Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess I'm the only one who is excited about this game. It seems really amazing and interesting. Sure, trading might be crap, there might be nothing to do except exploration and combat, but then I like exploration very much. I was basically playing Morrowind just to wander from one village to another and didn't give much attention to quests. Just fighting in space, getting damaged, running away and landing on a planet just to fix one's ship, discovering a new pretty environment, then getting mauled by a dinosaur sounds great to me.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Difference is Morrowind was 'hand-crafted' for the most part. This looks like it'll be a bunch of procedurally generated junk.

Destroid

Arcane
I guess I'm the only one who is excited about this game. It seems really amazing and interesting. Sure, trading might be crap, there might be nothing to do except exploration and combat, but then I like exploration very much. I was basically playing Morrowind just to wander from one village to another and didn't give much attention to quests. Just fighting in space, getting damaged, running away and landing on a planet just to fix one's ship, discovering a new pretty environment, then getting mauled by a dinosaur sounds great to me.

You got tricked by a cool video.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You are not the only one. It is looking to be a very fun game. Don't let others bring you down, they made up their mind that the game will be shit, although they know NOTHING about the game. But as soon as the game become a PS4 game, it became shit. I bet my life on it, that if the game remained PC exclusive, everybody would hail it as the next best thing.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
But as soon as the game become a PS4 game, it became shit. I bet my life on it, that if the game remained PC exclusive, everybody would hail it as the next best thing.

Was there ever a game that became better when it turned from PC exclusive to multiplatform? Because I can think of plenty of games that turned out worse.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But as soon as the game become a PS4 game, it became shit. I bet my life on it, that if the game remained PC exclusive, everybody would hail it as the next best thing.

Was there ever a game that became better when it turned from PC exclusive to multiplatform? Because I can think of plenty of games that turned out worse.
No, they are not better on console, but certain genres lose almost nothing by visiting a console. And No Man's sky is looking to be an arcade space sim/first person exploration game, which could play nicely even on a console.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
No, they are not better on console, but certain genres lose almost nothing by visiting a console. And No Man's sky is looking to be an arcade space sim/first person exploration game, which could play nicely even on a console.

I wasn't talking about playing the game on a console, but the game having to accommodate for consoles as well, which inevitably means compromise and a shittier game for PC players (when you design a game to be played on a gamepad, it almost always results in a less complex, more streamlined game).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

I wasn't talking about playing the game on a console, but the game having to accommodate for consoles as well, which inevitably means compromise and a shittier game for PC players (when you design a game to be played on a gamepad, it almost always results in a less complex, more streamlined game).
You might have a point there, but despite the game being less complex, it still might turn out to be a good game.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well perhaps if you're lucky enough you can find penisaurs and name them. This will be the ultimate point.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
You are not the only one. It is looking to be a very fun game. Don't let others bring you down, they made up their mind that the game will be shit, although they know NOTHING about the game. But as soon as the game become a PS4 game, it became shit. I bet my life on it, that if the game remained PC exclusive, everybody would hail it as the next best thing.

If you look at the first page of this thread, some of us were already expecting it to be shit just based on the sheer scope of what they were promising. FYI, I've voiced similar reservations about Star Citizen's ship boarding FPS module - and Star Citizen has an AAA budget, is less complex overall, limited to space, and has some serious industry veterans working on it (with experience in making space sims). Meanwhile, No Man's Sky is being built by four people whose credits include such amazing creations as Burnout 3 and Geometry Wars.

Their main problem, really, is that they won't be able to deliver everything they promised in a working state. In order to have everything they've shown result from procedural generation, you need some pretty fucking complex systems to govern all of it and avoid degenerate states. Look at how long it took Paradox to figure out the ins and outs of their "historical simulation" engine, and that's much simpler than what this game is trying to do.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, realistically, expectations should be very low.

The teaser is fucking awesome though.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stop fucking destroying my hobby by taking away all my excitement about games, you bastards :(

Tytus

Arcane
Stop fucking destroying my hobby by taking away all my excitement about games, you bastards :(

You want to be excited about games and yet you have almost 10k posts on the Codex. I don't even... does not compute.

Perkel

Arcane
If Space Engine could take hours of my life i don't see problem with that game doing the same.

It really depends though what they plan to achieve. It is still vague what game really is. From what devs say they don't want to create next X game or focus on combat and trade. They seem to have adventure aproach where players would do small stuff and proceed to center of galactic which is supposed to be "end game".

Johannes

Arcane
A hiking sim in space basically. Will be good for what it is, probably. Mechanics will be bleh but you can just enjoy the scenery before it gets stale.

Bradylama

Arcane
Hopefully there's enough variation between planets and species to keep it from getting stale. They claimed that the closer you get to Galactic Center the older and more dangerous the species will get, but who knows how dangerous that will actually be.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Hopefully there's enough variation between planets and species to keep it from getting stale.

Planets, maybe, but species? No way, procedural modeling isn't that good yet. So they have to do it by hand and that means that the illusion of infinite space breaks as soon as you come across an identical dino on another planet.

Bradylama

Arcane
Yeah, but the procedural models for spore creatures were stylized around simplified joints. They weren't nearly as complex as the creatures presented in the demo videos.

Raapys

Arcane
spore-creatures.jpg

Bradylama

Arcane
Apparently it's a "timed exclusive" so it will eventually get on the PC. Not that this bodes well for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom