conjunction of an efficient DRM can be an effective strategy. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this sounds fishy as hell.

adrix89

Cipher
Forget about Whatevooo and 3dBribes.

The real shit is about to go DOWN. In the next 5 to 10 years the real corporate anal rape is about to come.

HARDWARE DRM.
No more pirated Photoshop, Premier, 3d Max, Visual Studio or whatever.
Now you are going to shill the 5k shekels to your favorite monopoly or be left in the dust.

Time to Open Source or :decline:

flyingjohn

Arcane
This is clearly bribes.

Clearly, bribing crackers in conjunction of an efficient DRM can be an effective strategy. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this sounds fishy as hell.

Why need bribes when you can use something that is simple and effective and is called "actual effort".

What makes denuvo special is that even if you crack one version,the next version is going to update the drm so you are gonna have to start all over again.(and the next version doesn't even have to mean next game,it might be next update)

The scene is used to one size fits all crack for years(with some exceptions),and now you have a drm that requires months or years to crack and as soon as you crack it the next version comes around the corner and you have to start the process all over again.

Hell the scene failed to crack xcom 2 even though some random guy released a crack weeks ago,doubtful firaxis bribed anybody,

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually. Lets compare XCOM console sales, and completely pirated PC. They are not releasing on consoles anymore.

adrix89

Cipher
Does it really increase their sales? I mean by using Denuvu.
It could. In 1-2 years when its super cheap and hadn't been cracked by then you could maybe get 15% extra sales.

Hardcore pirates that you find in eastern europe, china and other hellholes do not buy because they do not have money.
If you have steam,have some decent income and do not have a mental illness I don't see how you still pirate.

Only thing that would really change with perfect DRM would be increase in game price.
Hardware DRM! Hardware DRM! The END is COMING! We are all going to be Microsoft and Intel's bitches just like we are to Apple iCrap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom