Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No (material) upgrade path for leather?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So...about leather armor. Every armor has a 5-tier "upgrade" path, from bronze to sky metal each adding 1 DR/step. But leather doesn't seem to upgrade at all. So is choosing leather over metal a "trap" choice?

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's no "choosing" leather over metal, unless you worry about your 75 gold for the blacksmith.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Leather is for characters who don't want AP restrictions and penalty to their Dodge.
However it does get worse than metal if you get your Crafting high enough as it nullifies all Light Metal disadvantages.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
However it does get worse than metal if you get your Crafting high enough as it nullifies all Light Metal disadvantages.

That was my point. The way I see it, there is no reason not to wear a Manica every time. Late game a dodger can even get away with wearing a fucking Lorica Segmentada. My character is destroying everything thanks to this, ahn...feature.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well it's not a big issue since as T said you don't really invest into anything but schematics.

If game had perks or more chances to level up DEX or if armor *did* actually cut your AP from Alchemy drugs and Silk/Leather had max AP14-16 it would be viable tho.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They should probably implement a couple of unique upgrades for the leader/cloth armours. Maybe more pockets, or something. Who cares, I never use leather anyway and never will. If I'm fighting, I'm wearing metal armour; if I'm not a fighter, I'm walking around in expensive robes.

Tigranes

Arcane
If your character doesn't invest in crafting it could be viable to use leather, especially in Teron. But yes, it does sseem a bit odd at the moment. Far too much a no-brainer for everyone to go 8AP and get upgraded metal armour.

Back in early beta when crafting was minimal/not implemented, the tradeoff was clearer.

Mozg

Arcane
Ordu studded is pretty damn good until you get one of the special 10 armor penalty blue steel armors. If I could find enough reinforced leather in Teron to make a suit I'd do it every time.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Why would there be? I mean, at the end, its just leather. It won't be the armor made from magic metal from the sky.

Light and heavy armors have enough variable options to make them fit any playstyle.

axedice

Cipher
12AP dagger dodge assassin, still using looted 5DR leather armor (arena champion btw) since I don't have craft. There are 10-11 AP blue steel light plates everywhere, but no 12AP manica etc. , other than the 4DR iron gladiator manica that costs 1200. Maybe I missed some merchant?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
12AP dagger dodge assassin, still using looted 5DR leather armor (arena champion btw) since I don't have craft. There are 10-11 AP blue steel light plates everywhere, but no 12AP manica etc. , other than the 4DR iron gladiator manica that costs 1200. Maybe I missed some merchant?

Ordu trader in Maadoran sells a unique Ordu leather armor (11 AP though IIRC). Aside from that, Power Armor is the best light armor in the game by far, no contest.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Ordu trader in Maadoran sells a unique Ordu leather armor (11 AP though IIRC). Aside from that, Power Armor is the best light armor in the game by far, no contest.
Except power armor only allows 1h free. Can be a problem if you want to 2h or ranged.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Except power armor only allows 1h free. Can be a problem if you want to 2h or ranged.

True but he said his char is a dagger dodge assassin, PA is the best choice for that build. Which I don't like that much to be honest, IMO PA should be a heavy armor with higher DR, only increase STR and have a high STR and CON requirement to even wear it. Maybe even a crafting and lore requirement to make it functional at all.

axedice

Cipher
Fun fact : there is a steel manica in Ganezzar suitable for 12AP, with 6DR. You loot it in the Power Armor fight...

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fun fact : there is a steel manica in Ganezzar suitable for 12AP, with 6DR. You loot it in the Power Armor fight...
Huh? So better than blue steel? I never even looted steel after going to Ganezzar...

anus_pounder

Arcane
Auxillery, Lorica Segmentata, Hamata and Musculata can all be upgraded to 12AP. I like to LARP a wannabe big shot in Meteor Musculata and Pretorian Helmet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom