Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Torrasque01

Augur
It's a "timed exclusive" in the sense that the XBONE gets it later. PS4 and PC will be simultaneous.

Azazel

Arbiter
It's a "timed exclusive" in the sense that the XBONE gets it later. PS4 and PC will be simultaneous.

No.

“The wording is we're doing a console debut on PS4,” says Murray. “The thing that that leaves open is a PC version.”

Does that mean a PC version could arrive day and date with the PS4 No Man's Sky - or possibly even before? “If I'm honest, we're taking on quite a lot at the moment,” says Murray. “We're definitely coming to PS4. I would like to come to PC. Whether that arrives the same day - we're a small team!”

Bradylama

Arcane
We're a small team; who knows what we could do! Please ignore the Sony-branded moneybags in the corner!

Azazel

Arbiter
No Man’s Sky Devs On Uncertainty Around PC Release, Mods

When procedurally-generated wonderverse No Man’s Sky was first announced, we thought a PC version was a no brainer/manner/sky-er. Ever since Sony became the wind beneath its promotional wings, however, there’s been some confusion around when a PC version will happen, if ever. Thankfully, I metaphorically (and also literally sometimes shhhh don’t tell) live under developers’ floorboards and subsist on whatever info-scraps might trickle down, so I snatched some clarification on the E3 “winner” from developer Hello Games. Here’s what’s going on.

During E3 managing director Sean Murray told me the following:

“Basically we’re doing a console debut on PS4. That’s all we’re saying right now. But that leaves open a PC version, which we really want to do.”

He was, however, cagey on when a PC version might happen, and he stressed that one hasn’t been formally announced yet. In the wake of that I contacted Hello Games in hopes of getting a response with a little more meat on its bones, a why to accompany the (rather puzzling) what.

The response I received was basically thus: there’s nothing locking Hello Games into only making a PS4 version, but the team is purposefully small and they don’t want to balloon it out so big that it pops, letting out creative potential with a sad “pffffffftheeep.” Given that the game is still a ways off, the studio isn’t entirely sure how much that will limit its ability to do two versions at the same time. For now, then, they don’t want to announce anything. Not until they’re sure.

Assuming a PC version does happen, though, there are a few features that could really make it stand out. The most obvious, of course, is mod support. Pairing No Man’s Sky’s procedural generation tech with player-created ideas, creatures, and assets could make the allegedly limitless game even more limitless, redefining the concept of limitlessness and making (oxy)morons out of us all. Will it happen, though? The team’s not sure yet, but the potential is definitely there.

“We don’t know yet whether we’ll allow mods or provide tools to support them,” said Hello’s Alex Wiltshire. “Our focus, though, is on features that support what for us the game is about – exploring a vast universe. That might inherently involve mods – we’ll know more as we continue making the game.”

He added that, really, that’s the main priority, despite all the seemingly endless tech talk. The goal, Wiltshire insisted, is to design a truly cohesive, interesting game. The whizzbang tech is only a foundation.

“Though it looks like No Man’s Sky is all about tech, for the team it’s actually the opposite,” he said. “It’s always been about the idea first, and then creating the tech it requires. That’s the case for all of its features – they’re about iterating and what fits the concept best rather than fitting the game to certain ways of doing things.”

A fun videogame? Madness. Mark my words: it’ll almost certainly never catch on.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Drax

Arcane
I liked the project at first, but these retards keep annoying me...
First of all, Playstation? Fucking really? This is a PC game by all rights, not a popamole console widget.
Second of all, at this point of development, not knowing if your game is gonna be moddable is BULLSHIT, just say yes or no, asshole.

I am very much looking forward to this game but only if it will be on pc. Very curious to see what this will be on ps4 and what they promised will be there.

ColCol

Arcane
spore-creatures.jpg

I wish spore creatures were programmed react to their godless existence.

Perkel

Arcane
There will be pc version just not on release day.

Probably Sony simply paid them

Azazel

Arbiter
Jives with the all flash, no substance marketing they've been pumping since E3.

potatojohn

Arcane
Fwpj2f6.jpg

This is truly a nextgen space simulator. Not only do engines fire constantly in space (producing no force) but in this game they even fire while landed

Azazel

Arbiter
Calling it now: differences between planets & wildlife will be a simple palette swap. The screenshot above shows an orangey-red planet, the next one might be yellow-green.

Robert Jarzebina

"People are just so used to that type of game that it becomes hard for them to go back to something that's a bit more free," Murray said. "For us, perhaps we're the generation who grew up with Mario and so we understand levels and missions and quests. So a lot of the questions we get from journalists are about that. How does the mission structure work? How does your rank work? That kind of thing.

"The main people that I talk to who are fans are often the generation that's grown up withMinecraft and they don't have those preconceptions. They don't ask any of those questions. They actually assume that it's just all gonna be there and have that freedom. It seems really outdated, almost, to get that question. How many levels? Or, how do quests work? Well, we won't have any quests."

http://kotaku.com/how-a-seemingly-impossible-game-is-possible-1592820595

:troll:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I like how when he gets the very first question, he doesn't give an answer to the question, but starts to talk some other stuff.

Dexter

Arcane
Why don't they show some more gameplay if their game is so awesome? Getting kinda tired of talking heads with the same E3 trailer being repeated over and over again.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So they confirm that the other players will actually be in each other's games and not just like ghosts leaving footprints?
Neat, I imagine the thing he didn't want to reveal was how the endgame involved meeting each other at the center of the galaxy and forming an alliance to beat the reapers big evil lurking there.
The color palette looks really beautiful, quaint, colorful vistas in every gameplay scene.
And the idea of upgrading your omnitool weapon thingie, ship and armor sounds good too, but I don't expect C&C from this. Instead I expect them to screw up like most of todays developers by delivering everything on a silver plate in the first couple of hours.
But if gameplay will be fun or a boring grind will mostly depend on how difficult it is to collect resources anyway. If the environments are really deadly and become even more so the closer you get to the center of the galaxy then it will be great no matter what. But most likely it will be controller-optimized popamole trash.

No matter how shit gameplay will be I will still be very impressed if they really manage to create a procedurally generated galaxy with enough diversified planet environments so you don't have lots of deja vus.

And say what you want about consoles at least there you can be quite sure that the game will be somewhat content complete at release. I hate that disorganized never ending development bullshit Braben and Roberts pull.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom